• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Ultimaider - interior "step" material

Websniper

Does anyone know what the material they're using for the "step" part of the Ulitmaider? Needs to be flexible enough to not break, but rigid enough to keep the rings for the additional steps in place. SaddleHunter Youtube channel shows it, but I'm not sure what it is. Seems wrapped in foam too. Don't care about that part.

Thanks!

Dip that section in Plastidip perhaps? I've never tried it on a strap but it seems to be pretty firm/hold it's shape on tool handles (and if you strip if off it still holds shape)

It’s 1/2” pvc… it holds a bend not a fan. I have been trying out different materials. Ordered some delrin rod to try out

C08EA206-29C9-4549-BA8D-A85E2AA6FB4C.jpeg

Pex seems like a great choice for this. It’s light and has some flex. It’s waterproof, strong and cheap.

I just used rubber fuel line in mine and they work perfectly

Does anyone know what the material they're using for the "step" part of the Ulitmaider? Needs to be flexible enough to not break, but rigid enough to keep the rings for the additional steps in place. SaddleHunter Youtube channel shows it, but I'm not sure what it is. Seems wrapped in foam too. Don't care about that part.

Thanks!

if it is flat, then it might be biothane webbing (a rubber coated webbing commonly used for dog collars, horse halters, and climbing companies use it or aiders).....they have it in multiple sizes at strap works

if it is flat, then it might be biothane webbing (a rubber coated webbing commonly used for dog collars, horse halters, and climbing companies use it or aiders).....they have it in multiple sizes at strap works

See my post above. That’s what I took out of the ultimaider. Pretty sure it’s pvc.

Thanks for the info folks. I suspected it was either PEX or maybe PVC. I'm surprised that the PVC would flex enough to not break. I think I'll grab a short section of each to try out.

So, I can't see how in the world 1/2 PEX or PVC is fitting inside this tubular webbing... It's 1" tubular. I'm going to have to try some 3/8 PEX. To the hardware store!

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the top step collapsing once you step in the bottom step. I ended up making my 2 steps independent of each other and just zip tying them together. The only problem I ran into with this was the clanging of the Triglides, but I just wrapped in stealth strips to fix.

Attachments

• CFD386E5-92F5-43F9-A33B-B63844B56AD0.png
    CFD386E5-92F5-43F9-A33B-B63844B56AD0.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
So, I can't see how in the world 1/2 PEX or PVC is fitting inside this tubular webbing... It's 1" tubular. I'm going to have to try some 3/8 PEX. To the hardware store!
Yeah, 1/2” didn’t work for me either. Tried and tried. Downsized to 3/8” and it worked perfectly.

Screenshot_20211119-232223_Photos.jpgI used 2 pieces of 8mm rope taped together for each step in mine it was a pita to get it in but made a nice step

Back