• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Eglin AFB Reservation

jphillips97

SH Member
Any board members hunt the Eglin AFB reservation? Season starts tomorrow....

I have hunted there in years past but always in the late muzzleloader season. I think we hunted 5 or 6 seasons there. We always hunted area 9 and had good luck.

I’m hunting here this year and next for sure. Don’t know where the army will send me next…

I've hunted it the past couple of years, during the late primitive weapon season. It's a pretty cool place and there's a lot of deer there. I've seen a few nice ones come from there. We're going back this Feb again for the late season hunt.

I've hunted it the past couple of years, during the late primitive weapon season. It's a pretty cool place and there's a lot of deer there. I've seen a few nice ones come from there. We're going back this Feb again for the late season hunt.
Have any recommendations on what to look for in a good hunting spot here? You are not allowed to scout but that first week of season and I missed it. Thinking about walking through the woods with my bow and “hunting” aka scouting to find better spots. Really just been hunting the edge of creeks out here.

Have any recommendations on what to look for in a good hunting spot here? You are not allowed to scout but that first week of season and I missed it. Thinking about walking through the woods with my bow and “hunting” aka scouting to find better spots. Really just been hunting the edge of creeks out here.
You are allowed to scout year round in most areas but not all.

Be careful not to spoil other hunters by walking during season.

Good creek crossings have been good for us too. I tend to stay in the archery only areas myself and just look for lots of tracks. We only hunt during the rut there, and those deer will travel so I’m always looking for heavily used trails, and most seem to be close to creeks.

Had a hunt this afternoon afterwork on the reservation. Hunting about a 1000 acre area and within 100 ft walks another hunter... If it was any of you guys, sorry for hollering at you.... Did not want you to get set up and us be 100 ft apart. If it was anyone here, I'll gladly treat you to a cup of coffee

My best luck was in the dog units during early archery (before dogs are allowed to be used). I’ve got a few spots I’ll share with ya if ya hit me up. I left there 6 years ago, but I had one particular spot that panned out every year for the 5 years I spent in the area. Here’s a tip, drive down the dirt roads on Elgin range after a heavy rain… deer tracks going across the road are clear as day. I killed a bunch of deer hunting off the road where I saw deer tracks crossing immediately (within a couple hours) after a rain.

Back