• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Easiest aiders to use?

Commfishmtk

This year I used 4 24” beast sticks with a double web aider on the bottom step but I always had issues getting my boots in it when I was climbing down. What would be the easiest aider to use? I am fine with using a single aider instead of the double. Thank you.

I have been just using a loop of webbing tied with a water knot as a carry as you go aider. Throw it over the top step gives me a 22” step on my Tethrd one sticks. Similar to Dave Toms aider he used on his Helium sticks. Very simple and works well.

Take a look at this video, it might be helpful. I use a 3 step aider on my bottom stick. It gets me about 7’ up. Is use an aider similar to what’s on the video for how ever many more sticks I need to use.

I tried an aider at the bottom like you and found it to be a pain coming down as well… cable aiders or a moveable aider have been the best for me so far.

I use cables on my 18" beast sticks. I wrap the cable around the button for storage. The memory of the storage position keeps the aider curved out so I get a nice landing for my foot... sometimes it curves too much and the step is too high. Better problem than not being able to find the aider. especially climbing down.

I use a cable and a versa aider at the same time. Gets me 4 steps per stick.
Screenshot_20221204-103830_Gallery.jpg

I just purchased a 2 step aider from backwoods mobile gear with a top loop. I saw it on some youtube channel. This way I can replace my diy one. This one looked better and easier to use than mine.

I tried an aider at the bottom like you and found it to be a pain coming down as well… cable aiders or a moveable aider have been the best for me so far.
I hear what you are saying about climbing down with aiders. Thats the reason I rappel no matter whether I am using sticks, one sticking, Primal steps or SRT. My tether/rappel rope is always attached to the tree and it makes coming down much safer and easier. I just stop the rappel when needed and remove whatever I need to remove and keep on going down. The weight difference between carrying a tether and 40' of 8mm 0r 9mm rope is negligable for me. The other reason I rappel is that if I were to have a stick or a step come loose I can still get back to the ground. If I am only using a tether and a piece of hardware comes loose or fails I might be stuck at tether hieght . Everybody is different, just my two cents.

Backwoods Mobile Gear Versa aider works great. It's a single step that's always attached to your boot, so you never have to search for it . It use a continuous loop of amsteal that you attach to your Beast Button that will automatically pop off as you step onto your stick and be there ready to attach to the next stick. Coming down is super simple also. Just attach your continuous loop to your Beast Button and step down the aider is already on your boot without having to look for it. Plenty of great videos on you tube on it. Check it out. I was able to get about 21/22 feet with mine with four 20" sticks.

Backwoods Mobile Gear Versa aider works great. It's a single step that's always attached to your boot, so you never have to search for it . It use a continuous loop of amsteal that you attach to your Beast Button that will automatically pop off as you step onto your stick and be there ready to attach to the next stick. Coming Dow down is super simple also. Just attach your continuous loop to your Beast Button and step down the aider is already on your boot without having to look for it. Plenty of great videos on you tube on it. Check it out. I was able to get about 21/22 feet with mine with four 20" sticks.
I hear what you are saying about climbing down with aiders. Thats the reason I rappel no matter whether I am using sticks, one sticking, Primal steps or SRT. My tether/rappel rope is always attached to the tree and it makes coming down much safer and easier. I just stop the rappel when needed and remove whatever I need to remove and keep on going down. The weight difference between carrying a tether and 40' of 8mm 0r 9mm rope is negligable for me. The other reason I rappel is that if I were to have a stick or a step come loose I can still get back to the ground. If I am only using a tether and a piece of hardware comes loose or fails I might be stuck at tether hieght . Everybody is different, just my two cents.
Totally agree with you about rappelling down. That's what I did all this past season. Just pulled my sticks off on the way down. Much easier and safer.

Going up I find them all pretty easy but single cables are probably the most foolproof. The more steps the harder it is. Coming down they're all a PIA.

I haven't personally had any problems descending with cable aiders. I put my foot into the loop and move that leg to the side until I feel tension from the aider, and slowly step into it.

I've heard some have had a cable aider catch between boot lugs though, so something to watch out for.

Another vote for rappelling. That said the cable aiders seem to stay put decently well. I bet you could run some heavy-gauge wire / Gear Tie through a webbing aider to give it some structure and hold it open or away from the tree.

Unless a wire aider, I go Carry As You Go aider because you don't have to fish around for it in the dark on the way down only to find the wind blew your aider around the tree where it got stuck on a branch. Going up is easier.

Back