• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Down mid layer with cheaper outer layer vs expensive outer layer

Wmihunter

I can get 800 fill power ua down jacket on sale or possible spend big money on Sitka fanatic for $200 more. I have a decent windproof outer layer that is fairly quiet. What do y’all recommend. Any experience with under armour down jacket as a mid layer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Down is warm but if you compress it under another layer, it could lose much of its insulated properties. As far as UA, I never had good luck with their hunting clothes. Premium price for sub par performance.

Down is warm but if you compress it under another layer, it could lose much of its insulated properties. As far as UA, I never had good luck with their hunting clothes. Premium price for sub par performance.

If the jacket is slightly loose I would think down would be a great mid layer. Ua is 20% off and you can combine that with another 20% off

Poofy jackets are great when they’re the outer layer and dry. If compressed they lose their loft which sucks. If they get wet they clump and lose their loft. Make sure your outer layer is large enough not to compress and stay dry and you’ll be fine. Sitka isn’t the only name in the game, shop around a bit.

i wouldn't get hung up on a hunting brand for down, my down is sierra design and eddie bauer, all 800 fill

i wear down under thin jackets all the time

a thin, somewhat loose fitting jacket compresses it slightly, but even after losing a small amount of insulation ability, i think down is still the warmest thing out there per weight and compressibility

i have low body fat and get cold easily (smoked for like 20 years also)

i can wear an eddie bauer down jacket and vest over a thin base layer, then a windproof shirt, and then a fleece weight jacket on top....and be warm while motionless for hours in the 20 F range

make sure to get a loft over 700 and tumble on low or no heat with tennis balls once a week or so to get the down puffed back up

i think layers and building your own system is the way, i have 2 really heavy coat and bib sets, but they only get used when it is ridiculously cold for around here (0 F range), walking in and climbing with a heavy coat is miserable

Last edited:
I picked up a pair of UA alpine ops down pants a few years ago for under $100. They are warm, layer nicely and pack small. I say go for it as long as you have an outer layer to put over it.

Give us the scoop for the extra 20% off too lol.

I picked up a pair of UA alpine ops down pants a few years ago for under $100. They are warm, layer nicely and pack small. I say go for it as long as you have an outer layer to put over it.

Give us the scoop for the extra 20% off too lol.

Sign up your email for an additional 20% off. I bought the pants for 120 and just bought hr alpine ops parka for $180

Back