• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First aid supplies

There's a bunch of threads on this in the past so I'll be brief but please give your first aid the same consideration and practice you do your bow. By that I mean don't just go buy a tourniquet and a Sam splint and throw them in a bag and assume you're good. You need to know how to use them correctly, and one day of reading instructions/ watching videos (and practicing, like with one hand (because the other is "injured" etc!) will make you much more ready if you did ever have an injury in the field.

Soapbox done, I also would suggest NOT buying one of the premade first aid kits you see in big box stores and online. They are usually filled with a lot of stuff that you will not ever actually need.

Get a good pair of trauma shears (safer and easier than a knife for cutting off clothes in awkward positions), some steri strips, super glue, some sterile gauze, and a roll of medical tape (the white fabric kind, not the semi-transparent white paper variety). That should be good to deal with any bleeding etc or used with a stick(or an arrow) to immobilize a broken extremity. I know how to suture, likely wouldn't ever attempt it in the field, just pack the wound, tape for compression and get to the car.

Realistically your cell phone or hunting with a partner/making sure people know where you are if you don't come home on time are your front line "first aid".

I guess my soapbox wasn't done and so much for being brief sheesh lol but there's my opinion.

I edc a RATs tourniquet. Any tourniquet snobs out there are probably typing some angry comment right now but fact is it’s easier to carry and it works on kids….

ANYWAYS. In my opinion (which is worth less than you paid for it), I think if you want a balance between utility, practicality, and ultra tree ninja saddle hunter minimalism, you should carry a tourniquet, ziploc bag with band-aids and small tube of crazy glue, a few hot hands, and a fire starter kit. (Freezing to death is no bueno). I’ve got a fire kit I “invented” that weighs an ounce and burns for 20 minutes…. So I just throw these 2 in the bottom of the pack and my tourniquet stays on me always.

Good info about the subject here. His kits cost a bit of jack though.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

33cca7884704f38d2786935ea144262d.jpg

Little blow out/med kit I put together. I bought everything separately from wherever I could find a good deal. Bag is from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33cca7884704f38d2786935ea144262d.jpg

Little blow out/med kit I put together. I bought everything separately from wherever I could find a good deal. Bag is from Amazon.

I'd like to talk more about this, super into trauma medicine. Maybe new thread?

I edc a RATs tourniquet. Any tourniquet snobs out there are probably typing some angry comment right now but fact is it’s easier to carry and it works on kids….

ANYWAYS. In my opinion (which is worth less than you paid for it), I think if you want a balance between utility, practicality, and ultra tree ninja saddle hunter minimalism, you should carry a tourniquet, ziploc bag with band-aids and small tube of crazy glue, a few hot hands, and a fire starter kit. (Freezing to death is no bueno). I’ve got a fire kit I “invented” that weighs an ounce and burns for 20 minutes…. So I just throw these 2 in the bottom of the pack and my tourniquet stays on me always.

I use cotton makeup remover pads soaked in tiki torch oil and dipped in melted wax. Less mess than petroleum jelly and will burn wet.

I failed to mention I also carry a pack of Celox-A for severe bleeding . I know some would say damn they carry to much but I’d rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it . I carry the same tourniquet posted above . Basically the same pack but without the stethoscope

I generally will have duct tape, super glue, a little gauze and little ziplock with 4-6 each of ibuprofen aleve, and benadryl. Always have a couple means of making fire too.

I generally will have duct tape, super glue, a little gauze and little ziplock with 4-6 each of ibuprofen aleve, and benadryl. Always have a couple means of making fire too.
Oh forgot to mention I always carry a few loperamide. That’s the only thing I can’t risk in the woods…..

I'd like to talk more about this, super into trauma medicine. Maybe new thread?
Are you a healthcare professional? I don't think that most of us on here have any business carrying around a stethoscope in the woods (meaning people reading your post shouldn't all go out and buy a littmann), but otherwise from what I can see it looks like a decent kit.

Edit: whoops quoted the wrong post that was meant for @Ckwilli

Are you a healthcare professional? I don't think that most of us on here have any business carrying around a stethoscope in the woods (meaning people reading your post shouldn't all go out and buy a littmann), but otherwise from what I can see it looks like a decent kit.

Edit: whoops quoted the wrong post that was meant for @Ckwilli
Are you a veterinarian? That is a veterinarian model of stethoscope...

Back