• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Eberlestock X2 vs Mystery Ranch PopUp 28

rakbowhunter

Looking for input regarding both of these packs. I actually have the popup 28 right now. It seems like a very well made pack, but might be more than what I am needing. Is the X2 more user friendly as a day pack? I really don't have the intentions of quartering out a deer due to the fact it is illegal here in Illinois. Even so, is the X2 sufficient enough to pack out out a quartered up whitetail? Just giving me your opinions on both packs and how you use them would help as well. I just hate to have the PopUp28 sitting in the garage in the event I need to haul something. Those funds could definitely be used elsewhere. THanks!

How does the popup compress down? The packs weigh the same. The x2 is a tad wider but closer to the back for a lower profile. Same length. If you can compress the 28 acceptably, then it's the same size.

Just posted this in another thread too. Love the x2 it seems bomb proof. It’s only a daypack 90% of the time (weighs in at 5 pounds so it’s just barely light enough). But for the rare case I’ve packed out deer with it just fine. Guessing pack plus meat plus gear was about 80 pounds and I walked a mile no problems. Probably would want a more serious frame pack if hunting out west and hiking 10 miles etc. but for here in Tennessee it’s the bees knees!

E83305AE-5A76-4BC7-9EEE-572F0B1ACFF8.png

It compresses down fine, but I find the main compartment zippers inconvenient. I know the zippers are designed to keep water out, but it makes opening the pack a pain. I was hoping the 28 would have been "the one", but am having issues with organization as well. I wish it had more compression straps and molle loops.

@philsanchez76 Thanks, that's great to hear. Have you found anything about the X2 that you don't like? What kind of setup do you use with it? Sticks and platform?

It compresses down fine, but I find the main compartment zippers inconvenient. I know the zippers are designed to keep water out, but it makes opening the pack a pain. I was hoping the 28 would have been "the one", but am having issues with organization as well. I wish it had more compression straps and molle loops.

@philsanchez76 Thanks, that's great to hear. Have you found anything about the X2 that you don't like? What kind of setup do you use with it? Sticks and platform?

I go back and forth between lone wolf sticks and bullman silent approach steps depending on how thick the area I’m hunting is. Use the bat wings and compression straps to haul the sticks. Always use a ring of steps platform. I am hard pressed to think of something I don’t like. Only two things come to mind: 1) the waist belt pockets are too far back to easily reach while wearing the pack. If you are more flexible than me you could do it. This is just not a deal breaker for me. 2) it’s a fairly short pack meaning it just barely rests on my hips. If my torso was 1 inch taller, the pack may not work for me. I am 6 ft 1 inch tall for your reference. I’ve heard talker folks or people with very long torsos can’t comfortably rest this in their hips to haul heavy weight.

I have the x2. You have to drag out your deer by law on public. I use the pack as a day pack only. Carries my sticks and platform 1000xs better than my other packs. Took a second to figure out how to load it with my stuff. My other pack has lots of organizing mess zipper slots inside so keeping things separated and organized was pretty simple. The x2 has big, well thought out, storage pouch areas. The side wing pouches hold all my stuff and the rest of the pack is empty. Comfort while hiking in was the main reason for the purchase

Having owned dozens of packs, frames and frameless, I think for saddle hunting whitetails, the popup can’t be beat. It’s versatile, well built, and can handle all but 250+lb quartered or boned deer. It still compresses to pretty much flat.

I have not held the x2, but I’ve owned an eberle pack. I am not a fan at all of their shoulder harness/belt system. Is it better than a run of the mill backpack sure. But the mystery ranch is awesome.

The reviews the x2 is getting though have me considering putting my hands on one just for comparison. I’d be hard pressed to give up the popup though - it’s the bees knees

@philsanchez76 I'm only 5'8" so I don't see myself having the torso problem.

@Weldabeast , do you happen to have pics of how your platform and sticks are packed? Here in Illinois, it gets pretty cold in the later parts of the season. Does the X2 handle extra clothes strapped to it very well?

@kyler1945 Thats part of the reason I feel torn lol. The MR is a dream to carry. It absolutely gets A+ in that category. I just really wish is had more molle loops and and loading straps across the front of the pack. They have them on the belt and bottom, which i love, but why not on the side or front?

[QUOTE="r

@kyler1945 Thats part of the reason I feel torn lol. The MR is a dream to carry. It absolutely gets A+ in that category. I just really wish is had more molle loops and and loading straps across the front of the pack. They have them on the belt and bottom, which i love, but why not on the side or front?
[/QUOTE]

I don’t mind not having Molle across front. I actually use this:

Tribe One PackTach - 4 PackTachs & 4 Outdoor Aluminum Carabiners - Attachable to Backpacks Duffle Bags Tarps Nylon Shirts Pants Sweaters and More - Climbing Gear & Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ASVU1JA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IVbZDbFBMSRAY

And this:

Tribe One MiniNet (Black) - Backpack Extension Bungee - 4 PackTachs & 4 Aluminum Carabiners Included - Carry Items such as Shoes balls Sleeping Bags Tents Outdoor Camping Gear Water Bottles Etc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007W4T2V0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lWbZDb75512AX

On most hunts.

Then, if I need a little more containment, I just piggy back this onto the straps on the popup

26B0BC63-1AA1-4036-AD9F-C5727B3E62A4.jpegE6EBAD1B-8864-4994-A699-6986601F0578.jpeg

If you could get @Squirrels to sew these up you’d be in business. I imagine adding Molle wouldn’t be that hard to do on your own if you have a sewing machine.

I don’t mind not having Molle across front. I actually use this:

Tribe One PackTach - 4 PackTachs & 4 Outdoor Aluminum Carabiners - Attachable to Backpacks Duffle Bags Tarps Nylon Shirts Pants Sweaters and More - Climbing Gear & Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ASVU1JA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IVbZDbFBMSRAY

And this:

Tribe One MiniNet (Black) - Backpack Extension Bungee - 4 PackTachs & 4 Aluminum Carabiners Included - Carry Items such as Shoes balls Sleeping Bags Tents Outdoor Camping Gear Water Bottles Etc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007W4T2V0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lWbZDb75512AX

On most hunts.

Then, if I need a little more containment, I just piggy back this onto the straps on the popup

View attachment 20361View attachment 20362

If you could get @Squirrels to sew these up you’d be in business. I imagine adding Molle wouldn’t be that hard to do on your own if you have a sewing machine.

Very interesting....Going to have to give this a try before I move in a different direction. This would definitely help the issues I am having. Do you have any pics on how this is attached to your 28? Thank you!

Very interesting....Going to have to give this a try before I move in a different direction. This would definitely help the issues I am having. Do you have any pics on how this is attached to your 28? Thank you!

Here’s the pacseat, enough clothes to get down to 15*, all my normal hunting crap and water, and the kill suit in the cargo net. You can fit much more stuff in it, I’ll take some pictures of the attachment points when I get to unpacking later this week.

I also leave the pactachs on the pack and use the mini biners to attach crap even if I’m not using the net.

2DAD2364-C0B2-44A9-83E9-DB848747535B.jpeg

I really like the idea of the packtachs and have them on order. Great looking setup. Definitely need to tinker around with it more before I move on. Looking forward to how you have them attached.

I’ve had both and the X2 fit my needs much better. I love me some Mystery Ranch, but that X2 just fit my needs better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had both and the X2 fit my needs much better. I love me some Mystery Ranch, but that X2 just fit my needs better

What aspect of it are you referring to in particular? The storage itself...the pocket locations....accessibility....

Got pics of your pack setup?

There has been a large enough positive voice on the X2. Obviously there is a reason why everyone talks it up so much. Is the material any quieter than the MR28?

Yes the material is quieter on the X2, I like the way you can lash things to the outside of the pack instead of behind it. When I whitetail and hog hunt =X2 but if I go out west again for elk- it will be my MR Pintler. The pocket layout is easier for me on the X2.

Dang you guys. Might have to order one and test both of them out. GAHHHHH

I might have to drive to Illinois when you do so I can see them both also. @kyler1945 had me talked into the MR but, I can't find one and I'm a guy who likes lots of pockets so I knew I wouldn't be thrilled with the popup bag. This thread plus the price tag has me thinking twice.

Back