• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY stirrup rope platform.

Pack mule

This is how I've eliminated needing any kind of strap on or screw in steps for a platform. I tie a bowline in each end of a 25 foot rope and tie the middle of the rope to length in the carabiner on my bridge. I leave a tail on each bowline so I can tie the stirrups together so they grip the tree and keep my legs from spreading apart. This is just a simple rope only stirrup. It can be made more comfortable by using stirrups from a horse saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4ad5f6d73e7a72155bebbefc57985093.jpg
d7e111967d7cd1c795f1627f007a30ba.jpg
8ac73f15a1b644786f1d149fafb63ffe.jpg
27822e953226c2851eee5849c909d69d.jpg

Re: DIY stirrup rope platform.

interesting, but doesnt really give you left right hold to move does it? Do you pull both legs off the tree, move via your hands and then place your feet against the tree again?

You do not need to put your hands on the tree to move left or right. You can use your knees to keep your hands free. You can walk 360° around the tree.

By extending one leg out and bending the other knee you can also move left or right almost 180 degrees around the tree.

Does standing in the stirrups (which appear to be attached to tree strap) cause the carabiner to pull downward changing the angle of your bridge every time you move? If so, does it affect your stability much? How much harder is it to go around tree?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Would some sort of crampon or plate under your foot add comfort and would it be a reasonable addition.

That's an awesome set up.

Do you have any issues with noise? It looks like you could be making contact with moving parts on the bark in as many as four places.
Or are you able to keep yourself out from the tree?

I'll see what I can do for a video. No real issue with noise since your weight is supported by your saddle you can put your feet to the tree as light as you need to. The rope from carabiner to stirrup keeps you from raking your boots or the raking the stirrup connecting rope against the bark vertically. I don't believe the angle of the bridge changes. The carabiner pretty much stays a inch away from the tree. Not hard to move around the tree at all. It's very stable. Your basically making your body a section of a climbing stand kinda sorta. You can still rest with your knees against the tree, hug the tree, or stand up and take some weight off the saddle. A plate under your foot may add comfort. I think as long as your boots have shanks your good. You could even have a piece of garden hose put in place of the stirrups or something similar.
f0d8102d23f236823e7a83f8db72cacb.jpg
I'm using it with a couple of horse cinches locked into a muddy safety harness and am comfortable for an all day sit. I make the stirrups out of my 25ft 3/8" pull up rope for my bow.

Re: RE: DIY stirrup rope platform.

Pack mule said:
I'm using it with a couple of horse cinches locked into a muddy safety harness and am comfortable for an all day sit.

I have a buddy with the same type of setup. Only he's using a horse cinch with a climbing harness.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Pack mule - thanks for sharing an innovative idea. Very cool and has got me thinking...

Also agree that a video showing how to move about the tree would be helpful.

Thanks again for sharing.

I am very new to saddle hunting so I wondered if anyone thought you could climb a tree with this stirrup rope platform if you had two tree straps instead of one. Just climb like you had a climber on instead.... lift knees pull up tree strap stand up pull up other tree strap and repeat.???? I only started saddle hunting this fall and so I just wonder if this is a ridiculous idea.

Ontariofarmer said:
I am very new to saddle hunting so I wondered if anyone thought you could climb a tree with this stirrup rope platform if you had two tree straps instead of one. Just climb like you had a climber on instead.... lift knees pull up tree strap stand up pull up other tree strap and repeat.???? I only started saddle hunting this fall and so I just wonder if this is a ridiculous idea.

It is possible to do. A member, I think it was sampotter??, posted about it a few months ago.

Back