• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY sub-1lb climbing stick adventure!

Sandor27

OK, so this is my first thread here on SH. Been lurking for a while. I watched the "Lightest Double Sticks to Date 1.2lbs" thread with interest. Not one to resist an engineering challenge, I wanted to see what I could come up with. Criteria: Sub 1lb, 9" wide step, 17" between steps, tight nesting.

I am currently using Leverage 5252 two step sticks and I like them a lot, but they weigh in at 1.68lbs with the rope mod. We can do better!

My first (rather rushed and poorly executed) attempt was serviceable, but bent under a bouncing load. My test was to step up onto it, and then bounce on the steps progressively harder until something gave. I looked at the design and ran a simulation model before building. But I only looked at loads in the vertical direction. Turns out the feet were subject to a bending moment and failed (bent). The step did not bend in the vertical direction. Total weight on the stick with 1/4" Amsteel rope was 1.11lbs (1lb 1 3/4 oz). Also I need to take welding lessons from NCFarmweld! I bought a TIG welder a few months back and these are my first ever aluminum welds.

V1.0 Full.jpg
V1.0 Top.jpg
V1.0 Low Foot Fail.jpg
V1.0 Weight.jpg
V1.0 FEA1.jpg
V1.0 Stack.jpg

So now with the prototype testing complete.... gotta figure out how to solve the bending issue... I will call this first attempt V1.0

I like the heck out of this. Like, mega-uber-ultea like!

Only one thing I'd recommend: longer step spacing. 22" is I think the perfect spacing. You're giving up a bit of height with 17". Not much, but it adds up.

I'm thrilled to see a welded, one piece design though. And I like your standoffs. Minimalism in it's finest.

Beavo, sir. Bravo.

Try some 3 or 4” 1/4” wall square tubing - cut one wall off to make a C shape - use this as your standoffs. I’ll take picture when I can.

you can see the standoffs on the non painted stick (top ones are muddys).

It's 3x3 or 3x4" 1/4" wall square tubing - we cut one wall off, then cut the standoffs to a point. You could do any sort of angle you want there. But this is proven to handle 200-250lbers for three seasons now. 3/16" bent fairly easy with our bigger fellas.

We are looking into getting that size C channel, extruded, to use for this application. Would be perfect.

I will say the points like we do grabs the tree very, very well.DTYH5582 - Copy.JPG

Man you are really close to something great! I love the stacking element of the design!! Stick with it!!! Pun intended..

@Flyerzfan10 - Yes, the lightening hole is what did the foot in. I did not anticipate loading in that direction. The sum of forces yield a net inward pressure on the stick due to the rope angle and vertical movement. Interesting in that the more level you place your rope, the greater the inward force on the feet. In the extreme consider if you ran the rope around the tree 10' up (obviously can't) then the load would be mostly vertical. The solution is to either beef up the component, or distribute the forces. I am going to add a gusset to each foot to triangulate them back to the step. Kill two birds with one stone: keep feet from bending outward, keep step from bending inward. All while retaining the tight stackability.
V1.1 CAD iso.jpg

@Flyerzfan10 - Yes, the lightening hole is what did the foot in. I did not anticipate loading in that direction. The sum of forces yield a net inward pressure on the stick due to the rope angle and vertical movement. Interesting in that the more level you place your rope, the greater the inward force on the feet. In the extreme consider if you ran the rope around the tree 10' up (obviously can't) then the load would be mostly vertical. The solution is to either beef up the component, or distribute the forces. I am going to add a gusset to each foot to triangulate them back to the step. Kill two birds with one stone: keep feet from bending outward, keep step from bending inward. All while retaining the tight stackability.
View attachment 7763
That is a killer design man!! If you core out the post you should be able to easily recover the slight weight gain by adding the gussets. You may even get it lighter still.

@ NutterBuster - I have 17" steps currently and with a double aider on the bottom and single aiders on the rest and a step up to my platform, I get my feet about 20-21' above ground. Going to 22" would net me an additional ~1.5' , that would be nice.

That might be the final design, but that is going to make the sub 1 lb target more difficult! Exactly 0.115 lbs more difficult in aluminum...

When I get my carbon fiber tubes in the mail I'll consider the extra 5" ;)

View attachment 7763

Hell yes - this is essentially turning into a much lighter summit buckstep!

I wish I could find a set of those to tinker with....

@ Kyler195 - I have many different shapes and forms of aluminum available to me. My main consideration here though is to create a superlight stick. The C section foot on your platform itself is about 1/2 lb! That's 50% of my weight budget and I need two of them and also two steps and the stick! Kyler195.jpg

View attachment 7763
That is money!!

The stacking of these is genius...killer job man.

Hell yes - this is essentially turning into a much lighter summit buckstep!

I wish I could find a set of those to tinker with....
I've got 11 of them, but shipping can't be that cheap

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

@ Kyler195 - I have many different shapes and forms of aluminum available to me. My main consideration here though is to create a superlight stick. The C section foot on your platform itself is about 1/2 lb! That's 50% of my weight budget and I need two of them and also two steps and the stick! View attachment 7766

Those sticks with 20" step spacing weigh 1.75lbs. That's with 1/8" wall tubing - we must be off somewhere...They should only weigh a couple ounces. Let me make sure I'm not telling you the wrong size/thickness, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. Will check with buddy and let you know.

@ Kyler195 - I have many different shapes and forms of aluminum available to me. My main consideration here though is to create a superlight stick. The C section foot on your platform itself is about 1/2 lb! That's 50% of my weight budget and I need two of them and also two steps and the stick! View attachment 7766

Should be around 5 ounces, +- an ounce. Still significant, but I would imagine you could drill holes and cut that down some.

3" x 1/4" wall - 3.225lb per foot / 6 (2"inch sections used) - 8.6 ounces*.75(removing one side) = 6.45- the material for the angles cut off = roughly 5.5 ounces. Not as light, but won't bend.

The other issue with these is stacking - we stagger them. that's the issue with square instead of an angle like you used (the most promising part of what you're doing is the stacking). You may be able to figure out a way.

Not to derail, but the only thing I've seen that looks similar is those plastic sticks that posted a few months back. I can't find them now. Anybody remember if those ever went anywhere?

Back