• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Elk plans for 2020

BTaylor

SH Member
Anyone planning to head to the mountains? Area I have been hunting in CO is going to be a draw this year for archery so for the first time I will hoping to draw a tag. May go ahead and put in for NM too. Planning to put in for WYO in 2021.

I went to CO in 2018 between Aspen and Leadville. I’m in good shape but the elevation killed me. We above 11k feet a lot.

I’d love to go again but definitely don’t want to be that high again. Been looking into Wyoming as well as other spots in CO.

Can't wait to go again. I think I'll go every year until I can't physically do it any more. I loved it and can't stop thinking about camping in the mountains again. Just disappear, out of cell service for 8 days, living in the woods is dreamy!

I’d love to get out west and into the mountains. Looking at trying to get out there 2021. Don’t think wife will allow it this year with buying new house and a new baby any day now.

I have been putting in points for Utah for the past 6 years for elk and deer. I decided to quite buying the points this year and just throw the hat in the ring and see what happens.

My son and I have been going to Co. for the last six years. He is as hooked to the high country as I am, just wish I had taken him early. It seems like everything we do is prepping for our annual trip.

I have been putting in points for Utah for the past 6 years for elk and deer. I decided to quite buying the points this year and just throw the hat in the ring and see what happens.

Are you applying for general season or limited entry permits? As a resident, we can't apply for both deer and elk limited entry permits in the same season. Must choose just one.

i don’t see myself hunting elk this year unless I draw one of the long shot hunts I applied for in Arizona, Utah or New Mexico. Just points everywhere else This year

Can't wait to go again. I think I'll go every year until I can't physically do it any more. I loved it and can't stop thinking about camping in the mountains again. Just disappear, out of cell service for 8 days, living in the woods is dreamy!
You and Grabwad putting another trip together? If so are yall going to put in for the unit from last year? I am planning to put in for that unit and hope to draw. Hate that it went to a draw for archery but oh well.

I’ve always judged people in the gym for grit. Lots of other ways to show it. But if someone is on that thing for more than an hour on a regular basis I can safely assume they are full of grit.

I went to CO in 2018 between Aspen and Leadville. I’m in good shape but the elevation killed me. We above 11k feet a lot.

I’d love to go again but definitely don’t want to be that high again. Been looking into Wyoming as well as other spots in CO.
Altitude sickness? Last couple of years I have been camping above 10k and have hunted up to 12 once. Mostly stay have stayed in the 9800-11k range. Knock on wood I have never had any issues with altitude sickness. Wife did year before last though when we climbed a 14'r. We had been above 12 a few times and she didnt have any issues. That hike though she started feeling the effects once we got up around 12750. She pushed on to 14 to check that box and we started back down quickly. She ended up being very nauseated the rest of the day and that evening but was fine by the next morning. Odd how it affects different folks at different elevations.

You and Grabwad putting another trip together? If so are yall going to put in for the unit from last year? I am planning to put in for that unit and hope to draw. Hate that it went to a draw for archery but oh well.

How do you know that top secret information! Lol
Yeah that’s the plan. We have some back up plans if we don’t get drawn for it.
Probably make another scouting trip this summer.

I’ve always judged people in the gym for grit. Lots of other ways to show it. But if someone is on that thing for more than an hour on a regular basis I can safely assume they are full of grit.
Their legs and lungs are in pretty good shape for sure.

How do you know that top secret information! Lol
Yeah that’s the plan. We have some back up plans if we don’t get drawn for it.
Probably make another scouting trip this summer.
You just never know who is watching LOL. Not sure what my dates are going to be this year but had planned to stay in contact with Grabwad in case we are going to be out at the same time. I will be going solo again this year so if timing works thought we might want to hook up. With what yall have learned in the areas yall hunted and what I have learned in the areas I have been hunting, we might up our odds. I have no back up plan for elk this year unless I decide to put in for NM and happen to draw. Would prolly make a whitetail trip back up to north MO or maybe go do a hunt in OK.

Hoping to draw Arizona. If that falls through, I'll be looking at Idaho, New Mexico, and Montana. My backup to the backup is Alberta.

Back