• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ethics inserts

jaberryhunter

What is everyone take on ethic inserts/collars? Do you mind sanding your arrows down for the collars to fit or do you go a tad bigger so you don't have to sand? I have black eagle rampages od is .264 collar id they suggest is .262. Not sure if I wanna try the sanding of my arrows again. Didnt go so well last time for me.

It's easy to sand them but also annoying. I followed the instructions per his video of lightly chucking them in a drill but still found it annoying as all get out even though it was not hard to do. Of course it is also a bit messy. I won't be buying any more Ethics stuff till he starts making things to fit. If he makes sizes that don't require me to sand arrows then I'd likely buy again. I to have been curious about just buying slightly over sized collars so I don't have to sand. Not sure how that would work, might have to put a little hot melt when installing them to be sure they don't rattle.

I like ethics. For the larger arrows i just go with the standard insert. Micros i went with the insert with collar and sanding two dozen arrows becomes a pain and messy. If not done right will cause problems. Ive thought about the larger collar as well and just adding hot melt to fill the gap but never tried it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thats what I ran into. About a month ago I ruined a 1/2 dz victory rip (new, never shot). Had to sand them and they split at the tip. Dont want that again. I seen iron wills collars are a .267 which would be bigger then my .264 arrow. I also seen ethics has a .267 collar. I dunno.

I'm using them on Grizzlystik Momentum 400 shafts and they fit fine. No sanding needed.
But if I were to design those insert, I would thread the core so the weight could be manipulated. Once you cut an Ethics, you cannot go back.

I'm using them on Grizzlystik Momentum 400 shafts and they fit fine. No sanding needed.
But if I were to design those insert, I would thread the core so the weight could be manipulated. Once you cut an Ethics, you cannot go back.
yeah i left mine uncut. just scared to try them again on my dozen arrows i ordered. should i go to the .267 id collar since my arrows are .264 or i see how the .262 fit?

yeah i left mine uncut. just scared to try them again on my dozen arrows i ordered. should i go to the .267 id collar since my arrows are .264 or i see how the .262 fit?
I can only relate how the Ethics worked on my Momentum 400s. They are fine. Can't speak of how they will work on other spines or other brand shafts.
Btw, there's a lot to be gained by shooting a tapered shaft...I like the Momentum.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I love ethics & will have them on every arrow build I do until something better
comes along. But.....they are a pain in the az. Wish they'd come up with some
kind of jig or something to simplify. There's got to be a better way then a drill
& sanding block. Oppurtunity for someone crafty to make a few dollars.

kind of jig or something to simplify. There's got to be a better way then a drill
See that is why I'm still debating on going with a collar that is like .003 bigger so I won't have to sand.

See that is why I'm still debating on going with a collar that is like .003 bigger so I won't have to sand.
The Ethics collars that they sell for the Momentum 400 shafts is slightly (very slightly) larger than the shaft and I see no issue with it being larger. I can't say what the exact amount of "oversize" is but I can't imagine that .003 difference would be unacceptable. I think I would try the oversized collars.

The Ethics collars that they sell for the Momentum 400 shafts is slightly (very slightly) larger than the shaft and I see no issue with it being larger. I can't say what the exact amount of "oversize" is but I can't imagine that .003 difference would be unacceptable. I think I would try the oversized collars.
With the momentum shafts being tampered I’m guessing that the diameter will change depending on what length they are cut at. Is it so small that it doesn’t really matter or do you have to account for this.

I have gt hunter with camo and I had to sand the camo away to get the ethics recommend sleeve to fit. 6 arrows took about 10-15 minutes with arrow chucked in cordless drill and sandpaper. Just take ur time to remove as little as required...stopping and test fit as u go. I made it real tight and used a field point to make it almost a press fit. If I screw my broadheads off the arrow the sleeve stays put.

With that said it would have been nice to not have to sand but if there is any play between the sleeve and arrow IMO it would decrease structural integrity. Imagine the arrow coming in and hitting not square....the arrow shaft will bend/flex and if there is any play between sleeve and shaft it would act like a fulcrum point and the sleeve could damage the arrow shaft. With it being tight fit it would still happen but significantly less if the broadhead/insert/front of arrow essentially being 1 solid unit.

Also with larger diameter sleeve u possibly could run into the broadhead ferrel being smaller than sleeve making a bump that would cause less penetration

With the momentum shafts being tampered I’m guessing that the diameter will change depending on what length they are cut at. Is it so small that it doesn’t really matter or do you have to account for this.
With Momentum shafts, It's best to cut the nock end because it keeps the heavier front end of the shaft in tact, which helps with FOC and overall arrow weight.
And another benefit of cutting the nock end during the tuning process is that you won't have to glue/unglue the inserts. Just pull out the nock and trim the shaft.
But with that being said, I've become a big fan of the cool melt glue. It holds well but it's also unglued with hot tap water.

One other bit of advice with the Ethics that the people from Grizzlystik told me...
It helps to grind a small bevel on the end of the insert. If the insert is not beveled, the sharp cut off edge can actually cause damage to the shaft from the inside in the event of the arrow flexing if it hits heavy bone.

With Momentum shafts, It's best to cut the nock end because it keeps the heavier front end of the shaft in tact, which helps with FOC and overall arrow weight.
And another benefit of cutting the nock end during the tuning process is that you won't have to glue/unglue the inserts. Just pull out the nock and trim the shaft.
But with that being said, I've become a big fan of the cool melt glue. It holds well but it's also unglued with hot tap water.
Love cool melt glue specially while setting everything up. Easy to apply and easy to remove.

One other bit of advice with the Ethics that the people from Grizzlystik told me...
It helps to grind a small bevel on the end of the insert. If the insert is not beveled, the sharp cut off edge can actually cause damage to the shaft from the inside in the event of the arrow flexing if it hits heavy bone.
Never knew that.

There is a better way that doesn’t involve sanding. He just needs to make more sizes so no sanding is required. It’s very simple. I won’t be buying anymore that require sanding.

Back