• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finally got my Climbright Spurs set up!

Sequoia

I was using the climbright spurs with the L-pads that came on them and it took way too long to tighten down all the straps and once I did tighten them down, it was not very comfortable.

Yesterday I put the lightweight pads on (the blue ones) and added a two inch webbing buckle up top and a 1 inch buckle as the foot strap (as prescribed on here). They are now MONEY. Easy/fast to put on and to me, very comfortable.

I found that leaning back on the lineman belt helps instead of staying in close to the tree.

I'll try to post pics later this weekend. Any other mods you guys recommend?

I’m just finishing up my spur mods. I have the aluminum pads though. I’ll post pictures too. I want to see yours too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have the leather T pads and I mod’d with 1.5 inch webbing on top and 1 inch on the bottom. BUT my buddy is a linesman in the union and watched me climb and said this was extremely dangerous! His issue was the bottom 1 inch plastic buckle. It wasn’t keeping the bottom of the spur tight inside my heel and my foot was going to come out eventually. Also the plastic buckle wasn’t strong enough.

He strongly encouraged me to go back to the leather strap for the bottom hook up but that is a major pain in the neck to get right as the OP stated. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. I’m considering trying the leather on one side and the paracord wrap on the other to see which I like.

I have Klein spurs and replaced the top strap with a 1.5" nylon web with metal cobra buckle. It was actually a belt I bought and cut shorter. For the bottom strap, I have 1" metal cobra buckles and will use 1" nylon webbing. Waiting on my webbing to show up. I have seen all the plastic side buckle mods but was not comfortable with the safety due to lack of load rating. This is the belt I used for the top strap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077D9BCS6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@predatorhunter , I like that buckle! Definitely looks sturdier than my plastic buckles. I bought some heavy duty ones that were rated for 75lbs deadweight I think.... My line of thinking is that the straps/buckles are not a load bearing system they just need to put up with the pressure of keeping the tang close to your calf which isn't that much. However, SAFER is BETTER and that buckle looks a lot sturdier.

He strongly encouraged me to go back to the leather strap for the bottom hook up but that is a major pain in the neck to get right as the OP stated. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. I’m considering trying the leather on one side and the paracord wrap on the other to see which I like.

Let me know what you end up doing, I'm curious about that as well.

I wonder, has anyone tried a setup like they use on ski boots for the spurs? where a small wire tooth connects into a hardened plastic groove and the lever is then cammed over to create the tension? that would be an easy, fast, and strong setup

thS98GP57L.jpgJust one such connection for the top/calf strap and one for the bottom/foot strap? Just throwing ideas out there

I have Klein spurs and replaced the top strap with a 1.5" nylon web with metal cobra buckle. It was actually a belt I bought and cut shorter. For the bottom strap, I have 1" metal cobra buckles and will use 1" nylon webbing. Waiting on my webbing to show up. I have seen all the plastic side buckle mods but was not comfortable with the safety due to lack of load rating. This is the belt I used for the top strap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077D9BCS6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the same one on the top. My only complaint is you can’t tighten it easily by pulling on the tag end. I wear the same boots every hunt so I set it to be right on the boots and that way I don’t have to tighten it but it makes clipping in a bit tough.

Climbed a few feet up with them and they seem solid. I put a strap keeper directly behind the 1” buckle to keep the tag ends from having any chance of pulling through

How quite are spurs/spikes if one was to take their time going up a tree compared to say a climbing tree stand? From the few videos I have watched they seem a bit noisy.

Have you watched Flinginairos video on youtube? He demo's how quite it can be, minus his boot squeaking. I have watched this video several times as I am in the process of learning spurs for my go to climbing method this year. So far, I really like this method. I am currently using a treesqueeze with my linesman belt for safety.

Have you watched Flinginairos video on youtube? He demo's how quite it can be, minus his boot squeaking. I have watched this video several times as I am in the process of learning spurs for my go to climbing method this year. So far, I really like this method. I am currently using a treesqueeze with my linesman belt for safety.
I was literally posting the same video. You beat me to the punch!

Wow that is quite. Thanks for the vid!

flingingairos spikes kind of squeaked in his video and I think me mentions that was just his boots. I've found that they are super quiet when you go slow.... and going slow is still faster than sticks or WE steps. The only part I haven't tried yet is using the double lineman to get over branches.

Back