• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Don't use Rage Chisel Points with twisted tip!!

Garrymny

I've used Rage mechanical for years. Good luck with them. Until two years ago when I tried the Chisel tip with a twisted looking tip. I shot a small bucks at twenty yards square in shoulder. Waited 30 minutes. Tracked him about 100 yards to see him still alive, head up lying about 10 yards away. He stood up. I put another into his chest. Then another. He laid back down. I thought he was surely going to expire quickly at this point, so I walked to my canoe, which thankfully was only now 50 yards away. I left my bow and went back to retrieve my buck. He was gone! I tracked him again, another circuit through very thick stuff and then into the catttails. There he was feet away. Still alive with head up! All I had was my knife so I went up to split his throat. He got to his feet and charged! A stumbled backwards a feet few and he then laid back down. When he put his down, I stepped on his antler and finished the job with the knife. When i dressed him out I found that not one arrow went through both lungs. All one lung. I have a video of him standing there in the cattails. I attribute it to the twisted design of the Chisel tip, causing the arrow to turn upon impact.

Rage. But with the small razor blade tip. Cuts on contact. And no twist on impact. I'm convinced that twisted tip is what killed the penetration. Here is a picture of the Chisel tip I will never ever use again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191014-151805.png
    Screenshot_20191014-151805.png
    297.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Feel like Ive been coming across a lot of anti-mechanical discussion lately and almost has me second guessing my mechanicals. A friend of mine uses grim reapers and talked about baseball sized holes and paint bucket blood trails. Reviews online seemed alright so thats what I set myself up for this year. This offseason into next year I plan on getting more into arrow tuning, EFOC and broadhead tuning so may throw some fixed blades on then, but for now Ill cross my fingers I guess.

Thanks for putting the word out though for something that definitely didnt work for you in case someone else was looking for them.

Like I said, I've had good luck with the rage with the simple razor blade tip. Also I Know someone that swears by grim reapers. I've tried fixed broad heads though the years and couldn't get good groups.

Feel like Ive been coming across a lot of anti-mechanical discussion lately and almost has me second guessing my mechanicals. A friend of mine uses grim reapers and talked about baseball sized holes and paint bucket blood trails. Reviews online seemed alright so thats what I set myself up for this year. This offseason into next year I plan on getting more into arrow tuning, EFOC and broadhead tuning so may throw some fixed blades on then, but for now Ill cross my fingers I guess.

Thanks for putting the word out though for something that definitely didnt work for you in case someone else was looking for them.
Mechs are ok. Fixed heads are ok.

Don't shoot shoulders. If you do shoot shoulders, shoot them with a fixed. And then don't shoot anymore shoulders.

Don't shoot guts. If you do shoot guts, shoot them with a mech. And then don't shoot anymore guts.

Shoot them between the shoulder and the last rib, and you can shoot whatever broadhead somebody will let you prostaff for or that you can find on sale.

Don't shoot shoulders. If you do shoot shoulders, shoot them with a fixed. And then don't shoot anymore shoulders.

Don't shoot guts. If you do shoot guts, shoot them with a mech. And then don't shoot anymore guts.

Shoot them between the shoulder and the last rib, and you can shoot whatever broadhead somebody will let you prostaff for or that you can find on sale.
This should be pinned. Classic.

This should be pinned. Classic.
5 years in a shop.

I watched folks shooting small fixed heads get upset because they lost deer with no blood trails. I sold them huge expandables.

I watched folks shooting Rage heads lose deer to bad penetration or non expansion or whatever. I sold them small fixed heads.

I watched folks shoot under deer and buy lighter arrows and faster bows.

I watched folks who hit shoulder buy heavier arrows and faster bows.

I watched folks who forgot to adjust their slider buy fixed multi pin sights.

I could go on. And on. And on. But I've come to this conclusion....

All archery gear sucks! Wait, that's not it. All archery gear is great! Hang on, it's been a while....

Everybody loses deer or has less than G-rated kills. It happens. The gear is probably fine. Heck, YOU'RE probably fine too. Losing deer just means you're flinging arrows, which is a good thing. People who don't lose deer are either lying or haven't been playing the game long enough.

It sucks, but use that angry energy to hunt harder.

I'll probably buy a pack tomorrow to go with my new hickory creek mini xbow. Me and my dad have killed lots of deer with those and the slingblade.
You bought that? Thank you. Saved me from it cause I was almost as sorely tested on that classified ad as I was on your loc on stand ad!

Seriously though, let me know how you like it. Next year my state will likely go full crossbow legal and the Hickory Creek vertical is on my short list for xmas.

You bought that? Thank you. Saved me from it cause I was almost as sorely tested on that classified ad as I was on your loc on stand ad!

Seriously though, let me know how you like it. Next year my state will likely go full crossbow legal and the Hickory Creek vertical is on my short list for xmas.
If you're referring to the one that went for 500, unfortunately no. I got swooped. It was listed for less than a minute.

I bought one from good ole @Tapeworm. Should be here tomorrow. I'm excited.

Here’s yet another example of rage chisel tips sucking...

e4b32a1ad84af3101a7f8bb457d171c7.jpg
d0dabe04de02b49f071a331b553fc27e.jpg
b7deea84c33393bee2e9e4811d79c9c9.jpg

Broke farside humerus on the doe, and still mostly passed through, fell in sight, 40
Yards.

Buck ran 60.

Used to use spitfire, now rages, have a handful of chisels and have some trypans to try this year. Been lucky enough to only lose a couple of deer, no fault of the head...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think nap spitfires are the best mechanical ever made, I love them and cannot remember the last time I had to track a deer

I think the spitfire Grim Reaper are the two best made. I used the Spitfire forever however from what I understand they are now being made in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Personally I'm thinking your shot(s) were such that you only had a single lung shot.

I tend to second @Nutterbuster post, I've shot mechanicals, I'm using a fixed blade head at this time. I've had absolutely incredible blood trails with both, as well as pretty sparse with both. Every deer is different, but, if you are outside of the boiler room with either, you are in for some tough sledding. I prefer a fixed blade solely due to the inherent energy loss of a mechanical can really rob you of penetration.

Last edited:
All archery gear sucks! Wait, that's not it. All archery gear is great! Hang on, it's been a while....
I think it's "all archery gear that you don't yet own is great" right?

Or maybe
"Most anything made in the past decade or two(and mostly far longer), absent obviously bad choices or broken equipment, is more than up to making YOU the weak link in pursuit of whitetail deer"

Just like all this saddle gear we cycle through.

Perfectly stated.

Bow and arrow tuning play a huge role in broadhead performance.. especially arrow tuning.

I could’ve easily turned into a rage hater based on some of the experiences I had with them years ago. I wasn’t getting much penetration at all. I only stuck with them because I saw how they performed for my friends and family. I really studied up on arrow tuning and found I hadn’t nearly enough momentum with my setup. Made some big changes in arrow weight, spine, and FOC. Also really worked on getting my bow tuned up. Now my trypans have blown through many deer and often times stick a couple inches in the ground.

If you hit them perfect it doesn’t matter, but we all know that just ain’t gonna happen everytime. I am a human. So I’ve had my fair share of less than perfect shots. I really believe pairing a nice heavy, stiff spined arrow with rage’s big blades has given me a larger margin of error and allowed me to recover some deer that I might not have in the past.

Back