• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Facebook Fall Part 2

dlist777

Some more info. He definitely is claiming his Oplux tether broke. See attached.Screenshot_20201016-184104_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20201016-184115_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20201016-182159_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20201016-183027_Facebook.jpg

I guess we will need to see pictures of the rope to have an educated guess. Sounds like he thinks it broke, question is why did it?

Yes. I honestly couldn't imagine any rated rope failing like that just by leaning into it. I'll post up more follow up if I see. Sounds like he's in bad shape....

First and foremost I hope he recovers well. Secondly, I just cannot see this happening without some sort of user error. I'm not saying this man is lying, but I just cannot see rope rated at 5k+ breaking strength to fail by leaning on it. I mean that is maybe a couple hundred pounds at most. It could probably hold that weight just by the outer sheath alone. I may be wrong, but something just doesn't seem right here.

Sounds like the rope sheared and/or severed completely below the girth hitch. Seems unlikely that would happen to new rope without prior damage or misuse or even manufacturer defect.

Sent from d_mobile

I can’t see oplux breaking by just leaning either.... Even if the inside cord did break the sheath should have held his weight with what he said he was doing. My thoughts is he slipped with slack in his tether and that dynamic fall snapped the rope or his Prusik slid all the way down and came off the rope due to no stopper knot. I wonder how many wraps he had on his Prusik. I could see him sliding with a 6mm TRC Prusik that insufficient number of wraps with TRC 3 wraps is to sticky and 2 wraps is to slippery. That’s why other hitches are preferable if using TRC.

I’ll sound off. Obviously I hope and pray for a speedy recovery.
Now. I used oplux in active for rappelling, fast roping, ship boarding, etc. We beat the piss outta our lines and to my knowledge never had one part ASIDE from the one that parted on me which caused my injuries BUT that was because it received damage during an op. I would be very interested to see that line.

I’m hoping for a full recovery for this fellow. There are some key points I think are missing:
Was it reallly Oplux? He doesn’t id the seller, so do we really know it was reputable or even new rope? Did the rope have a sewn eye or a tied bight? And who sewed it or tied it? What cord was used for the prusik? Was it tied correctly? Was there a stopper knot at the end of the tether?
I hear him speaking as if he is sure his tether broke, but honestly he can only be speculating if he hasn’t handled the tether since he fell. Of all the options, a legit climbing rope breaking seems least likely. Speaking from experience, a fall happens so quick you really don’t know where it went wrong in the moment. Just got to trust your equipment will hold you long enough for you to process the event.

While saddle hunting does not put the strain on ropes that climbing does, I learned a long time ago while at Mountain Warfare Training to pinch test ropes before and after every use. Better safe than sorry. I hope he heals up quickly.
Can you describe this (the pinch test) and what you're looking for? For a civilian like me....

@Vtbow are ropes tested by manufacturer before being sold?

Surely they batch test - start a run of rope, hit pause, cut a chunk off and destructively test, run the rope, cut a chunk off end, destructively test, then sell the batch if both tests are good.

beyond that, do they pull each individual hank? I’d imagine not.

The batch testing would give us very, very good odds that everything in that batch is good. It would go a long way towards determining cause of failure.

Facebook is great for us even knowing about a failure. And it’s terrible for likely Us knowing causing more problems than not knowing, given the immediate jumping to conclusions that is happening.

i wouldn’t be surprised if this person doesn’t even exist, and it’s just graduate level trolling. I wouldn’t be surprised if some really dumb thing was done to the rope prior to climbing. I wouldnt be surprised if the part that failed is not what he says it is. I wouldn’t be surprised if his girlfriend found out he was hanging with the Neighbor lady and cut his rope.

but I would be damned surprised if oplux failed, as in broke in two, straight from sterling.

this story shouldn’t change anything you do. If it does, it should make you inspect your gear. If you don’t already do that, shame! Shame! Shame!

I wonder if there was any use of heatshrink on this tether. UHMWPE melts around 130C.

I wonder if there was any use of heatshrink on this tether. UHMWPE melts around 130C.

The temperature limitation on spectra fibers is 147C. Most heat shrink melts around 140C. You have the heat shrink and the sheath between the heat source and the core. If it's a sewn eye, by a qualified company, this is another low percentage risk. But, the heat shrink is definitely done by human hands. There's always the chance bobby the heat shrink guy is playing on facebook on his phone while torching the rope...

The temperature limitation on spectra fibers is 147C. Most heat shrink melts around 140C. You have the heat shrink and the sheath between the heat source and the core. If it's a sewn eye, by a qualified company, this is another low percentage risk. But, the heat shrink is definitely done by human hands. There's always the chance bobby the heat shrink guy is playing on facebook on his phone while torching the rope...
I would try a hair dryer on heatshrink for this application and then if that didn't work maybe a heat gun....but a torch???? I don't think I would. On second thought I wouldn't use heat shrink on UHMPE. Let it fray. Or tape.

@Vtbow are ropes tested by manufacturer before being sold?

Surely they batch test - start a run of rope, hit pause, cut a chunk off and destructively test, run the rope, cut a chunk off end, destructively test, then sell the batch if both tests are good.

beyond that, do they pull each individual hank? I’d imagine not.

The batch testing would give us very, very good odds that everything in that batch is good. It would go a long way towards determining cause of failure.

Facebook is great for us even knowing about a failure. And it’s terrible for likely Us knowing causing more problems than not knowing, given the immediate jumping to conclusions that is happening.

i wouldn’t be surprised if this person doesn’t even exist, and it’s just graduate level trolling. I wouldn’t be surprised if some really dumb thing was done to the rope prior to climbing. I wouldnt be surprised if the part that failed is not what he says it is. I wouldn’t be surprised if his girlfriend found out he was hanging with the Neighbor lady and cut his rope.

but I would be damned surprised if oplux failed, as in broke in two, straight from sterling.

this story shouldn’t change anything you do. If it does, it should make you inspect your gear. If you don’t already do that, shame! Shame! Shame!

That is possible. It could be the famous fake news.

But what would be the motivation? A competitive rope company?
There is usually a motive for lies.
I am sure it was Russia. Or Hillary.
Moderator. Just a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back