• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY short sticks

sdonx

SH Member
Here’s a set I threw together pretty quick actually.
I had a set of recalled Muddy pros so I used those tree brackets.
I bought the steps from DanO.
1/8 alum tubing from Onlinemetals.
Hardware from Mcmaster Carr.
Cam cleats from ebay.
Amsteel from Go2marine.
Stealth stripped up.
Now I need to go jump on them, not worried they seem bulletproof.

0764eb6a5d21800a5d757f2b66eb696c.jpg
5f9b4e450b0947fb27d187010713ec82.jpg
0d64f394f1a41dffcb9588c4e9db5109.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long are the sticks? Look shorter then the typical 24" cut downs you see.

18" with 16" step.
I have a set of beast stick coming next week so I figured I would make a smaller scout/ hunt set.
I read a long thread on here about the length of the stick doesn't really affect hunt height if you use an aider.

The cut sticks thread is a good one, I reposted it with an intro/recap. You are correct on cut sticks having little to do with climbing height

The cut sticks thread is a good one, I reposted it with an intro/recap. You are correct on cut sticks having little to do with climbing height
I couldn't find when I relooked for it

18" with 16" step.
I have a set of beast stick coming next week so I figured I would make a smaller scout/ hunt set.
I read a long thread on here about the length of the stick doesn't really affect hunt height if you use an aider.
Thats true, i just didnt want to have to carry more then three sticks or have more then a one step aider so i went with 24" cut downs with 22" step spacing.

Any reason the cam cleats are on the side of the sticks, unlike on the front of the sticks like muddys (opposite side of standoffs). To me, that seems like it would be difficult to use the cleat and get the overhand knot.

Any reason the cam cleats are on the side of the sticks, unlike on the front of the sticks like muddys (opposite side of standoffs). To me, that seems like it would be difficult to use the cleat and get the overhand knot.
I can stack them really close together that way.

just took them for a test ride. Worked great. I wish the muddy brackets gripped the tree better. I'm excited to hunt with them.

Back