• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anyone use activated carbon? Not just scentlok

MoBowGuy

So does anyone here make or buy and use activated carbon powders? For instance, could a teaspoon be pored inside your hunting boots and/or socks to help with scent. Or put a tablespoon inside your airtight totes with your clothes to help with scent absorption from opening and closing your totes. Maybe even making a soap out of it and going scent free with it

I’ve spoken with a few guys that are in a club with @EricS . They say that there have been several times they dumped gallons of activated carbon powder on Eric and it didn’t help at all. But personally I have no experience with it.

Lol- Huck, sounds like me this year, all the scent free work and the deer blew at me more than ever.
Carbon powder:
I have used it for my boots.
Too remove scent from my washer & dryer.
Put it in totes.
The stuff is nasty black powder that gets everywhere and is tough to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used it to treat some gloves this year. Not sure how effective it was. You can put it in your boots but a boot dryer helps your boots more than anything. I messed up and got into @huck72412 truck with my scentlok on and got winded every time after that. Not sure what that was about. That was after he had been riding a caveman around so who knows.

I use carbon synergy in my hunting totes, in my boots and truck. Seems to work pretty good in my boots. Carbon synergy makes a body wash/shampoo. Honestly though I'll probably switch to activated carbon filters cuz the powder gets in everything. Which I don't really care about but just try and put it in the wash. Your spouse will thank you.

Ditto Exhumis. I like not having to deal with the mess,measuring ,cleaning,etc. I use activated carbon filters in sealed containers for storage of everything hunting. I ozone all my gear with a dry wash bag which is so easy its ridiculous. They even have a ozone "suit " for those who can`t shower before the hunt. I have most of my gear in my dry wash bag already set to hunt with. All my sticks and platforms have been in the bag and are currently in scent free containers with carbon filters and ready to hunt. I will do a video of my system if there is any interest.

I used to dip all my cloths in a carbon/water solution after every wash and let hang dry... right down to my “hunting socks & underwear.” Then while still damp I’d put each garmet in a trash bag with carbon powder and shake it up. Powder in my boots. I’d even put some in my hand with a little water and rub it on like lotion. Maybe it worked sometimes and maybe it didn’t but I still got winded. To me that stuff was way more trouble than it was worth. A couple years ago I took a step back. My scent control regiment was too big of a chore and was sucking the fun out of killin deer. Now when I go hunting I look like a hunter, not a coal miner.
I do still put some on my ghillie suit though... but that’s more for me...that thing stinks!

I used to dip all my cloths in a carbon/water solution after every wash and let hang dry... right down to my “hunting socks & underwear.” Then while still damp I’d put each garmet in a trash bag with carbon powder and shake it up. Powder in my boots. I’d even put some in my hand with a little water and rub it on like lotion. Maybe it worked sometimes and maybe it didn’t but I still got winded. To me that stuff was way more trouble than it was worth. A couple years ago I took a step back. My scent control regiment was too big of a chore and was sucking the fun out of killin deer. Now when I go hunting I look like a hunter, not a coal miner.
I do still put some on my ghillie suit though... but that’s more for me...that thing stinks!
Sounds right. If you aren't having fun it's not worth it.

I ozone my gillie suit . No stink.

I was talking with a primitive skills guy the other week. He is apparently pretty darn knowledgeable although hard for me to guage. Was told he had been going to dan browns tracker school once a year for the past 10 years or so. Not sure if that makes him an expert but more than me at any rate.

Anyway, he told me that Indian hunters used to take white wood ash and apply it to their body (while very dry or would irritate skin but doesn't matter if gets wet or sweaty afterwards for some reason) and rubb the black charcoal to pits, groin, feet and behind ears. Said this hides all scent.

I can just picture my wife's face watching me do this by our firepit before a hunt. Not sure if it works but might be worth it just for that :). Guess you would have to do it to clothes too unless you plan to hunt in a loincloth or something. Although it would be fun to show up to the DNR sign in station like that for a quota hunt.

@CrackbottomLouis

That's funny, I had two guys I ran into on Bartram Forest earlier this year. They were walking around with pants, no shirt. Said they hated sweating and preferred to go shirtless during hotter hunts. Had me tickled.

But more and more, I find myself scouting and paying attention to wind during that time. I try to gauge dominant winds and such and plan future hunts around that. 10,000 years ago I'm thinking my ancestors were doing the same.

I sprinkle some activated carbon on my outer layers and keep them in a plastic tote. It is messy, but I dress in an out building anyway.

Does it help, I don't know for sure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I just wash all my clothes in hunting uv dampening detergent and then keep them in a vaccum seal bag with pine needles and acorns. Cant walk 5 ft around the southeast without being next to a pine tree.

I got some fish aquarium filter carbon that’s crushed, put it inside some panty hose, tied a knot in one end and drop that into my weatherproof plastic bin with my clothing.

I use the bulk carbon for water filters you can buy on Amazon for cheap. I grind it in a Ninja (more surface area) then use a funnel and toss it in pantyhose, tie the ends and stuff it in both boots until the next hunt. I also use a couple in my cooler I use to carry my clothes in to and from hunting areas. It seems to work really well to pull the odors out of my boots and hunting gear as well. The pantyhose helps keep it contained while still being usable but some still does escape the pantyhose. I can split 5lbs. with a buddy and lasts all season. He uses it similarly but also uses it as a powder on socks, sweat prone areas, etc.

I had an old timer show me that trick. It is a very strong and natural cover scent.
That and wood smoke...deer smell smoke all the time, it seems not to put them on alert. I see the most deer after the second day of deer camp, after spending a day around camp fire and hanging outer layers up near the fire.

I wash my clothes and other gear in scent free detergent, air dry then toss a couple of the activated carbon pellet mesh bags in their air tight containers and call it a day.

Aquapapa 6 lbs Activated Carbon Charcoal Pellets in 6 Mesh Bags for Aquarium Fish Tank Koi Reef Filters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFOORYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Li52EbE6VVTEN
I use it as well in the same manner as you, throw it in the bottom of my totes for storage purposes, especially if for long term

Back