• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fired up this year

Scoutman

I'm so fired up this year about September elk hunting. Last year, I wasn't at my best and missed a opportunity at a 340+ bull, then passed 2 raghorns and a cow within 20 yards. I moved to Texas and had been walking 5-6 miles with a pack after work in 95+ heat, but it did not replace hills that I had in Ga. So my usual preparation was not done. This spring, I've had combined wrist and hand surgery, so in therapy now. Hope to be shooting bow, by mid June. I bought a max trainer type machine that simulates hiking mountains and have been using that instead of walking flat ground. So the elk are gonna be in trouble in September.

I've hunted them in Colorado and Montana, guided and un-guided. I've yet to get one on the ground. I stuck a good one on my last trip to MT, but I never found him. Good luck!

Went to Colorado 2 years ago OTC with some friends. It was DIY but they had been going out there for years and knew some good spots. Those mountians aint no joke, I thought I was gonna die that first evening. I told the guys I was with a deer and a hog might have to worry about me but these elk sure as hell don't! Its hard to get in shape for those mountains, but if you make your mind up you're gonna get wherever it is your going you've won half the battle. I'll get back out there one day. Its actually one of the reasons I bought a saddle, those elk aren't used to looking up for danger and I'm not lugging a lock on and sticks around those mountains. A saddle is perfect!

Good luck on your recovery and your hunt this year!

Thank you, I'll be fine I'm sure. We hunt over water alot out there, so a saddle works great in those situations when calling is slow.

Truth be told, I'm an elk hunter. If I lived out west, I'd have so many pre sets in the woods it would make your head spin. I plan on carrying a saddle with me this year and probably a set of spurs. We rifle hunt post rut, so calling isn't as good, but water is still very good.

More to come this fall. I may have a very cool saddle elk picture for you guys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Truth be told, I'm an elk hunter. If I lived out west, I'd have so many pre sets in the woods it would make your head spin. I plan on carrying a saddle with me this year and probably a set of spurs. We rifle hunt post rut, so calling isn't as good, but water is still very good.

More to come this fall. I may have a very cool saddle elk picture for you guys

Ernie - what are your spurs of choice? I’ll check messages to see if you have already told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernie - what are your spurs of choice? I’ll check messages to see if you have already told me.

Found it! U mentioned Climb Rites!!

You guys are real men, carrying gaffs on elk hunt. We usually have 1/2 in our pack the second day than we did the first! We usually climb limbs or have it setup already.

You guys are real men, carrying gaffs on elk hunt. We usually have 1/2 in our pack the second day than we did the first! We usually climb limbs or have it setup already.
Well this won't be back pack hunt. We hike out each day from a truck camp. It can still be a lot of miles, but at least I'm not carrying my camp each day.

You need to look up the group purchase that G2 is setting up. IMHO

LOL to quote your name - I’m there! G2 already has something fun to share that I sent him last nite. Exciting and REALLY fun times ahead!

LOL to quote your name - I’m there! G2 already has something fun to share that I sent him last nite. Exciting and REALLY fun times ahead!

You rock! Thanks again for the help!

Awesome!

Back