• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do you remove your lineman's rope?

Hirschjaeger

Once your bridge is attached to your tree tether, does anyone out there keep their lineman's rope around the tree as a redundant safety measure? Kinda makes me pucker thinking I'm relying solely on the bridge to not fail, even though that probably gives you better maneuverability.

I did for a while. Now, I trust the tether rope with a redundant Prusik attachment to the tether line and a dual bridge. Many will consider this as un-needed weight, which is kind-of hilarious. What they should be laughing at is my paranoia due to fear of heights instead, which is actually hilarious when you're only 20 ft off the ground.

If you don’t trust your tether you shouldn’t be up in a tree... I climb only when I positively trust my system. Start and ground level and build that trust. It’s on you to make sure everything is good to go.

I personally climb with a linesman but at hunting height I stow it. You could always run a double tether and clip it to your bridge for redundancy and to make your wife sleep better at night....

Side question... anyone got a got to length for both their tether and lineman rope?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Side question... anyone got a got to length for both their tether and lineman rope?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

If you’re tying versus splicing, I went with 10ft for each because your knots will eat up more rope that you think.

[mention]DanO [/mention]has a sale going on the Sterling HTP Static Rope (10mm). You can order it by the foot ($0.99) and have him cut it in two lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don’t trust your tether you shouldn’t be up in a tree... I climb only when I positively trust my system. Start and ground level and build that trust. It’s on you to make sure everything is good to go.

I personally climb with a linesman but at hunting height I stow it. You could always run a double tether and clip it to your bridge for redundancy and to make your wife sleep better at night....
I did the double tether for a while, it took some time to get used too and trust these awesome thin climbing ropes. If you go back to the early trophy Line days, we had massive seat belt type webbing that could lift a house. That was easy to trust.

I've done it two ways actually.

1: keep it on but loose
2: rig it as a secondary tether

Keeping it on restricts movement for me. Using it as a secondary tether seems like the best option for me. I actually keep it hooked to my lineman loops as well just in case the bridge were to fail.

Im still not 100% comfortable after 2 season of hunting to trust a single attatchment point. Especially if I already have the rope on me.

Never keep mine on. If you want some safety redundancy tie the tail or tag end of your tether to your saddle waist belt. That way if your bridge, bridge loops, prussic fails you will still be attached to your main line.

I’ve never left it on the tree as a backup, but I have used it as a stabilizer in a multi-trunk tree. It was a willow so all the trunks had serious lean to them. I got where I wanted and tethered in and the attached my lineman’s rope to another trunk to hold me in place. I clipped in to my lineman loop instead of my bridge.

As soon as my bridge is in the tether the linesman is off and in my left forward dump pouch.
If you don't trust a SINGLE piece of your system DON'T leave the ground. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

If I left my lineman belt around the tree it would be more of a hinderance then helpful. Trust your equipment and take it off.

No, because if you get slack in it and it falls to your feet and gets hung up on some tree bark or your platform or something you might be in a precarious situation where you need to put slack in your tether to reach down and retrieve it.

I'm new to saddles this year so still kinda chicken but I girth hitch my linesman's loose at waist level just like my tether and hook it to my RCH, I also have 1/8" amsteel as a second bridge, yep I'm chicken LOL. I'm feeling pretty good about my equipment as of lately though and am starting to feel silly using that Xtra stuff but it's not in the way or affecting anything so.....

It is not effecting you until it is and you are in trouble. Throw your lineman on for climbing, then switch to your tether at height. If you don't feel comfortable with that you are only asking for an accident at height! Practice a foot off the ground in the backyard until you feel comfortable.

Always inspect your equipment before each climb .A linemans belt along with a tether will limit mobility and cause more noise when moving.If the LB gives you more confidence you can make it work, and over time your confidence in your tether may build to where you trust the tether alone. Jimmy Hendrix played a right handed guitar left handed and made that work for him.

You're just more comfortable with your linesman because you use it more.

If you think about it, the linesman is your only safety measure climbing up the tree, but that isn't bothering you, its the tether that does. That tells me you need more time tethered to the tree- I'd try at ankle height and just hang from it for an hour or so to get comfy.

I'm new to saddles this year so still kinda chicken but I girth hitch my linesman's loose at waist level just like my tether and hook it to my RCH, I also have 1/8" amsteel as a second bridge, yep I'm chicken LOL. I'm feeling pretty good about my equipment as of lately though and am starting to feel silly using that Xtra stuff but it's not in the way or affecting anything so.....
That's true redundancy that isn't in the way like a LB. I did that my first year also. Just clipping a second prussic on the same tether doesn't back up a tether failure. Now I pretty much climb with a tether (no LB) and use one bridge/tether at height.
I just tie the tag end to a linesman loop for a bit of redundancy and to keep the tag end from flopping around.

I just climb with my tether when I one-stick. I don’t own a linemans belt anymore. I carry a backup oplux tether and caribiner for “what-ifs” and to get around branches. I use a 3:1 mechanical advantage to keep the slack out of my tether as I’m climbing up the stick. I get to the top of the stick and slide the tether up the tree.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back