• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY tether and LB

Matki15

Built my own tether and lineman’s belt and just figured I would run them by some people with more saddle experience than I do. Tether is 9’ long made of Sterling HTP with 7mm accessory cord for a prusik. LB is 8’ Sterling with 7mm rope tied in a Swabisch hitch and a prusik tender. Both have overhand knots at the end to act as a stopper. If y’all see something that needs to be changed or improved let me know!E32CBC57-1E3E-44A2-9E1F-86953AB54F44.png51F97039-1624-4A48-BF0C-F040878809F0.png

Too make it a single hand operation, take a second carabiner or keychain ring.

5f6df3a853b89b61792abf13409ad409.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use a double fishermans knot on your prusik loop. Google European Death knot to find out more about your doubled overhand knot.

Last edited:
Saves you $50 that you’d spend on a ropeman. And use that double fisherman’s knot for your Prussik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use a double fishermans knot on your prussic loop. Google European Death knot to find out more about your doubled overhand knot.
I’m a little confused now, the knot I’m using on my tether is a figure 8 on a bight. When I googled the knot you mentioned half the results showed an overhand knot and the other half showed a figure 8

I’m a little confused now, the knot I’m using on my tether is a figure 8 on a bight. When I googled the knot you mentioned half the results showed an overhand knot and the other half showed a figure 8
Never mind, I just realized you were referring to the knot on my friction hitch

I use a fisherman's knot for my stopper as well. Don't trust an overhand personally.

Now that I’ve looked into it a little more I don’t either. I don’t get why some companies that make safety lines for hunting use it. Seems like a liability issue
Climbers do use it for rapelling but they make sure the tails are very long since the knot can turn over and run off the end of the line. Apparently it only turns over a few times before tightening.

Climbers do use it for rapelling but they make sure the tails are very long since the knot can turn over and run off the end of the line. Apparently it only turns over a few times before tightening.
Having hit the stopper knot once before, I'll just stick with not using it :tearsofjoy:

Back