• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Figure 8 Dangerous

1simplemann

SH Member
I saw in another thread a link that described the figure 8 knot as dangerous. Apparently it was used to join 2 ropes together and has capsized several times in climbing situations. I did some research and there have been some fatalities. Rather eye opening for me since I use it for my loop on my tether and use it in other applications. I couldn't find anything about using it for loop. What say you all?

The figure eight on a bight is safe and forms a loop. The flat figure eight is called, I believe, the death knot. They are loaded differently.
1606147371607.png

I saw in another thread a link that described the figure 8 knot as dangerous. Apparently it was used to join 2 ropes together and has capsized several times in climbing situations. I did some research and there have been some fatalities. Rather eye opening for me since I use it for my loop on my tether and use it in other applications. I couldn't find anything about using it for loop. What say you all?
That's a different (and incorrect) use.

https://northeastalpinestart.com/2016/09/27/one-of-these-knots-can-kill-you/ was probably the link.

Fig-8 is super stable and secure when loaded "along the 8". It's prone to collapse if you load on one side of the 8. This is a flat figure 8 bend.

The figure eight on a bight is safe and forms a loop. The flat figure eight is called, I believe, the death knot. They are loaded differently.
That's a confusing article...A flat figure 8 isn't an EDK... And the article itself says something like "they didn't tie a standard EDK".

It sounds like you’re talking about a figure 8 bend which is used to tie two ends of rope together. This is not the knot that most climbers or saddle hunters use or are referring to when they say figure 8. The figure 8 on a bight is one of the safest knots out there. Please try and clarify when talking about knots. Pictures are also helpful.

a trusted way to connect two rope ends is the double fisherman’s knot.

FIGURE 8 BEND; (bad)
1606147276561.jpeg

FIGURE 8 OFFSET BEND(bad)
1606147414095.jpeg

FIGURE 8 ON A BIGHT(GOOD)

1606147329598.jpeg
DOUBLE FISHERMANS (GOOD)
1606147568090.jpeg

I have a question for the figure 8 experts here.....what if you made your first "8" then looped in around your bridge loops and traced the figure 8 back through the knot.

I have a question for the figure 8 experts here.....what if you made your first "8" then looped in around your bridge loops and traced the figure 8 back through the knot.
I've seen that referred to as the "Figure 8 Follow thru" the end result is the same as the figure 8 on a bight but allows you to tie it around an existing structure/web. It is safe also as long as you leave sufficient tag end (this goes for the Figure 8 on a bight as well).

Not sure understand the question. This is a pretty common way for rock climbers to tie into their harness and as long as tied correctly, is very safe.

Figure eight follow through. Rock climbers use it to tie to their harness.
Not sure understand the question. This is a pretty common way for rock climbers to tie into their harness and as long as tied correctly, is very safe.
I've seen that referred to as the "Figure 8 Follow thru" the end result is the same as the figure 8 on a bight but allows you to tie it around an existing structure/web. It is safe also as long as you leave sufficient tag end (this goes for the Figure 8 on a bight as well).

Thanks for the quick response!!

It's all in how the knot is loaded. You need to load a figure 8 ALONG the 8, not just on one side of it.

(some testing of flat-8 vs "standard" EDK/flat overhand) https://user.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing/EDK.html

That was the way my bridge was tied on my kestrel, it has held 290lbs for the last 4 years.

Excellent and highly recommended attachment method. As mentioned it is the main method taught for tying in to a harness.

It sounds like you’re talking about a figure 8 bend which is used to tie two ends of rope together. This is not the knot that most climbers or saddle hunters use or are referring to when they say figure 8. The figure 8 on a bight is one of the safest knots out there. Please try and clarify when talking about knots. Pictures are also helpful.

a trusted way to connect two rope ends is the double fisherman’s knot.

FIGURE 8 BEND; (bad)
View attachment 39961

FIGURE 8 OFFSET BEND(bad)
View attachment 39964

FIGURE 8 ON A BIGHT(GOOD)

View attachment 39962
DOUBLE FISHERMANS (GOOD)
View attachment 39965
My bad for not saying which type of figure 8. I didn't know the names. Anyway, it looks like you guys found the article I was reading. I kinda figured that using a figure 8 on bight was totally safe. I've been using it for years but never trusting my life with it. I saw that article and it Kinda made me leary there for bit!

Back