• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anyone persevere their own deer hides?

Just_Hangin_N_GA

SH Member
I have been skinning out my deer for years and performing a detailed autopsy on them to see the organs I actually hit for future reference on shot angles and such. I also open the stomach to see what the deer are eating at the time and share the pictures with my hunting buddies. Recently I started saving the hides with the intent of preserving them. Well let's just say that I haven't got past the intent part yet. Last year I did start to flesh one out but was worried I was messing up the deer hair as I scraped off the flesh, so I stopped and ended up letting my hides go to waste yet again. I told myself I wasn't going to save anymore hides but I killed a doe this past Saturday and before I knew it, I had the hide rolled up and on the tailgate.
Do any of you save and preserve your deer hides and if so do you have any advice on best practices or resources. I know I need to decide hair on or hair off but I am willing to try anything. I really want a pair of leather moccasins or something cool to be able to use as much of the deer as possible.

Attachments

• EE2683BF-3841-4A6D-AA03-295DEFF37137.jpeg
    EE2683BF-3841-4A6D-AA03-295DEFF37137.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 3122201E-82DB-4E9E-B00C-E48D339A1FB7.jpeg
    3122201E-82DB-4E9E-B00C-E48D339A1FB7.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 35
I brain tanned a hide several years ago. Also have prepped several and then given them away. After fleshing them out, I sprinkle wood stove ashes(hardwood) on the hair side to completely cover it, then roll it end to end and submerge in a trash can half full of water with a rock or something on top of the hid to keep in under. Keep it out of the sun, its cold here during deer season, so I never have had issues...

The ash mixed with water makes lye. This will dissolve and remove all the hair. After like 5 days you cantake it out and rinse it off and it will be good to stretch. I tack mine on a 2x4 frame to stretch/dry for a bit.

do a search for a brain tan recipe online. Pretty simple...dont use a pot you'l;l ever want to use again.

I made a pair of moccasins and a few knife pouches. HAve fun!

I Am also interested in learning how to tan deer hides with hair on. Does anyone have experience with NuTan or knoblochs tanning products?

I can't believe with all the traditional guys on this forum that some of you don't tan your deer hides. Heck, I envision most of you sneaking through the woods with your self bow, hand made arrows, stone broad heads.... all while wearing clothes made from critter hides you have harvested.
I believe ya'll are just holding out on the newbie.

I did buckskin once when I was a kid with my dad. It was brain tanned based on a book I had. Pretty labor intensive and the odor of some parts of the process pretty bad.

You'd have to be pretty motivated to do that frequently.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Might want to check out this thread….

Might want to check out this thread….
Thanks, I thought I looked through most the threads but there are so many and I obviously missed this one.

Back