• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Doyle’s as Pull Down Rope

Reedler

SH Member
Anyone ever tried this? I like rappelling, but I hate fighting my paracord pull down rope on the way down. Tie a sturdy carabiner on the hoist and this seems much cleaner. I’m carrying the Doyle’s with my anyways. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dano has a mini 8 i bought to use with paracord, just haven't gotten all my knots out of it yet to try it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

According to their website (didn't specify webbing or rope) they said it held 190 pds but didn't trust it for more weight...doesn't specify if testing the mechanism or just the cord...I use a separate pull down using mule tape...I yank pretty hard and wouldn't abuse my doyles in that way...having a separate pull down is good IMO...I have used it for various tasks other than intended purpose on multiple hunts...used paracord prior to muletape and it cuts into the hands to much if u get a real stubborn rope.

Bow would go down on the rappel line

That's how I've been geting the bow up and down.
I think it would work if the string doesn't fail at some point. You could open the Doyle's up and try to respool it with something stronger.

That's how I've been geting the bow up and down.
I think it would work if the string doesn't fail at some point. You could open the Doyle's up and try to respool it with something stronger.

That’s not a bad idea! I think I’ve seen people run dynaglide in them. Might give that a try.

According to their website (didn't specify webbing or rope) they said it held 190 pds but didn't trust it for more weight...doesn't specify if testing the mechanism or just the cord...I use a separate pull down using mule tape...I yank pretty hard and wouldn't abuse my doyles in that way...having a separate pull down is good IMO...I have used it for various tasks other than intended purpose on multiple hunts...used paracord prior to muletape and it cuts into the hands to much if u get a real stubborn rope.

I always carry some “just in case” paracord that lives in the bottom of my pack. Mule tape is a good choice too! Does it knot and twist as much as paracord?

I always carry some “just in case” paracord that lives in the bottom of my pack. Mule tape is a good choice too! Does it knot and twist as much as paracord?

It has its moments...I like it better mainly because it's easier to pull and much less stretch than the paracord. I figure eight thumb to elbow and fold in half... It uncoils good and I haven't had it knot tangle but it can get a little clingy on certain bark.

Doyles worked all season for me. I have 2 rope hoists. Replaced the standard clip with a biner and no issues. They’re heavy but I always seem to use both and it’s worth it not to deal with 25 ft of tangled parasite. IMO

I have a hook on my Doyle’s. Lower bow and pull back up and attach to rappel anchor. Or drop bow with rappel line and use Doyle’s. Either way works fine. I’ve had a couple two handed jerks to get a rope free that I’m confident pushed the limits of the Doyle’s, but it was fine.

I haven't tried it yet but this was my exact plan. I have the Doyle's with cord not the strap and I replaced the plastic attachment that came with it with a small biner. I think it should work fine.

Doyles worked all season for me. I have 2 rope hoists. Replaced the standard clip with a biner and no issues. They’re heavy but I always seem to use both and it’s worth it not to deal with 25 ft of tangled parasite. IMO

X2

Back