• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

E-bike battery issues in cold weather

Islandshooter

SH Member
Have been thinking of an E-bike for public land hunting on my annual Nebraska trip. One question for y'all, how do you keep the battery from draining while you hunt ( cold weather)? Anybody out there use their bikes in the cold? Thanks.

Check the local laws. Here in Mississippi we can't use ANY motorized (gas or electric) vehicle, ATV to hunt or retrieve game unless WMA authorized it on public lands. Only to retrieve their grame only. Hate for anyone to spend the $ then won't be able to use it.

Check the local laws. Here in Mississippi we can't use ANY motorized (gas or electric) vehicle, ATV to hunt or retrieve game unless WMA authorized it on public lands. Only to retrieve their grame only. Hate for anyone to spend the $ then won't be able to use it.
Pretty sure they're OK in nebraska, my hunting buddy has one already. But that's the issue he had with his...came back after a long sit and the batt was dead. And those things are a bear to push, much less pedal with no power. Might just stick to pedal power. Thanks, tho-good lookin out!!

I’ve never had an issue with mine draining while sitting in the cold but it for sure doesn’t last as long while riding. This year I am going to wrap it in insulation and keep it in the saddle bag with a longer wire running to the motor. I could even throw some 18hr hand warmers in there to keep it warm. I used the bike in MO last season in some really cold temps and I had to charge it at the end of each day even tho it should have lasted a lot longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never had an issue with mine draining while sitting in the cold but it for sure doesn’t last as long while riding. This year I am going to wrap it in insulation and keep it in the saddle bag with a longer wire running to the motor. I could even throw some 18hr hand warmers in there to keep it warm. I used the bike in MO last season in some really cold temps and I had to charge it at the end of each day even tho it should have lasted a lot longer.

What do you think about a portable solar panel. Maybe with a trickle charge, it might stabilize the battery in cold weather.

I used mine this past late bow season with temps in the low teens and didn’t have any problems. I have a Leeds conversion kit and the 250w battery is small enough I could remove it and keep it warm inside my pack or outer clothing if needed but haven’t seen the need for that yet. I’m sure the battery charge won’t last as long but my 20 mile battery is still plenty good after each day and then I top it off again before using the next time since a fully charged battery will always perform much better at it’s peak and retain it’s charge longer.

Last edited:
What do you think about a portable solar panel. Maybe with a trickle charge, it might stabilize the battery in cold weather.

I really don’t think it would be worth the trouble. Even in extreme cold the battery last me long enough to get to/from my spots a few times before it needs charged. I can take it to my place in Ohio and run it a full week without charging so it’s really not an issue I’ve had. I think if I do anything it will be to buy a spare battery.

I really don’t think it would be worth the trouble. Even in extreme cold the battery last me long enough to get to/from my spots a few times before it needs charged. I can take it to my place in Ohio and run it a full week without charging so it’s really not an issue I’ve had. I think if I do anything it will be to buy a spare battery.

What kind of bike?!!

What kind of bike?!!

Built myself using a Framed Minnesota 1.0 and the Luna BBSHD kit with 52v Wolf battery. It’s a beast!
e482dddaab3af6cc9e6f68b19bbe44ca.jpg

Wrap hand warmers in insulation around the battery. Also make sure your battery is fully charged the night before the hunt.

Last edited:
Lithium ion batteries take a hard hit in any kind of cold weather. Not sure if thats what yalls bike use or not. If it is I wouldn’t be surprise if you’ll be needing to by new ones very soon.

Lithium ion batteries take a hard hit in any kind of cold weather. Not sure if thats what yalls bike use or not. If it is I wouldn’t be surprise if you’ll be needing to by new ones very soon.
I've been running my e-bike in very cold weather for years without any battery problems. The batteries are tough

Have been thinking of an E-bike for public land hunting on my annual Nebraska trip. One question for y'all, how do you keep the battery from draining while you hunt ( cold weather)? Anybody out there use their bikes in the cold? Thanks.

So, I wouldn't call myself a battery expert, and the stuff I design is certainly smaller and lower power than a bike. But cold weather is actually usually better for preventing battery self discharge. As a rule, chemical reactions tend to slow down as temperature decreases - batteries are no different.

However, cold weather does tend to increase the internal resistance of batteries. This usually affects two things... First is, any high current load (such as the initial starting of a motor) will result in a voltage drop, which, if high enough, will prevent your product from working (this is why your car's battery is rated for CCA - cold cranking amps). Second is, your effective battery capacity is reduced (often significantly), so don't expect to get as far.

Back