• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY summit openshot

Brokenarrow255

Ok. It was raining all weekend here last week so decided to do a DIY climber for the tethrd. Its certainly a prototype for testing. I know there are some using the lone wolf hand climber but I do like the bigger platform. I will post more when my tethrd arrives.
41806a4c5512e013609faa667a4008c3.jpg
0ea6e9fa2eeb1337b59a2fa6195cce4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Attach the behind the ankle bungee to the screw that is between your feet if you want it to be more secure when climbing.

I have an old Summit Bushmaster that I've toyed with the same idea with over the last few years. I think it might be just a little big for me but I'm curious how this works out for you. Keep us posted.

yup on the stirrups!! I always liked them. I know some folks disagree...

I do like the stirrups too, I am planning to try them also. I should have my saddle April 1st and will load a video of the climber method
Thx

I've had a plan to do something like this for a few weeks. I've got a friend with aluminum plate that I may try also to cut weight. Summits climb well.....very much wanting try this soon. Time.....gotta get time to start! Yours looks great!

I think a plate will work fine and possibly cut some weight, but if this works well I plan to tig expanded aluminum metal to the frame like most millennium tree stands have. I hunt alot from millennium m100U stands with expanded metal platforms and they are dead silent with no possibly of squeaking boots when wet.

I ordered the Lone Wolf Hand Climber, but I would have definitely used the open shot had I already had one. Looks great!

I had a Viper and it was heavily modified. I tried to eliminate the stirrups and do a mod similar to what you have on your platform. I found it very hard to climb with because it puts the feet too close together and required a lot more effort. It was almost impossible to dip your feet forward to climb. I went back to stirrups.

Don’t forget to connect that to you somehow in case it slips or falls down and leaves you up in the air.

Last edited:
I actually considered just installing a couple of square aluminum tubes across the arms in lieu of a solid platform on my Bushmaster but I never made it that far.

Great idea! Hope it works so I can modify mine. Lone Wolf hand climbers are nearly impossible to find and if you do the prices are high.

Yep that's a good price, but they are not in stock yet. I looked at them last week and still showing a estimated instock date.

Suppose I were an idiot... What's this for? I get it's the upper of a Summit climber - I had one. You're using it as a platform, just going up the tree like you did with it as a climber, but making it the bottom?

What I hated about mine was the steep angle you had to use at the bottom to get it anywhere near level at height - and how loud it was going through the brush, and having to work that tree strap through the metal frame to hook it up. It's what made me prefer my Helium sticks once I cut them down and got used to them, combined with the predator platform.

Am I missing something?

Back