• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Easton 2117 good for traditional?

MattMan81

SH Member
So cleaning out my parents basement. I opened up the boxes of old Easton 2117 XX75. Seem super soft. What stiffness are they? Some day I would like to pick up traditional. Maybe when my boys are older. Would these work? Or should I just get rid of them?

Been a while since I shot aluminum but from what I remember 2117 shot out of just about any bow. I have a few that I use to repair and foot carbon shafts. I should fletch a couple and see how they fly.

Will they work? Yeah, I shot several deer out of my 50# recurves with them.
Are there better choices? Definitely.

One thing Ashby stresses is not shoot a shaft with a diameter that's larger than the broadhead ferrule. If the 2117s are larger than your chosen broadhead ferrule, I would use them for small game or stump shooting, and not for game that requires total penetration.

One thing Ashby stresses is not shoot a shaft with a diameter that's larger than the broadhead ferrule. If the 2117s are larger than your chosen broadhead ferrule, I would use them for small game or stump shooting, and not for game that requires total penetration.
Hum. Forgot about the shaft size. Good point. Maybe I'll just cut some down and let the kids shoot em. If I pick up a recurve at some point I can shoot them for a while to work on form. Then build killers.

2117's & 2114's for our recurves (45-55 lb. draw) used to be the standard arrow back in the day.
Glue on some 5" high shield fletching (the higher the better, it looked so cool...) and just trim the arrow down to get reasonably good flight .
Who nock tuned?
FOC what is that?
We got the higher arrow weight by accident, it was built in, never remember weighing an arrow.
It's amazing what we did not worry about back then, and some how killed deer..........

I am shooting 2117 out of a Buffalo recurve at 50 Lbs. Arrows are cut to 28.5". My actual draw is 27.5". I am shooting a 168 grain point.
I bare shaft tune my setup, so I know they are flying straight.

I suppose our experiences with them could be different but I cant recall a single deer out of 40 or so taken with 2117's that held an arrow. All pass throughs with nearly all of them being either with Thunderheads or Razorback 5's.

good shafts, great find. And, you don't have to "nock tune" aluminum shafts but you do have to make sure they're straight. Look up and down the shaft from the nock end to the point and switch it again. Look up into daylight or a light and you can see bends or creases or dents that could be a potential bent shaft. The best is a spin checker. I wish they made heavier brass inserts for aluminums. I think 3 Rivers may have some for 2117's though but don't hold me to that.

good shafts, great find. And, you don't have to "nock tune" aluminum shafts but you do have to make sure they're straight. Look up and down the shaft from the nock end to the point and switch it again. Look up into daylight or a light and you can see bends or creases or dents that could be a potential bent shaft. The best is a spin checker. I wish they made heavier brass inserts for aluminums. I think 3 Rivers may have some for 2117's though but don't hold me to that.

Yes Three Rivers has some heavy broadhead adaptors. I am using a glue on broad head at 125 Gr. With a 43 gr. aluminum broadhead adaptor. 3 Rivers also has steel broad head adaptors up to 1245 gr.
PS; I still shoot aluminum because I do not like nock tuning.

We would always spin the. In the field.
Place the shaft with the field point in the palm of your left hand and them make a little "cradle" with your thumbnail and middle finger nail. Tilt the shaft on ~15 degree angle, then blow on the fletchings. The arrow will spin at a high enough speed that it will show (wobble) if there are any bends. You'll feel the wobble.
Dont try this with a broadhead though!

We would always spin the. In the field.
Place the shaft with the field point in the palm of your left hand and them make a little "cradle" with your thumbnail and middle finger nail. Tilt the shaft on ~15 degree angle, then blow on the fletchings. The arrow will spin at a high enough speed that it will show (wobble) if there are any bends. You'll feel the wobble.
Dont try this with a broadhead though!
Yep! Done it many times myself.

Aluminum seams to be more forgiving on a bad release. I need all the help i can get. 2117 with a 150 stinger hits hard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back