• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Face paint?

Nimbus1376

SH Member
Spend enough time on social media looking at awesome grip n grins of great animals and I’m sure you’ll notice the sometimes ludicrous amounts of face paint that people wear. I’ve never worn face paint or a head net and haven’t had any apparent busts as a consequence. I am, admittedly, a novice bow hunter, but have taken two buck and two doe over the last two years without dressing up as “the crow”. Any thoughts?

If a Deer doesnt see you in solid blaze orange, I wouldn’t be too worried about painting your face....true In bow range they will notice solid colors a little more but just don’t get yourself silhouetted and don’t worry about the face paint... they’re not turkeys or waterfowl

Last edited:
Spend enough time on social media looking at awesome grip n grins of great animals and I’m sure you’ll notice the sometimes ludicrous amounts of face paint that people wear. I’ve never worn face paint or a head net and haven’t had any apparent busts as a consequence. I am, admittedly, a novice bow hunter, but have taken two buck and two doe over the last two years without dressing up as “the crow”. Any thoughts?

I've worn it, especially on the ground with a leafy suit on (leafy suits and ghillies work). My thinking was if it gives me even a 2% advantage, then I'll take it. If I hunt on the ground next year with a bow, I'll probably use it. I can't wear a face net and shoot a bow.

I never put a crazy amount on (nothing on my eyelids, etc, just lines and blobs with probably 50% of skin not covered). If you try it, just break up your outline and use the cream paint in a tube (it doesn't itch and also doesn't rub off as well....the grease paint is ineffective and torture). Be sure to have wet wipes handy in the vehicle.

It stinks to get it on your clothes/hat (I just don't like that, doesn't hurt it). Also, use it long enough and you'll get it on the seat of your vehicle or somewhere else you don't want it.

Too many cons to face paint. I have a hat and gaitor, often times don't wear the hat and drop my gaitor with my release hand after I draw so I can anchor for my shot. Trigger finger is plenty to move it down enough to get on my nose button.

I just wear a neck gator and/or grow a beard. Thin light synthetic in early season and heavier in late season. If you are 20ft up or higher, no need. If your deer don’t walk around looking up, no need. If it’s overcast or you are in the shadows, no need. If you don’t have to move to make a shot when they are close (like with a crossbow) no need. The human face shines and stands out when the rest of your surroundings and clothing is dark or absorbing light. It really depends on your deer. I hate face paint. Too much trouble. Most people wear it because they feel cool. Like when they are shooting a deer at 50 to 1000 yards with face paint. No need.

Last edited:
I love face paint, if you haven't tried carbo mask you are missing out. Easy to apply and wipes off with a wet wash cloth or a baby wipe (staple of the hunting rig). I have a theory, I think deer see the shine of a hunters face, especially my white non bearded face, plus my face is what moves the most. Face paint is generally broken out in mid to late October, it's like cologne on date night, face paint gets me in the mood. I am not one of those dweebs with fancy designs, I am the guy with full coverage in three colors.

Get good cover and watch your eyeballs.
my Dad killed probably 100’s of bucks of all ages in full red or brown flannels jeans or wool flannel pants.
back then you could kill one deer a year and it was only a buck.
So those boys back in the day are imho 200% better woodsman than any of these big so called expert you tubers.
Most of These social media guys are really full of themselves. As flava flav always said. “Don’t believe the hype”
No face paint or face cover.
he always told me watch your eyeballs.
Deer can see them like we see theirs.
Its the first thing they look for.
I used to wear a mask but i cant stand them.
when deer look my way i squint my eyes til they look away.
old savy log head will pick your eyeballs out before you can even blink.

I like it can help, especially on the ground. And early season with alot of foliage. But I have also killed many bucks without it.

When I was young and poor I would use burnt cork for face paint, works great. Typically I don't use face paint much anymore with a neck gaiter or my beard but that's getting white now so I may have to reconsider or just shave it. I do like "cammying" up now and then...it just puts me in a killin' mood. Especially early bow season when its hot and I feel like I should be doing something else.

my Dad killed probably 100’s of bucks of all ages in full red or brown flannels jeans or wool flannel pants.
So those boys back in the day are imho 200% better woodsman than any of these big so called expert you tubers.
Most of These social media guys are really full of themselves. As flava flav always said. “Don’t believe the hype”
I agree, I never look at the antlers or in the deer's eyes.... they have that sixth sense for sure!!!

Wore camo face paint the first few years I hunted, now wear a face mask. Easy on, easy off and no cleanup required. Have different fabric weights dependent on the weather: warm, mild, cold, etc. Seems to work well.

I wore it when I was a kid but now I have so many wrinkles I would never get the stuff off.

Quick story, I worked at BPS for a few years and a couple team members were going duck hunting for the first time. One of the guy's told them they couldn't have any skin showing or the ducks would spot them! LOL they took a bath in that stuff! Even after showering they still had it in different areas.

But if I don’t wear face paint, how will the other guys in the parking lot know I’m a bad a hunter instead of just a regular ol’ hunter?

In all seriousness, I wear paint. I think it cuts down on reflection and dulls what would otherwise be a big white thing that moves every so often.

this^

My Grandpa taught me this also. I will hunt without a mask or face paint but I always like to wear a hat. You can keep your eyes covered with the rim of the hat and squint while keeping track of where the deer are.

Have you ever had an owl land in a tree next to you unknowingly? The first thing you notice are the eyes and not the coloring around them and they have perfect camouflage.

this^

My Grandpa taught me this also. I will hunt without a mask or face paint but I always like to wear a hat. You can keep your eyes covered with the rim of the hat and squint while keeping track of where the deer are.

Have you ever had an owl land in a tree next to you unknowingly? The first thing you notice are the eyes and not the coloring around them and they have perfect camouflage.

Hunting, out in the rain, or when I'm working and might have dirt fall in my face are the only times I wear a hat (unless super cold to save my ears). I keep my brim low in the tree. It drives me nuts having a hat on.

Last edited:
Once there coming into range I always keep my head tilted down and never look them in the eyes until I’m ready to shoot, having a beard helps, mine is turning a snow camo pattern, I tell the wife it’s not grey but chrome like a Harley!

this^

Exactly bro. Spot on example and yes. Ive had owls snd hawks dam near scare me out the tree lol

Once there coming into range I always keep my head tilted down and never look them in the eyes until I’m ready to shoot, having a beard helps, mine is turning a snow camo pattern, I tell the wife it’s not grey but chrome like a Harley!

I wear glasses also, so I think it is a double whammy...if you aren't giving them the stink eye then you are flashing them with a signalling mirror.

Back