• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fastest crossbow in the World! Ten Point Crossbow...505 fps

Newhunter1

SH Member
Well at least that's what their ad states. I'm not going to get one as i have the Excalibur 400 TD Assassin...but these keep getting more and more crazy. I wonder what it sounds like? I'm at work and cannot access the ten point website as it's a weapon...but I imagine the price to be north of 2500.00 especially with an option of having the Burris Oracle X as a rangefinder scope.

Guess they are trying to top the Ravin 500fps. But they probably cant top the cost of the Ravin.

Kinda off topic, so you all think there will ever come a day that crossbows reach such a high level of technology that it’s basically unfair to take them archery hunting

How are we not already there?

I am not against crossbows, BUT, I do believe a bow should have to be drawn to shoot at the time of the shot. I also fully support someone who has a medical reason for not being able to draw a bow back using one. I almost view a crossbow as a participation trophy of bow hunting(for those who can, but don't).

How are we not already there?

I am not against crossbows, BUT, I do believe a bow should have to be drawn to shoot at the time of the shot. I also fully support someone who has a medical reason for not being able to draw a bow back using one. I almost view a crossbow as a participation trophy of bow hunting(for those who can, but don't).
For years, crossbows only offered a slight advantage. You didn’t have to worry about getting spotted while drawing, but you still had to be within 40-50 yards and know pretty accurately your yardage. I have seen those ravin crossbows absolutely dump deer out to 70-80 yards with ease. It’s getting to be about as effective as muzzle loaders.

I think a solution may be an age/disability thing, or a separate shorter archery season, maybe like 1 month where crossbows are allowed.

I think crossbows should be allowed whenever mainly for deer herd reasoning. The total deer herd needs managed and I’m assuming crossbows do a good part of that management. Also not all but some crossbow guys don’t practice. That would tell me those types of crossbow guys don’t need compounds because they won’t practice enough to be skillful enough to hunt with. I’d rather they use their crossbow than wound deer because they didn’t practice. Also some hunter don’t have time or want to take time to practice. They maybe only hunt one or two weeks a year so if they want to use something to add to their odds so be it.

Back to the point of the thread. I find it weird how far crossbows have come but compounds don’t seem to be really doing much. Same speeds over the last several years.

Back to the point of the thread. I find it weird how far crossbows have come but compounds don’t seem to be really doing much. Same speeds over the last several years.

How much weight would one have to pull in order to get an arrow traveling 500+ fps. I know I couldn't even pull back my crossbow without the cocker as I was testing a 320lb excalibur micro assassin with just the cocking rope. When I first started hunting, I had the bowtech sampson at 82#'s and since I have a 26" DL, I was barely getting my 450 grain arrow around 270 fps. I'd have to drop my arrow weight well below the 5 gpi minimum. I guess that's why I had to have both shoulders operated on...well that and 20+ years in Judo.

I think the xbow market has been playing catch up to the modern compound bow over last couple decades as far as design and technology.

Topic has been debated on here several times. But I think it depends on your state and how bad they want your money. Michigan for example is loosing hunters every year. Which means less income. Crossbow hunters make up a big percent in archery season. Deer numbers are up. Hunters down. So not gonna do much about it. They are not allowed in the UP late season. But I think that has more to do with deer numbers.
Bottom line is and will be the all mighty dollar. Hope inflation doesn't raise my deer tags next year...

For years, crossbows only offered a slight advantage. You didn’t have to worry about getting spotted while drawing, but you still had to be within 40-50 yards and know pretty accurately your yardage. I have seen those ravin crossbows absolutely dump deer out to 70-80 yards with ease. It’s getting to be about as effective as muzzle loaders.

I think a solution may be an age/disability thing, or a separate shorter archery season, maybe like 1 month where crossbows are allowed.
They are being used alot. In Illinois -- they have been legal since 2017 -- last year they were just .3 percent behind compound in archery deer totals. https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/hunting/deer/Documents/2020-2021_Illinois_Deer_Harvest_Report.pdf I expect them to surpass that this year when the numbers are published.

They are being used alot. In Illinois -- they have been legal since 2017 -- last year they were just .3 percent behind compound in archery deer totals. https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/hunting/deer/Documents/2020-2021_Illinois_Deer_Harvest_Report.pdf I expect them to surpass that this year when the numbers are published.

Very interesting numbers. I personally would like to see the statistic of xbow compared to compound hunters in the field, and then be able to compare those % to the harvest %, to me that is the only true way to determine if xbows are inherently more deadly than compound equipment. Maybe a state has already done these comparisons but not that I’m aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very interesting numbers. I personally would like to see the statistic of xbow compared to compound hunters in the field, and then be able to compare those % to the harvest %, to me that is the only true way to determine if xbows are inherently more deadly than compound equipment. Maybe a state has already done these comparisons but not that I’m aware of.

I think no doubt they’re more deadly and you’re more likely to be successful on a hunt by hunt basis with a crossbow. BUT the people who hunt with a compound probably put more time in the woods on average than the average crossbow hunter. (When I say average crossbow hunter I mean the guy who bought the crossbow 2 weeks before season and shot it one time before he hit the woods. There’s a ton of those guys and they probably don’t kill a ton of deer.)

I agree, if they did the study and ran the comparisons it could end all the bickering and stone throwing among the archery community. As it is now people squabble without real stats to show what is actually happening.

I know in Pa where I am from and I have a buddy in hunting law enforcement (won’t say who or what branch in case you have met him) and we are both avid hunters and both saw a huge drop in hunters during the rifle season this year. We both believe that the cross bows are the reason and more and more hunters are hunting earlier with cross bows and don’t want to make it to rifle season. Think about most shots in mountainous thick areas in these parts, 50-70 yards is likely and you can do it in camo, in warmer weather and what we think is less competition with a rut and more deer, or deer movement. Why would anyone want to try to rifle hunt anymore when a cross bow has all the advantages?
He also said he has found he is more busy checking hunters in archery, most with cross bows vs 5 years ago.

How loud is a 500fps crossbow? Maybe states should combat the technology advances of crossbows and airbows with maximum decibel requirements, which would tilt the scales back towards traditional and compound bow hunters again...

Back