• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EWO alpaca socks

Ayoung

Any of you guys have these socks? I’m looking at them and wondering if they are worth the money. Or do any of you have alpaca socks by another company and any thoughts on them?

I have a pair from a local alpaca farmer here, they are thick and warm, I'm a fan personally but they are expensive.

If you're looking for great quality, American made wool socks, get People Socks. They're Merino wool, I wear them daily as a boot sock and sell for a great price.

I bought 1 pair of the Altera Alpaca Conquer almost 1 year ago to try out and put through the paces. I have worn them almost every day. Usually go a couple days between washing. Other than some white fuzzies from other clothes, they have held up extremely well. Feel almost the same as the day I bought them. My work boots are waterproof, so they don't breathe. It takes much longer for my feet to start sweating wearing these and once I take boots off, the heat from my feet essentially dries them out within a minute or two. Wearing them hunting with 400g boots gets be down into the 20's. I did purchase a pair of their thicker Prevail socks last year for when it was colder. They are equally as impressive, but have no where near the hours of use the Conquer has.

I have 2 pair of the EWO socks and, for me, they are absolutely worth the money. They are the warmest socks I have ever owned.

Reactions: MEB
I thought they were extremely small and thus weren't as warm as I was expecting them to be. I'm a size 12 so maybe smaller feet will be fine. Then the wife did something in the wash and now they fit my 3 year old. Be careful with them if you get them.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Gator, what size did you get cause I’m a 12 as well. I know there are some real good merino socks too and a lot of people swear by them but I was just curious if the alpaca was better.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Gator, what size did you get cause I’m a 12 as well. I know there are some real good merino socks too and a lot of people swear by them but I was just curious if the alpaca was better.
I had to go look it up on the receipt. Size was large.

I bought 1 pair of the Altera Alpaca Conquer almost 1 year ago to try out and put through the paces. I have worn them almost every day. Usually go a couple days between washing. Other than some white fuzzies from other clothes, they have held up extremely well. Feel almost the same as the day I bought them. My work boots are waterproof, so they don't breathe. It takes much longer for my feet to start sweating wearing these and once I take boots off, the heat from my feet essentially dries them out within a minute or two. Wearing them hunting with 400g boots gets be down into the 20's. I did purchase a pair of their thicker Prevail socks last year for when it was colder. They are equally as impressive, but have no where near the hours of use the Conquer has.
I also have those. I love them.
I've used merino wool for decades and they are very good but alpaca are even better.

Not to derail your alpaca train of thought, but if you, or any of you reading this are not hip to Darn Tough socks, you should be. I’ve worn damn near every brand of high quality socks on the market and darn tough are the best, hands down. Merino wool, many different styles, and above all else, a lifetime warranty.

Not to derail your alpaca train of thought, but if you, or any of you reading this are not hip to Darn Tough socks, you should be. I’ve worn damn near every brand of high quality socks on the market and darn tough are the best, hands down. Merino wool, many different styles, and above all else, a lifetime warranty.

Thanks. How would you compare them to Smartwool?

toasty toes from warrior alpaca are the warmest socks i've ever worn, warmer than my merino wool

if i recall, alpaca is a hair (not sure of the exact differences between fur, hair, and wool) and is hollow and has air inside each fiber

i guess it makes sense because alpaca look like comical, long legged sheep that live in the andes mountains, so they better have a warm coat

Thanks. How would you compare them to Smartwool?
I’m not a fan of smartwool stuff. They just don’t fit as well for me. I’ve had issues with smart wool socks bunching up and the calve part of it slipping down a lot. Are they nice well made socks, of course they are. But to compare them to darn tough, I think darn tough socks are just a little bit higher quality , and personally for me darn tough fit and wear better.

I’m not a fan of smartwool stuff. They just don’t fit as well for me. I’ve had issues with smart wool socks bunching up and the calve part of it slipping down a lot. Are they nice well made socks, of course they are. But to compare them to darn tough, I think darn tough socks are just a little bit higher quality , and personally for me darn tough fit and wear better.

i've worn through the bottoms of the thinner smart wools socks after just a few years of not that hard use

i think they charge more than they should and get credit because of their name and being a hiking icon

There was a thread on here a couple years ago about Alpaca socks being the best socks you can buy. I did alot of research and then ordered a pair. I can't remember the brand but I will never hunt in the cold without them again. They dry out fast and keep my feet warm and dry

There was a thread on here a couple years ago about Alpaca socks being the best socks you can buy. I did alot of research and then ordered a pair. I can't remember the brand but I will never hunt in the cold without them again. They dry out fast and keep my feet warm and dry

i looked into a full base layer set of alpaca, and i recall it being crazy expensive

but i'd love a full set

i can afford the socks though, and you're making me want to impulse buy some more right now

some primo hunting clothes company (kuiu, etc) should bring this fiber mainstream

i'd estimate it is nearly 50 percent warmer than wool for same weight

i don't know about others, but i'm really protective over these socks

i wash them cold in a laundry bag on gentle and then lay flat to dry with a flip halfway through drying

they are about like fleece though and are almost dry coming out of the spin cycle, so not much dry time needed

Back