• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Spur Shin Cups

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
After going through a crisis of listing my aluminum Climb Rights, then deciding to keep them, I chose to fix their shortcomings. I had super pads and the factory bottom strap and was never satisfied with the packability. Also, I could never get them tight enough.

It’s a rain day today so I fired up the coffee and hit the garage for some ol’ fashioned saddle hunter DIY.

First I mocked up the aluminum. I cut, drilled, filed, ground, sanded, and bent up the cups. This wasn’t hard but took the most time. I got them bent just right for my shins. Nothing like a custom fit, right?

4d9217a5f029fd20ae48fb247a71c789.jpg

f0bd2452f93137e4dff45d8556ae6119.jpg

I mounted the cups and got to work on the padding. I had some high end anti fatigue mat laying around that worked perfect. It looks like cheap EVA foam from Walmart but it’s something else. This stuff is plush! I cut and sanded them into a shape I was happy with.

07e1dd575bb293d365945ad921e4205e.jpg

I got the strapping figured and am really happy with how they turned out. I can crank the snot out of them and they are far more packable. Weighing in at 4.2lbs including gaff covers I’m happy.

29d7b0e666cb5fc7731cd1c9874958b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look really nice. I've been thinking of trying the same with mine. Could you post a pic with how they stack?

Great job I have been wondering how to get my spurs to more of a custom fit and this is a good start!!!

Has anyone ever tried grinding down their tree gaffs into more of a poll/tree hybrid length?

Has anyone ever tried grinding down their tree gaffs into more of a poll/tree hybrid length?
I read that would be a big no no cause it would change the angle of the gaff.. from personal experience the pole gaff has been long enough for everything that I have tried climbing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I read that would be a big no no cause it would change the angle of the gaff.. from personal experience the pole gaff has been long enough for everything that I have tried climbing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good to know, thanks.

The spurs are lightyears better! Simple and extremely quick on and off. There is more pressure on my leg from the new pads but the last ones were like lugging lazyboys around. I’ll take the trade off.

I was hunting at 33’ last night and they were awesome.

You can buy the pole gaffs for $80. I haven’t tried them but think I would like them better than the tree gaffs. I’m a big guy and was a little more worried about kick outs than stability.

I only use pole gaffs I hated the tree gaffs but I was wanting too make some custom pads like these

Tree gaffs are too long and wholly unnecessary for most trees. Pole gaffs ensure stability and will work with most trees we hunters would utilize.

I have a set of bashlin aluminum with pole gaffs they weigh 2lb 11oz for both of them

I have a set of bashlin aluminum with pole gaffs they weigh 2lb 11oz for both of them

I have the Bashlin’s as well on Klein steel shanks with pole gaffs. I think they’re maybe four pounds total. If I went to buckle less straps they would probably be lighter and quieter but they are comfortable to climb with.

Did you have too modify them bashlins too use klien shank you got a pic

I had some carbon fiber spurs and honestly the bashlins after being modded are proably lighter weight

Back