• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY single stick climbing

Redoak47*

On average how long are you making your stick for 1 sticking? I layed out 15 inches left 5/8 on each end and my step spacing was 12 inches.

Why are the majority of the one sticks so short? Still a newbie and looking to find out what the benefit to a shorter stick is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are the majority of the one sticks so short? Still a newbie and looking to find out what the benefit to a shorter stick is.

I don't 1 stick, but most people attach aiders to them, so that lengthens them.

For me a shorter stick offers more maneuverability while climbing and the distance you lose always can be offset with an aider. It also packs better which is always a plus.

I appreciate the help fellas! Looking at the setup on EWO and with the rappel kits it’s like 450$ big investment for not knowing if I’ll be comfortable with it

I appreciate the help fellas! Looking at the setup on EWO and with the rappel kits it’s like 450$ big investment for not knowing if I’ll be comfortable with it

it's super easy and cheap to diy a one stick setup. I cut down a hawk helium and made a 3 step amsteel aider and amsteel rope mod. the whole thing including a Harken cam cleat was just over $100
Add a 40 ft rope and descender for another $100
You can spend more, but you don't need to

I'm building a 17" one stick this evening an was wondering how far down from the top step you all are attaching your cam cleat?

I'm building a 17" one stick this evening an was wondering how far down from the top step you all are attaching your cam cleat?

I've built a couple different sticks to play around with. I started with the API sticks from Bass Pro, and the button on one of those before any mods is exactly 1/3rd the way down from the top of the stick if I recall. I've used that formula for the others I've built and had no issues.

I made a 18 inch stick, from top of step to top of cam cleat is 4.25 inches

JMHO, with aiders, the length of a stick can go in the extreme short range. My current is a cut down Hawk Helium to 10 inches with 3 steps aider. I dont even have the top steps, just a bottom. Alot of people said top step dont add much height due to the method that you are still trying to reach DOWN to unattach the stick from the tree so you can't go too high either way. I found that I agree with this opinion because if I step on the top step, once I set my tether I have to reach farther down either way to unlock the straps, and it only got me an extra 8-10 inches each maneuver.

But other have found success by attaching some gear ties at top to pull up, or pull away the rope from the cam cleats. Just alot of option out there!

I don't use my top step for standing either. I do use it to lock my leg while moving my tether up the tree. If you have a stick with spacious standoffs you can put the step behind your knee or calf to help with stability. Or you can just use your linesman belt.

I first tried one sticking with a full length lone wolf stick. I found the tether line would bind on the top step and I was worried about fraying. I changed to a 20" stick and it worked great all season.

Regarding cost - you can start on the cheap without the ultimate one stick and descender. Make a cheap CAYG aider, and use a figure 8 + autoblock. I used a figure 8 all season and don't plan to switch. Then the only real expense is the rope & it's easy to sell if it's not for you.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

[/QUOTE]

And you don’t like it, come hunting season, when EWO is all backed up, you will be able to sell it here in a hot minute....

Back