• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Examples of dangerous carabiner loading

Quick question guys. Should the opening of the gate be located at the bottom or at the top?

Best practice is to have the gate opening towards the bottom and the gate facing you. Having the gate face you makes it easier to confirm that you have proper gate closure. The opening towards the bottom is more important for gates that screw locked. The idea is that gravity will help keep the gate screwed locked. By the way, a snug finger tightening of the lock is enough. Too tight and it may jam on you.

Quick question guys. Should the opening of the gate be located at the bottom or at the top?
I'm no rock climber, but studying about saddle hunting and watching a ton of videos about climbing trees, rocks etc. One person said the locking device should be in a downward direction and facing the climber. He then said, "It's always best to screw the locking device down, before you end up screwing up"...

I'm no rock climber, but studying about saddle hunting and watching a ton of videos about climbing trees, rocks etc. One person said the locking device should be in a downward direction and facing the climber. He then said, "It's always best to screw the locking device down, before you end up screwing up"...

I’m just going to bump this thread one more time before season opens here tomorrow. Always a good idea to re-check your equipment, but also your methods, before using and abusing your gear in the field.

Best practice is to have the gate opening towards the bottom and the gate facing you. Having the gate face you makes it easier to confirm that you have proper gate closure. The opening towards the bottom is more important for gates that screw locked. The idea is that gravity will help keep the gate screwed locked. By the way, a snug finger tightening of the lock is enough. Too tight and it may jam on you.

I can't remember if I read it or watched a video but the phrase that stuck in my head as for how to orient a carabiner went like this:

"It is better to screw down than to screw up!"

Now everytime I rig myself up that I find myself muttering that, lol.

i am ready to replace my tether carabiner. it is an HSS carabiner. any suggestions?

i am ready to replace my tether carabiner. it is an HSS carabiner. any suggestions?
I read that the HSS carabiner is rated at 3000# breaking strength, which if true means
it’s plenty strong. But it’s heavy as sin because it’s steel. Just got the Black Diamond Mini Pearabiner from Tethrd which is rated similarly, but weighs about 1/8 what the HSS weighs lol. It’s only like $15 on Tethrd, and those shouldn’t likely be on backorder like their cloth and mesh goods. The Black Diamond Positron is similar to Mini Pearabiner but a little cheaper and can often be found in multi-packs; I’ve heard good things about the Metolius Bravo as well.

Last edited:
Which one of these examples occur when you use a carabiner to attach to your tether as it comes around the tree instead of girth hitching. I am afraid a lot of folks use a carabiner instead of taking the time to thread the rope and attachments through a knotted loop or the spliced eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back