• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Spliced Tether and Lineman Rope

Cvan1971man

Anyone do your own tether and lineman rope? I have never spliced anything before and pretty sure that is the way I want to go. Seems crazy to pay what they are asking for 2 sections of 6' of spliced rope.

Anyone do your own tether and lineman rope? I have never spliced anything before and pretty sure that is the way I want to go. Seems crazy to pay what they are asking for 2 sections of 6' of spliced rope.
[/QUOTE
I hand spliced some 24 strand ropes back in the day. Then for a couple years I was viking splicing (sewing the ends with polyester twine, a large eye needle and a palm awl) some kermantle ropes. I never got around to break testing them but I used them for a couple seasons and I’ve used them to pull stuff out of the yard with the truck. I can tell you this, after you hand splice ropes, you can really start to appreciate the extra $15 to $30 places want to professionally splice it for you. The costs you see for tethers and lanyards really isn’t that bad considering the costs of quality ropes and professional splices. If you’re willing to tie your own prusiks, Eastern Woods Outdoors sells 8’ Samson predator with a professionally sewn eye for around $30.
Or if you’re using a rope like oplux, a figure 8 tied eye is nearly as strong as a sewn splice on that particular rope.

Last edited:
I ended up getting some apps that show all/most knots out there. I started studying a lot of the Arborist and Climbing knots and have been tying my own now. From what I’ve read, the Figure 8 keeps the strength of the rope better than most other options. You may be looking at splicing for reducing bulk, but it’s been nice to buy 40+ feet of Rope and being able to “build” and swap out tethers as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up getting some apps that show all/most knots out there. I started studying a lot of the Arborist and Climbing knots and have been tying my own now. From what I’ve read, the Figure 8 keeps the strength of the rope better than most other options. You may be looking at splicing for reducing bulk, but it’s been nice to buy 40+ feet of Rope and being able to “build” and swap out tethers as needed.

What rope did you buy?

I’ve been tying my own with the figure 8 and canyon C-Iv also. I like the stiffness of it for a lineman’s belt

I’ve never spliced a rope myself, at least not for saddle hunting, but everyone I know that has seems to think the $15-$30 up charge is not bad. On 8mm ropes we use the knots aren’t bulky so no need for sewing or splicing. I’ve used 9mm HTP with a sewn eye but the sewn part takes a beating against the tree so I dunno that I would do that again.

I’ve never spliced a rope myself, at least not for saddle hunting, but everyone I know that has seems to think the $15-$30 up charge is not bad. On 8mm ropes we use the knots aren’t bulky so no need for sewing or splicing. I’ve used 9mm HTP with a sewn eye but the sewn part takes a beating against the tree so I dunno that I would do that again.
This is why it’s important to use a thick wall heat shrink with heat activated glue. That way it protects the threads and the heat shrink doesn’t stretch and slide off of the threads

This is why it’s important to use a thick wall heat shrink with heat activated glue. That way it protects the threads and the heat shrink doesn’t stretch and slide off of the threads
Yes, I had a heat shrink tube on there but it was a constant battle of keeping it on there so in fact my threads are fine it’s the heat shrink that got beat up.

Yes, I had a heat shrink tube on there but it was a constant battle of keeping it on there so in fact my threads are fine it’s the heat shrink that got beat up.
The stuff with the heat activated glue works miracles at keeping that tubing in place. I understand your struggles lol

This^^^^ splicing amsteel is ez, but I never tried it with rope. I like a friction knot against an oval for being less bulky than a figure 8 on a bite, but there is no questioning the strength of the figure 8.

I tried hand sewing a while back, not too bad of results, but not as good as splicing. I was looking for short legs on hitch cords and tried sewing combined with splicing, the middle one. Have recently started using the Tuck Bury splice for 12 strand hollow braid, the Oplux. From testing it only showed a one and a half percent loss of strength.
80286875-32D4-4689-8503-42D7DD9C3F65.jpeg

I went back and forth on spliced eyes vs. knots. Certainly splices pack down nicer. However the figure 8 is almost the simplest knot to tie, and retains a high strength percentage.

Back