• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do you climb with your bow?

bfriendly

Curious if climbing with the bow strapped to your backpack is common. When I get to hunting height, I put a strap around tree and hang my pack on an s hook. Then I have been retrieving the bow with a paracord line, but wonder if I should just climb with it…..that $79 TideWe pack holds it nicely! I’m trying to get up the tree quicker and my 3 biggest time killers are retrieving the bow, the quiver and what to do with it, and base of tree readiness. I’m having to take off my pack when I get to my tree and then get ready to climb…….which includes putting it back on.
I’d like to arrive at my tree ready to climb. I’m gonna start walking in with my saddle on, knee pads too. The only thing I’ll carry is my one stick. I should be able to get to tree, hang stick, tighten leg straps and start climbing. This is the plan for the next hunt anyway. What are y’all doing to save time? My best time is about 25 minutes minutes and I feel like I should be able to get it under 20.

I’ve considered it, you’re definitely right. It would save you some climb time. I also hate dealing with a pull up rope. Glad you posted this, might have to give strapping it to my pack a try.
Also could consider a small carabiner hooked to the Molle on your saddle and then hook it on one of your cams? Might cause too much sag in your saddle unless you wear suspenders.

I had a bow sling on it for a few times, but that was a pain so I got rid of it. I’m doing something different just about every time I go up….I’m a newbie so I guess that’s expected. Biggest changes next time will be using a clip on my tether versus a gear tie, walking in wearing the saddle and I’m gonna try climbing with the bow strapped on. This pack has flaps as well as straps like it wants to hold the bow, so I probably should let it.
F06F4032-BC75-4DBE-AC63-F436880E8EB9.jpeg

I've thought about it, but here's my two cents... Climbing with your bow itself would be inherently no big deal. It's just some strings and carbon and metal, and pretty harmless on its own. Your broad heads, on the other hand, are razor sharp instruments. I suppose I could have a mishap and those puppies stay in the quiver, but there's also a chance they might not, and it just makes me too nervous to do it.

I believe I could strap it to my pack if needed, but feel like it’s just another thing to get caught on something when I’m climbing up. I tend to hunt trees with a lot of branches. A little extra time to deal with a pull up rope doesn’t bother me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've thought about it, but here's my two cents... Climbing with your bow itself would be inherently no big deal. It's just some strings and carbon and metal, and pretty harmless on its own. Your broad heads, on the other hand, are razor sharp instruments. I suppose I could have a mishap and those puppies stay in the quiver, but there's also a chance they might not, and it just makes me too nervous to do it.
X2. I purposely set my bow away from the tree where I won't land on it (or more importantly the arrows) if for some reason I did fall from the tree. Those razor sharp broadheads deserve some consideration when you're back in there a ways. For the extra couple of minutes it takes I'll pull it up.

I climb with my bow attached to my pack using the Bowsnatcher. I carry my one stick in and can start climbing as soon as I pick my tree. I can attach and remove the bow without taking my pack off.

e93bd21fcd45403558913b0883c31821.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been attaching my bow to my pack the way it was designed but I believe the pack material is killing the bow string.

I climb with my bow attached to my pack using the Bowsnatcher. I carry my one stick in and can start climbing as soon as I pick my tree. I can attach and remove the bow without taking my pack off.

e93bd21fcd45403558913b0883c31821.jpg

That’s a pretty cool setup Tim. So are there no pouches on your saddle? That would make turning around much easier. I am having to deal with a pouch holding my rappel line, but it’s doable.

That’s a pretty cool setup Tim. So are there no pouches on your saddle? That would make turning around much easier. I am having to deal with a pouch holding my rappel line, but it’s doable.

Thanks! I use the Treehopper Recon with no pouches on it.

Ive always used a pull up rope of some sorts. Recently i have been using a doyles gear hoist which works excellent but is one more thing to carry. Right now my pack is a trophyline platow and i have an eberlestock x2 on the way. When i get to tree i remove my sticks and platform from my pack and attach to my saddle . This week im gonna try attaching my bow to the pack once the sticks are gone and climbing with it ,hopefully it goes well and eliminates one more thing.

when I get to tree I put my first two sticks on attach two to my saddle and my platform stays attatched to my pack. Bow always gets pulled up. Always have it on opposite side of the tree I’m climbing too

I believe I could strap it to my pack if needed, but feel like it’s just another thing to get caught on something when I’m climbing up. I tend to hunt trees with a lot of branches. A little extra time to deal with a pull up rope doesn’t bother me

Same here. I though about it but decided that there was more chance of getting caught on limbs and vines and either damaging the bow or causing it to fall. I’m using a gear hoist now too so it saves a decent amount of time without having to wrap and manage paracord.

I've done it. However it's usually whenever I've done something stupid like forget my rope or assume the pre-set tree that I planned on hunting didn't have a rope.In fact, It just happened the other day. That one wasn't totally my fault. The rope was cut half way up from being chewed on by a squirrel I assume. Anyway it's a PIA but not a huge deal. I usually hang it 2 or 3 steps above me as I climb and repeat till I get to the top. I had spare rope but I didn't realize it till after I got in the tree. So I guess that part was my fault! Also I use a bow sling for elk hunting. Sometimes I leave it on for deer season. It has come in handly a time or two if I don't have a rope.

I've done it. However it's usually whenever I've done something stupid like forget my rope or assume the pre-set tree that I planned on hunting didn't have a rope.In fact, It just happened the other day. That one wasn't totally my fault. The rope was cut half way up from being chewed on by a squirrel I assume. Anyway it's a PIA but not a huge deal. I usually hang it 2 or 3 steps above me as I climb and repeat till I get to the top. I had spare rope but I didn't realize it till after I got in the tree. So I guess that part was my fault! Also I use a bow sling for elk hunting. Sometimes I leave it on for deer season. It has come in handly a time or two if I don't have a rope.
I keep a bow sling in my bag. It’s light and easy enough I can throw it on when I need to drag. Most of my lands private and mine so If and when I shoot one I leave my sticks and platform set up and usually just bring my bow and kill kit with me. Then get the Stocks and platform later on

So I’ve tried it the last three times and taking the bow up with me works great! I am sending it down via paracord though, with the other end attached to my tether/rappel rope to help get it down. When I get to hunting height, the first thing to come out is my gear strap w/S hooks. One for the bow and another for my pack. The pack comes off and gets hung, then the bow comes off easily. Getting the bow strapped back on the pack isn’t quite so easy so I let it down via cord. I also made myself walk in wearing my saddle and knees pads and only carrying my stick. It wasn’t bad at all……..Granted, it’s only a 500-700 yard walk!
I’m one sticking and trying to go to trees previously picked out with base areas prepared/cleaned up. I can go to the tree, strap on my stick and climb to the top. Then tether up and move stick. . If I have to stop half way because deer are closing in, I might be able to pull out gear strap and hang pack. My release goes on when leaving the truck, if I haven’t put it on before I left the house…..usually when I get in the truck. Anywho, the last 3 times were the best climbs so far, by far. I almost have the hang of it.

I tried it but the trees I find myself climbing have way too many branches and having a bow on my back was just another thing to get snagged

I had a bow sling on it for a few times, but that was a pain so I got rid of it. I’m doing something different just about every time I go up….I’m a newbie so I guess that’s expected. Biggest changes next time will be using a clip on my tether versus a gear tie, walking in wearing the saddle and I’m gonna try climbing with the bow strapped on. This pack has flaps as well as straps like it wants to hold the bow, so I probably should let it.
View attachment 55765
I have this pack, too. Holds a bow great; however, recently I decided to put the bow on my back and carry my sticks so I could get climbing faster. Unfortunately between user error and a broken part, I lost my quiver and didn't know it until I got to my tree. Had to backtrack, lost the morning sit as a result. I liked the idea, but have since gone back to putting sticks and platform on the pack, carrying the bow and hauling it up. I know the likelihood of having some issue with the broadheads is hopefully rare, but I prefer to haul the bow up---just in case. Good luck to you however you decide to roll!

I don't even like bringing my pack up with me but I do. I use small screw in hooks to hang my stuff on. I have a small pouch on my saddle with them in it. When I get my hooks where I want them I hang my pack and pull up my bow and hang it up. Most of the time I like to hang in a cluster of three to four trees. I use a LWHC so as I climb I spin into the center of the trees and hang my stuff on different trees and most of the time I have something to lean against. Very rarely do I climb a single tree. I have tried bringing my bow up with me but it seems to get stuck in branches on the way up and didn't like the hassle.

I don't even like bringing my pack up with me but I do. I use small screw in hooks to hang my stuff on. I have a small pouch on my saddle with them in it. When I get my hooks where I want them I hang my pack and pull up my bow and hang it up. Most of the time I like to hang in a cluster of three to four trees. I use a LWHC so as I climb I spin into the center of the trees and hang my stuff on different trees and most of the time I have something to lean against. Very rarely do I climb a single tree. I have tried bringing my bow up with me but it seems to get stuck in branches on the way up and didn't like the hassle.
Jr, if you use a strap or cord for your gear, I think it’s a lot faster, adjustable (can move hooks) and lighter. I use webbing straps with clip connectors, then put S hooks on it, love it and 2 of the hooks will stay on it. I’ll make an amsteel cord here soon.

Back