• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dryad Drey

parkersdad

I got my new Dryad Drey in the mail today and first impressions are this thing is a home run. I used it for about 30 minutes with a ring of steps and man was it comfortable. The part I like the best is that the bridge is on the Hammock material and there is a rope from the D ring on the safety harness that also hooks to your carabiner. You can hook both to your tether or you can hook the rope separate that way if something were to break on the bridge I would be held on by a second piece of equipment. For you guys that worry about something breaking this saddle is for you. In my opinion the comfort is unmatched of the six other saddles I have tried. The only thing more comfortable is the JX3 Hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems like this might pair well with a LWHC for gun season in the northeast, when tree selection is less of an issue, and cocooning against the weather is a must. Got me thinking.

I got my new Dryad Drey in the mail today and first impressions are this thing is a home run. I used it for about 30 minutes with a ring of steps and man was it comfortable. The part I like the best is that the bridge is on the Hammock material and there is a rope from the D ring on the safety harness that also hooks to your carabiner. You can hook both to your tether or you can hook the rope separate that way if something were to break on the bridge I would be held on by a second piece of equipment. For you guys that worry about something breaking this saddle is for you. In my opinion the comfort is unmatched of the six other saddles I have tried. The only thing more comfortable is the JX3 Hybrid.

Thanks for the feedback. Been eyeing one or the conversion kit myself. How would you compare comfort to the JX3?

Thanks for the feedback. Been eyeing one or the conversion kit myself. How would you compare comfort to the JX3?

The comfort is as good as the JX3 as far as sitting. However you still have to have knees in the tree so that makes it a little less comfortable. You still don’t have as much pressure as you do with a regular saddle in my opinion. As I spend time in it I will update. You know I love my JX3. However I think I found it’s little brother. I would not buy the attachment kit. I would buy the entire saddle. That way you are not sitting on the straps of your saddle causing pressure points

Seems like this might pair well with a LWHC for gun season in the northeast, when tree selection is less of an issue, and cocooning against the weather is a must. Got me thinking.
My concern is the compression against the insulation of the clothing in cold weather

My concern is the compression against the insulation of the clothing in cold weather
Good point. Looks like they have a fleece attachment listed on their site as coming soon. Might offset some of that effect.

Dryad is going to be at the Nashville TN meet up.
I will get a chance to try one out.
How am I going to explain another piece of hunting gear to my wife???

Has anyone climbed one-stick and used the lineman's loops to bypass limbs yet? I'm trying to put my head around how to access the lineman's loops with the saddle deployed. Maybe it would be best to hook into the D ring on the front with a "temporary tether" instead of using the lineman's loops and belt???? PLEASE help and/or explain what I'm missing here. Other than that issue, I see nothing but upside with this saddle concept!!!

I would be VERY appreciative if someone could post a picture of the lineman's loops while the saddle is deployed.

Has anyone climbed one-stick and used the lineman's loops to bypass limbs yet? I'm trying to put my head around how to access the lineman's loops with the saddle deployed. Maybe it would be best to hook into the D ring on the front with a "temporary tether" instead of using the lineman's loops and belt???? PLEASE help and/or explain what I'm missing here. Other than that issue, I see nothing but upside with this saddle concept!!!

I would be VERY appreciative if someone could post a picture of the lineman's loops while the saddle is deployed.
I believe the idea is to climb without the saddle deployed and deploy the saddle once at height, therefore the LB is easily accessible. Now I’m sure that’s not as comfortable as if you were going to sit into the saddle while you’re one stick climbing, but I can’t attest to that.

I just realized that the lineman's loop access is not an issue while one-sticking. When moving the tether around a limb, or up the tree,....there is no load on the saddle! At which time the linesman's loops are easily accessible and fully functional.

The comfort is as good as the JX3 as far as sitting. However you still have to have knees in the tree so that makes it a little less comfortable. You still don’t have as much pressure as you do with a regular saddle in my opinion. As I spend time in it I will update. You know I love my JX3. However I think I found it’s little brother. I would not buy the attachment kit. I would buy the entire saddle. That way you are not sitting on the straps of your saddle causing pressure points

Good point in the JX3 whale tail! That’s a key component. I wonder if rigging up a strap like Paul shows in this vid could get you in the same ballpark.

For the attachment kit, do you think the drey’s waist belt and leg straps will cause noticeably less pressure than a traditional saddle’s waist and leg straps. With it taking less weight, I would’ve guessed it’d be a wash or close to it.

Maybe I’m just trying to rationalize a way around paying for the belt and leg straps lol. They seem a little spendy for what they are…

Good point in the JX3 whale tail! That’s a key component. I wonder if rigging up a strap like Paul shows in this vid could get you in the same ballpark.

For the attachment kit, do you think the drey’s waist belt and leg straps will cause noticeably less pressure than a traditional saddle’s waist and leg straps. With it taking less weight, I would’ve guessed it’d be a wash or close to it.

Maybe I’m just trying to rationalize a way around paying for the belt and leg straps lol. They seem a little spendy for what they are…
From my experience the less you have between you and the hammock material of the Drey, the more comfortable it would be. So depending on what saddle you are thinking about pairing it with, yes I believe just the belt/leg straps of the Drey will cause less pressure. I can tell the difference in pressure when I pair it with my Cruzr XC and when I pair it with my rch. The Drey is more comfortable with the rch due to its low profile compared to the cruzr that has more material to push against you once the Drey is deployed.

So the Drey is so much smaller, less clunky, and way more maneuverable. It’s definitely worth just getting the belt and not monkeying with adding it to a saddle. Buy once cry once and you are just good to go!

Reactions: STL
That’s where their under quilt comes out! I’ve had a chance to try it out and it definitely adds some serious warmth. Also you create this kind of thermal pocket that I can only imagine will be extremely nice come November.

Back