• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ever used string trackers?

Fgirtyman

SH Member
I’ve used them years ago. Mixed results.
What’s your take?
Trads-Compounds? What’s your experience?
Turkeys? Deer? Hogs?

I wouldn't use one.

First, it can affect arrow flight. And is one more thing to go wrong.

Second: I think these were designed when pass throughs weren't as common and the expectation was the arrow stayed in the deer and pulled the thread. A friend used them in the 90s. The arrow will go through the deer and stick in the ground usually and then the strong string/cord goes through the deer like one of those wire saws in the handle of a rambo knife. It cuts the animal while the animal runs away from you. I have seen it cut a few inches into the animal that we found dead maybe 100 yards away. Imagine a non-fatal hit and all that string pulling through and sawing as the deer runs. I consider them inhumane when the arrow will likely pass through like this.

edit: It saws because the string gets caught in the brush and provides resistance so the deer is pulling the string through the brush using a wound in its body.

Last edited:
My dad was kind of a gadget guy. (So I blame genetics!)
He was very excited about the first string tracker he slapped on his bow sometime in the mid 90’s.

First time he used it he had a shot opportunity on a nice adult doe. Drew back, released arrow, watched deer run off and the string get pulled out of his bow like crazy. (Think huge fish on a small fishing reel). Peeled line out like mad and then……nothing.

He was ecstatic! Figured there would be a dead deer at the end of the line. Came and got me. We tracked down several hundred yards of string, probably about a quarter mile across an open field. Oddly, we weren’t finding blood. And there were two strings?!

Went back to “the point of impact” and found his arrow. It was clean. Yup, in the heat of the moment he forgot to compensate for the extra drag of the string tracker and shot right underneath that doe, which must have resulted in the string getting wrapped around one or more of her legs. LOL. I can only imagine what that scene was like as she peeled line out, him getting excited, and the doe wondering what was going on. Quite the circus act!

I wouldn't use one.

First, it can affect arrow flight. And is one more thing to go wrong.

Second: I think these were designed when pass throughs weren't as common and the expectation was the arrow stayed in the deer and pulled the thread. A friend used them in the 90s. The arrow will go through the deer and stick in the ground usually and then the strong string/cord goes through the deer like one of those wire saws in the handle of a rambo knife. It cuts the animal while the animal runs away from you. I have seen it cut a few inches into the animal that we found dead maybe 100 yards away. Imagine a non-fatal hit and all that string pulling through and sawing as the deer runs. I consider them inhumane when the arrow will likely pass through like this.
I’m getting to the point where I’m thinking about 50% of archery shots taken end up being inhumane - objectively, based solely on outcome, using about the same criteria you’re using here.

I’m getting to the point where I’m thinking about 50% of archery shots taken end up being inhumane - objectively, based solely on outcome, using about the same criteria you’re using here.
I think all the ink that gets spilled over the shots that go wrong make it seem that way, just like when there is a documented saddle accident it gets a lot of run time. We don't tend to overly debate all the things that went right with everyone's successful shots. It just gets the usual, "went 40 yards and tipped over." It's human nature to dwell on the things that go wrong. That's why newspapers have a saying, "if it bleeds, it leads".

I used to use one years ago but gave them up when I realized I didn't need it if I kept my broadheads razor sharp and waited for a good shot angle. Still have one in my archery junk box. They did work though. I remember practicing with it at 20 yards when I first got it and the string would pile up on the arrow when it hit the target. Didn't seem to effect my arrow flight at all.

I am thinking 50 yards of 550 cord and the other end tied to a cinder block. That should definitely reduce the tracking. Kind of like when we spearfish for pelagic fish, a float line tied to a non-crushable float. Good luck pulling that cinder block through the forest.

I just started shooting Trad in the past few months, and I added a string tracker based on a buddies recommendation. I don’t think they are right for every situation, but in some situations they can definitely make a difference in recovery rates. Early season finds us hunting bears in the Southern Appalachians. Thick, nasty and steep.

My buddy shot a nice bear quartering away. Determined later he hit liver and one lung. After the shot he was amazed at the amount of string that peeled out of the spool. He waited several hours before beginning to track it. He wound up following that string for 273 yds before finding his bear based on the onXmaps tracker feature. He was consciously looking for blood as he was walking and only found a single drop in all that way. Fatty bears can be notorious for not bleeding much depending on many factors.

That bear had wound through an almost impenetrable thicket on the side of a steep mountain, and without the string there would have been zero chance for recovery. I have practiced with mine, and inside of 18 yds it has no impact on arrow flight out of my recurve at 42lbs.
F82A86EB-DB47-4980-A9DC-78BEE1142CA3.jpeg

Just tie the para cord around the base of your tree. Then you don't have to carry the cinder block in. Now it's an ultralight setup.
I like to give them a fighting chance. If I am really trying to kill deer I put the play toys down and grab a gun.

If I truly get hungry I will grab a gun. If I am hunting, I will use a bow.
I just like killing and eating deer. The only reason I use anything other than a rifle is because of the state mandated seasons. Shot this dude inside 40 yards with the 30.06. (archery range for sure)public 89.jpg

I just started shooting Trad in the past few months, and I added a string tracker based on a buddies recommendation. I don’t think they are right for every situation, but in some situations they can definitely make a difference in recovery rates. Early season finds us hunting bears in the Southern Appalachians. Thick, nasty and steep.

My buddy shot a nice bear quartering away. Determined later he hit liver and one lung. After the shot he was amazed at the amount of string that peeled out of the spool. He waited several hours before beginning to track it. He wound up following that string for 273 yds before finding his bear based on the onXmaps tracker feature. He was consciously looking for blood as he was walking and only found a single drop in all that way. Fatty bears can be notorious for not bleeding much depending on many factors.

That bear had wound through an almost impenetrable thicket on the side of a steep mountain, and without the string there would have been zero chance for recovery. I have practiced with mine, and inside of 18 yds it has no impact on arrow flight out of my recurve at 42lbs.
View attachment 77386
They work fine on whitetails. Just have to remember to strip about 20 yds of string out before hunting or taking a practice shot. No difference in flight in 20 yrds if you do this.

I just like killing and eating deer. The only reason I use anything other than a rifle is because of the state mandated seasons. Shot this dude inside 40 yards with the 30.06. (archery range for sure)View attachment 77392
A lot of folks are like this. I know a guy who only bowhunts because that is the only thing that is legal early season. He bought one of those high dollar crossbows. He said he can shoot deer 120 yards away. He throws it down the second any form of firearm is legal. I believe if someone made a trail camera with a gun attached to it so that he could get a email showing the deer in front of the gun camera, and it was legal, and he could just push a button to fire it from wherever he was he would have half a dozen of those gun cameras in the woods. He could then just drive out, collect his deer and post pictures to facebook. As long as he has some pictures to post of him with a buck on social media that is #1. Not saying this is how you are, but there are certainly a lot of guys out there like this.

They work fine on whitetails. Just have to remember to strip about 20 yds of string out before hunting or taking a practice shot. No difference in flight in 20 yrds if you do this.

Good point. I’m using the 17 lb test, and discard several hundred feet of it off a new spool before hunting.

I think all the ink that gets spilled over the shots that go wrong make it seem that way, just like when there is a documented saddle accident it gets a lot of run time. We don't tend to overly debate all the things that went right with everyone's successful shots. It just gets the usual, "went 40 yards and tipped over." It's human nature to dwell on the things that go wrong. That's why newspapers have a saying, "if it bleeds, it leads".
We collectively are probably recovering 50% or less, that’s hundreds of thousands, probably millions each season.

Back