• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Eye Splice

So I have ordered my c-iv canyon rope 9mm. I would like to have somebody local (Houston, Tx) spice an eye on each section for me. Is that a service that can be paid for commericaly or do I need to seek out a private party?

Would doing a sewn eye be a better for a DIY since I'm not comfortable doing a splice. Thanks

Check the forum search, but I am pretty sure I've seen this discussion before and c-iv can neither be spliced or sewn, but I've seen sewn OpLux so who knows? I'm sure if you emailed customer service at Iron Street Splicing they could probably inform you of your options.

It can be spliced, although probably not by commercial companies. For legal reasons the manufacturer’s splicing instructions should be used, but Sterling doesn’t provide any that I know of.
108F33B0-7154-47AC-9EE4-BBD4339CDA09.jpeg

That is a very interesting Video. I have no expertise in ropes whatsoever but it looks promising. Before I would put it into actual use I'd look into sending one out to have it tested. I've heard of a place that does testing called Arbsession.

I’ve seen some testing of that type of hand sewing, round perimeter stitching that got very good results. I’ve done the machine like pattern and got fair results, not as good as these.
I first saw it on the Practical Sailor forum.
BFD71542-533D-481A-B5C8-E046F8E7F591.jpeg

I was listening to the guy doing the sewing and he was saying the strength depends on the weight rating of the twine and how many passes.

I have to say, it looks pretty rock solid to me.

Got my curiosity going after watching the video so I did a bit of research on hand sewing eyes. I'll put up a link to an arborist site where they are discussing sewn eyes. They do mention a certain thread size and sewing pattern too. After watching an automated machine do the sewing it looks like the first pass is done close to the edges, second pass in the opposite direction a bit further towards the center and the last pass is made about in the center of the two ropes with a tight weave. When they tested the sewing they had to use steel carabiners because aluminum biners would break before the stitching.

That is the harder method, it gets very tight for the third pass, and usually is rock hard. The Round Perimeter stitching is more flexible. A note to those thinking of sewing, make sure to use a rounded tip on the needle, called a ball tip, not the chisel type that comes with the Speedy Stitcher. The sailmakers needles might also be the chisel type.

Got my curiosity going after watching the video so I did a bit of research on hand sewing eyes. I'll put up a link to an arborist site where they are discussing sewn eyes. They do mention a certain thread size and sewing pattern too. After watching an automated machine do the sewing it looks like the first pass is done close to the edges, second pass in the opposite direction a bit further towards the center and the last pass is made about in the center of the two ropes with a tight weave. When they tested the sewing they had to use steel carabiners because aluminum biners would break before the stitching.

I watched another video that showed a special machine that did the sewing. Amazing stuff.
Here is another question. If I was to do a sewn eye, would the section just below the eye that is stitched, would it be so stiff that it would be hard to do a friction hitch? Would it not bend naturally? Just thinking out loud here.

Whether you sewed the eye yourself or paid the $25 to have it sewn, It would be stiff, but your friction hitch would be well below the eye.

Whether you sewed the eye yourself or paid the $25 to have it sewn, It would be stiff, but your friction hitch would be well below the eye.
I have my knots and hitches all confused. I meant to say girth hitch, not friction hitch. sorry.

Last edited:
Back