• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anybody use military surplus gear for hunting?

Over pants from Sportsmans Warehouse are fantastic for slipping over the saddle during cold weather. The used to sell them (last year) in packs of 3 for ~$20...brand new. Not sure what they cost now.

Over pants from Sportsmans Warehouse are fantastic for slipping over the saddle during cold weather. The used to sell them (last year) in packs of 3 for ~$20...brand new. Not sure what they cost now.
Are over pants sort of like a waterproof, elastic band jogging pant?

Are over pants sort of like a waterproof, elastic band jogging pant?
Oops, it was Sportsmans Guide, not S Warehouse.
They called them over pants but I think they were as much a liner pant as they were an over pant.
They were not a jogging pant.
They were a quilted insulated, nylon pant with reach thru pockets which are nice for running the bridge or linemans belt thru. They also have a high back that extends above the top of my saddle.
SG has similar versions but I dont see the exact version I have. SG items seem to come and go as stuff is available to them. Not sure if they will ever have them again or not. I bought 6 pair because stuff like this seems to disappear from availability.
Mine came in a 3 pack for ~$20...can't beat that price.
I may post a pic later.

The Gen III cold weather gear is stupid warm, it's not super quiet material, but you can find it for super cheap if you look for a good deal. It's also pretty lightweight. Definitely size down on the pants. Mediums fit like a large. They are only like 8oz heavier than the first lite puffy pants for 1/4 the price.

GI Extreme Cold Weather GEN III Level 7 Primaloft Pants Urban Grey (Medium Regular) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017JCHOQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_C.BMDbXTJJF9N

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

These are the surplus pants from Sportsman's Guide. I made shorts out of them mostly because I wanted to be able to slip them on or off without having to mess with my knee pads. The shorts go down just to the knee pads. I suppose they could be left full length but knee pads need to be on the outside of these or they will wear thru against the tree.
The pull cord keeps them from sliding down if I chose to wear while walking and they also have that little strap and snap on the side that can link to molly loops or saddle loops, etc. The reach thru pockets are great for running the bridge or LB thru. Zip fly for when nature calls. Zips on the legs to slip over boots in case you want them full length.
The high back stays up well but can also be tucked under the saddle's back rest.
These are extremely light and stuff well in a pack and go on over clothing and saddle easily after being in the tree.
Down sides...Definitely not for walking thru briars. They would snag easily. In snaggy brush, leave them in your pack until you get to the tree.
Also, not waterproof at all. I wonder about trying scotch guard type stuff but I worry about the odor. I have some old rain pants that would make a rain resistant outer for these...not sure about how that would work.
These are quite warm and for around $7 per pair, they are a fantastic piece of dry, cold weather gear.
If you can find some, buy them

8a1cb4bbeb7eb59fa0bd682b4c383b1f.jpg
683b793821fc261d34e7bedffdcec3d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oops, it was Sportsmans Guide, not S Warehouse.
They called them over pants but I think they were as much a liner pant as they were an over pant.
They were not a jogging pant.
They were a quilted insulated, nylon pant with reach thru pockets which are nice for running the bridge or linemans belt thru. They also have a high back that extends above the top of my saddle.
SG has similar versions but I dont see the exact version I have. SG items seem to come and go as stuff is available to them. Not sure if they will ever have them again or not. I bought 6 pair because stuff like this seems to disappear from availability.
Mine came in a 3 pack for ~$20...can't beat that price.
I may post a pic later.
Thats pretty neat, i will have to try that!

The Gen III cold weather gear is stupid warm, it's not super quiet material, but you can find it for super cheap if you look for a good deal. It's also pretty lightweight. Definitely size down on the pants. Mediums fit like a large. They are only like 8oz heavier than the first lite puffy pants for 1/4 the price.

GI Extreme Cold Weather GEN III Level 7 Primaloft Pants Urban Grey (Medium Regular) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017JCHOQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_C.BMDbXTJJF9N

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Those look super warm! Do you slide a camo shirt over?

These are the surplus pants from Sportsman's Guide. I made shorts out of them mostly because I wanted to be able to slip them on or off without having to mess with my knee pads. The shorts go down just to the knee pads. I suppose they could be left full length but knee pads need to be on the outside of these or they will wear thru against the tree.
The pull cord keeps them from sliding down if I chose to wear while walking and they also have that little strap and snap on the side that can link to molly loops or saddle loops, etc. The reach thru pockets are great for running the bridge or LB thru. Zip fly for when nature calls. Zips on the legs to slip over boots in case you want them full length.
The high back stays up well but can also be tucked under the saddle's back rest.
These are extremely light and stuff well in a pack and go on over clothing and saddle easily after being in the tree.
Down sides...Definitely not for walking thru briars. They would snag easily. In snaggy brush, leave them in your pack until you get to the tree.
Also, not waterproof at all. I wonder about trying scotch guard type stuff but I worry about the odor. I have some old rain pants that would make a rain resistant outer for these...not sure about how that would work.
These are quite warm and for around $7 per pair, they are a fantastic piece of dry, cold weather gear.
If you can find some, buy them

8a1cb4bbeb7eb59fa0bd682b4c383b1f.jpg
683b793821fc261d34e7bedffdcec3d9.jpg

I will have to pick up some! That is a really idea of turning them into shorts!

I will have to pick up some! That is a really idea of turning them into shorts!
I looked thru the SG catalog this morning. I can't find these anymore. They sell similar ones but they aren't as full featured as mine and they cost a bit more.
Prime example of when you find a piece of gear you like, buy extras, because sure as shootin', it will be discontinued.
These are German made so I assume they are German Army surplus. You may find them elsewhere.
I bought 6 pair...gave 2 away as gifts to other saddle buddies...they love them. Much warmer than the Tethrd SBW Heater.

I looked thru the SG catalog this morning. I can't find these anymore. They sell similar ones but they aren't as full featured as mine and they cost a bit more.
Prime example of when you find a piece of gear you like, buy extras, because sure as shootin', it will be discontinued.
These are German made so I assume they are German Army surplus. You may find them elsewhere.
I bought 6 pair...gave 2 away as gifts to other saddle buddies...they love them. Much warmer than the Tethrd SBW Heater.

Ok thanks, I will look for some!

Back