• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Favorite Hunting Story

DB4x4

When you read these three words, what's the very first one that comes to mind? Go...

Oh lawd...

Maybe the time my old man went to take a woods deuce and forgot to bring toilet paper. I'm patiently waiting at the truck when I hear, "Hey! Uh...can you help me out?"

So here I am, trying to wade through the bushes in the dark towards the sound of a grown man with his pants around his ankles hovering over a turd. Trying to get close enough to toss a roll to him, but not TOO close. I'm having a hard time. He starts to get impatient and snaps something along the lines of "Hurry the hell up!"

I pause.

"Ya know, pop, you're really not in a good position to be making demands right now."

Here's mine:

It is the 2nd to last day of firearm season a few years ago. My wife, my buddy, and I are hunting out of my family's camp on public land. We decided to sit for the first couple hours, then meet up to put on some mini drives to get the deer moving. So at 10 AM, I am standing at the rally point waiting for the other two. Off in the distance, I hear this "sizzle" noise. It quickly becomes an overhead ROAR that scares the bejeezus out of me. I look up, but see nothing. Standing there bewildered, I hear another approaching "sizzle" noise. I look straight up and realize there is a fighter jet flying low overhead, just above the trees.

I text my wife, "Fighter jets? Boy they sure take gun season up here seriously..." She replies, "*** was that all about? Is North Korea invading?" We all finally meet up and joke about needing new underwear. I put my wife in a stand that I had hung a few weeks earlier, and my buddy and I start walking through a small thicket for her. I don't think we had made it 50 yards into the thicket when we heard a gunshot at the other end. I jokingly text my wife, "How big is he?" assuming she had shot a doe. She replies, "9 point I think. He's down." WHAT???

My buddy and I hustle to the other end and find her standing over one of the biggest deer I have ever laid eyes on. I think my exact words were, "Holy %%%% you shot a %%%%%%%% mule deer!" (We don't have mulies in my state)

High fives, pictures, tag, dressed, about to start the long 2 mile drag back to the truck. Wait a minute, where did you shoot him? "I aimed for the shoulder," she says. No hole. Hmm...? Anyway, we start dragging this giant SOB out, my buddy bumps into a sapling, drops his drag handle and starts yelling in pain. WTH is going on? Turns out, he has a trick shoulder and dislocated it pulling and bumping into the tree. My wife and I are standing there, not sure whether to be legitimately concerned or making fun of him while he tries to pop it back in himself. (Because what are friends for, after all?)

Shoulder back in place, we continue the first 100 yards of a 2 mile drag. Buddy and I are struggling to pull the deer, wife is struggling to carry 2 orange coats and 3 rifles. 3 hours later, we finally make it back to the truck, and everyone is gassed.

Back to the shot; where she she hit him? A more thorough CSI investigation revealed a tiny hole in the back of the head. As best as we can guess, she hit a limb and the bullet deflected/tumbled and hit the buck in the head. How did we come to this conclusion? Because we did a DIY Euro mount a week later and when we used the garden hose to remove the brain matter, the bullet was still inside, rattling around like the marble in a spray paint can. No normal expansion/mushrooming, just a couple of dents. She's the luckiest hunter I know...

When we boiled the skull, part of the back came off, so we decided to mount him to some driftwood. Here he is, "Steve the Giant."

Fighter jets, giant bucks, and dislocated shoulders... Why do we hunt? For the stories - the meat is just an added bonus... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Steve.png

Last edited:
Back