• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ebike. Build or buy?

onestringer

SH Member
My season ends in 4 days. I am turning my focus to getting or building an ebike. I don’t know whether to build or just buy one. Who here has built an ebike. Any suggestions or plans out the?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My shooting partner went out on a hunt in Illinois and the land owner had ebikes. He didn't write the brand name down but the ebike had switchable 2 wheel drive. It was 1500 watts and went 28 mph. He would have bought it but it was used and the owner wouldn't sell the new one he had. This really interests me but I can't find anything about it on line. Every thing I found was just 1 wheel drive.

Can we please not talk about E bikes? I fought back the demons last year and had a good season. I don’t need people talking about ebikes which will cause my addiction to kick in and my palms to sweat and the hands to shake as they pull out my wallet ....

Aw &$@“!? It I just saw this video and now I’m the proud owner of a Rad bike!!!!

I'm back and forth on that myself. I have a hunting bike for a donor but I'm thinking I'm going to buy one. I'm looking at the m2s ht pro.... comes with a rear rack, fenders and a light etc... check them out.

I built an E-bike using my Trek mountain bike and added a Leeds kit. I bought the 250w-30k kit and it works great. Much cheaper than a dedicated E-bike. They have a variety of conversion kits to fit your need and also sell complete bikes.

I have a good mountain bike and can do 15 km single track trail rides, but the issue I have is getting sweaty!

Plus there may come a day when I can’t ride that far so I’m looking at the various ways to add a motor to my current bike.

@flinginairos built one but I seem to remember it starting pretty budget friendly but he wound up having to upgrade everything.

Buy it's easier and they are warranted. Do you research and take you time. There are a lot of good e-bikes out their. Do you want a mid-drive or hub drive ?-

Buy it's easier and they are warranted. Do you research and take you time. There are a lot of good e-bikes out their. Do you want a mid-drive or hub drive ?-

I don't know what I want. I figure I can buy one around 3k. I also figure if I build one it will land around 3k. Wife has green lighted the project now it just a matter if determining whats the best value. I need hill climbing power though, that's my determining factor.

The only properties I can legally use an Ebike on are my water access sites, so that doesn’t help me. Oklahoma considers them a motorized vehicle, as does the forestry service... as does Texas Parks and Wildlife.

I’m kind of glad, as I’d be tempted to buy one if I could use it.

I don't know what I want. I figure I can buy one around 3k. I also figure if I build one it will land around 3k. Wife has green lighted the project now it just a matter if determining whats the best value. I need hill climbing power though, that's my determining factor.
Mid-drive climb great. I have a Radrover 750 watt hub drive that I put a Bolton bike controller on it and it climbs hills with no problem. Check out Bolton bikes Mid-drive 1000 watt bike it's cheaper than most 1000 watt mid-drives. Great company.

Ive been researching building one and I think that’s the route I will go!....just been trying to learn everything I can about them first.

I've been looking at them for a couple of months now, only on line so far. Don't know the rules are yet in NY but I suspect they probably prohibit them on state land. Most of my hunting is on private land now. Was wondering how they are going not only uphill but also uphill with snow. Even more concerning going downhill in a wet slick trail. I really like the idea of riding quietly thru the woods to my hunting spots and even leaving bike near hunting tree. I think I read that the mid drives are the ones to get.

I'm back and forth on that myself. I have a hunting bike for a donor but I'm thinking I'm going to buy one. I'm looking at the m2s ht pro.... comes with a rear rack, fenders and a light etc... check them out.
You get one & I’ll check it out, & since you’re a moto -x nut. I know yours will be good.......

You get one & I’ll check it out, & since you’re a moto -x nut. I know yours will be good.......

I hear you brother... Some of the single track trails we use for hunting access are the same trails I ride with my regular mtb. The hill sections are challenging enough on a light weight bike with no gear. Add in hunting gear, you will be sweating and pushing. Not good at all. The e bike will change that and make towing the deer out easier when your 45 min back in the woods etc etc..

Back