• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Tree Squeeze/Choke.

Pj0230

Hi all,
I've been watching some of the cool DIY projects on here and thought I would throw in one that I'm using, as a long time rock and ice climber, safety is always first and foremost in my methods of climbing trees.
This is a simple way to protect oneself if and when you may gaff out of break a CF bolt while ascending the tree. ( I love and use both methods)

I'm using a Metolius Rap ring from my collection of climbing gear on the left and an auto locking biner on the right, an overhand knot on both side's of the choke with a backup knot, I'm using about 8' of 11mm stiff static rope as the Choke and the Predator rope for the lineman.
Notice the position of the biner on the right, if I were to fall the friction from hitting the tree won't open the gate since its turns in the opposite direction.

It works well and chokes down when you come off.

mail.jpegmail-1.jpegmail-2.jpegmail-3.jpeg

I like it, but I donwant to point out a few shortcomings just to keep the creative juices flowing.

One, the biner is technically crossloaded. I dount in this case that it's an issue, but a screw link or delta link may be a better choice.

Two, the device does not appear adjustable. Ideally, a device like you made should encompass 2/3rds of the trunks circumference. On various size trees this is impossible to achieve without an adjustable ring on one side. A prussic would be a quick fix.

But awesome job overall. I would like to see chokes perfected and become mainstream.

I like it, but I donwant to point out a few shortcomings just to keep the creative juices flowing.

One, the biner is technically crossloaded. I dount in this case that it's an issue, but a screw link or delta link may be a better choice.

Two, the device does not appear adjustable. Ideally, a device like you made should encompass 2/3rds of the trunks circumference. On various size trees this is impossible to achieve without an adjustable ring on one side. A prussic would be a quick fix.

But awesome job overall. I would like to see chokes perfected and become mainstream.

The tree I used for the pics is way bigger than what I climb so normally both the ring and the biner would be forward and closer to me, encompassing about two thirds of the tree.
It is adjustable by simply undoing the overhand knot on the biner side and lengthening or shorting the choke... that tree ate up all of my rope in getting some pics.

The tree I used for the pics is way bigger than what I climb so normally both the ring and the biner would be forward and closer to me, encompassing about two thirds of the tree.
It is adjustable by simply undoing the overhand knot on the biner side and lengthening or shorting the choke... that tree ate up all of my rope in getting some pics.
Hey, simple works. TBH, I kinda like how you're rolling.

Have you considered attaching your linemans to your bridge loops, and using the setup as a "tether" at height?

Hey, simple works. TBH, I kinda like how you're rolling.

Have you considered attaching your linemans to your bridge loops, and using the setup as a "tether" at height?

Yes, I've tried it, but felt it was not easy to get around the tree...having two tie-in points as opposed to just the one when using the bridge and a tether, you can slide around a lot easier.
I also tried this setup with two rap rings instead of using the biner but it was too much trouble having to remove the choke when I got back to the ground, I prefer the biner for its simplicity. I see your comment on the possible cross loading, point taken but I feel its a non issue (educated guess) Im not taken a huge fall on the biner.

Ok so I have been working on the exact same concept but I was using a 1" ×2' nylon rigging strap. But I think for ease of use and being able to adjust for different size trees I'm going to make a daisy chain with knots and tubular webbing. Have you ever tried anything like this ?

Ok so I have been working on the exact same concept but I was using a 1" ×2' nylon rigging strap. But I think for ease of use and being able to adjust for different size trees I'm going to make a daisy chain with knots and tubular webbing. Have you ever tried anything like this ?

No but I tried 2” webbing that I have and it was too floppy (for lack of a better word) I feel it’s easier to move and keep the stiff rope up the tree as I climb.

Anybody tried using something like this with the bridge on their saddle Kinda wondering if you might could play with the length of your bridge and make it work Would be sweet to not have to carry anything extra to climb with

Anybody tried using something like this with the bridge on their saddle Kinda wondering if you might could play with the length of your bridge and make it work Would be sweet to not have to carry anything extra to climb with

You would need an adjustable bridge from what I have seen but yes I think an adjustable bridge and a tether that can double as a lineman belt to stay 100% tied off as you navigate around limbs as you climb.

No but I tried 2” webbing that I have and it was too floppy (for lack of a better word) I feel it’s easier to move and keep the stiff rope up the tree as I climb.
Yes I see where it would need to be ridged... does your rope adjust in any way without having to retie the knots for each tree ? On a small tree the two ends would come together and you could slide down the tree ? Or At least that's what my strap did .

Yes I see where it would need to be ridged... does your rope adjust in any way without having to retie the knots for each tree ? On a small tree the two ends would come together and you could slide down the tree ? Or At least that's what my strap did .

Yes, it’s real easy to adjust the length of the rope, I tie either an overhand knot or a figure 8 knot on a bite before I climb, it takes about two seconds.

Yes, it’s real easy to adjust the length of the rope, I tie either an overhand knot or a figure 8 knot on a bite before I climb, it takes about two seconds.
I didn't think rope would be ridged enough but I will try it your way also . I'm hopeing my webbing gets here today to try it out. May I ask why you added the ring instead of just going thru the loop on that one end ?

Well, actually when I first set up the choke i was only using a loop on both sides with a figure 8 for simplicity and I slid my lineman through both loops and clipped back into my harness, it works just as well except that there’s a fair amount of friction where both ropes touch when the lineman’s rope has tension on it....I wanted to keep this friction from reducing the lifespan of the ropes, i’ve been both rock and ice climbing for years and years and have accumulated a massive amount of gear so that stuff is now getting re-purposed

So the ring and Carabiner are attached to your lineman's or to the bridge on your saddle?

Can someone tell me what the idea behind the choker strap is?
With a lineman belt you can still fall to the bottom of the tree. With a squeeze it makes it safer and you dont fall anywhere . You just respike in . And continue to climb . I never have used one but my son is climbing now and I'm making it 100% as safe as possible

Back