• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dovetail Bow Sights

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
So, I have a Mathews triax that needs a sight. I am pretty much set on getting an HHA kingpin with .010 pin. I can’t decide if I want to get it in dovetail or standard mount. I have never seen a dovetail first hand so it’s tough.

I am primarily a WI whitetail hunter but I take a trip out west for spot and stalk hunting every year. I don’t do “much” brush bashing.

I am wondering if there is much to gain with the DT sight. I understand the benefit of housing/peep alignment. Will the long sight hurt shooting to 100yds? I’m thinking with my heavy arrows it might cut down on clearance.

Any opinion or insight is appreciated.

I have the HHA dovetail...Its an awesome site. I practice once in a while out to 100 once in a while...I bought the site...sighted it in at 20 and then 60...put the site tape it called for and happened to be 67 yards from the target...I dialed it in and shot...heard the arrow hit...shot again and heard a louder hit in the target...my buddy standing there with binos laughed and said I hit the target frame...We walked up and both arrows were in the bull touching.. I was sold. This is my first dovetail and to put my bow in the case I loosen it up and push it in...a few times I have gotten all the way to the tree and set up and just happen to check and have found that I did not put the site in the correct spot...Its not caused any issues because I have always caught it so far. I truly think you will be fine with clearance etc...I cannot give any insight on dovetail versus standard...this is also my very first single pin slider. I do like it a ton but its taken a lot to get use to in my opinion. I will say when the deer is calm and I am dialed on I am crazy confident.

I'm using a trophy ridge react one pin dovetail it's a pretty short DT.. I bought it cause I thought it looked cool, I didn't really understand the benefit until I started playing around with it, idk if its cause of the dovetail or not but I am definitely more consistent with it but could be because every sight I used in the past was a .019 pin and this one is a .010.. either way I'm super happy with it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I ended up getting a HHA Tetra with a .010 pin in a standard mount. It’s got all the features I wanted from the kingpin in a lighter package. The mounting bracket is fairly long in its furthest configuration. I really like the sight.

I will need to drop down to a 3/16” peep for better housing fitment. Time to build a press...

If you're doing spot and stalk out west you might want to consider the weight of the sight. I was very close to buying a kingpin but saw that they weight close to if not over a pound.
Aside that I wont get anything other than a dovetail. It allows you to slide your sight in and out to get the perfect alignment and spacing with your housing and peeps sight. If you're getting a .010 I'd suggest looking into a sight light as well. Best of luck hope this helps

Back