• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Buck

michigander

If you checked out my thread in the unsuccessful section you’ll know that I haven’t started hunting from a saddle yet as I’m still waiting on my mantis, but I like you guys so figured I’d share. Tonight everything came together and I shot my first buck ever.

At about 4:45 this evening I had two does working behind me at about 80 yards. I spun their direction with my rifle, but by the time I got the gun up they had moved through the only shooting lane I had over there. I was feeling a bit discouraged, but I knew more deer were working around this area so I stayed positive.

About 5:30 I saw a big body working out of the brush in front of me and slightly to the right. Then I saw antlers. I got the gun ready and picked out a few shooting lanes in that direction and just waited. I didn’t pay much attention to antler size and just focused on making a good shot. I actually told my dad on the phone he wasn’t a giant, but just a “good buck”.

When I got to the end of the blood trail I called my dad back and said he’s a lot bigger than I thought and I’m gonna need some help. 12 point frame with extra brow tines totaling 14 points if you count em all up. Possibly the biggest buck I’ll ever shoot and just happened to be my first.

f91c35dfb75ec2766bd0745acfb48f8c.jpg

579dd0cbb80859b58ab37c284370be49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Tapatalk messed up on me and I thought it didn’t post, if a mod could delete one of these I would appreciate it

Congratulations!

Are you in EST there in Michigan? 5:30 hunting is a dream this time of year here im Vermont. We go half hour after sunset and yesterday that was 4:46.

After the DST discussion earlier this month I was starting to develop a theory that hunting in more westerly portions of time zones is better. At least in terms of after work hunting. Same full day daylight of course just at different times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congratulations!

Are you in EST there in Michigan? 5:30 hunting is a dream this time of year here im Vermont. We go half hour after sunset and yesterday that was 4:46.

After the DST discussion earlier this month I was starting to develop a theory that hunting in more westerly portions of time zones is better. At least in terms of after work hunting. Same full day daylight of course just at different times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes, Michigan is on EST.

Yes, Michigan is on EST.

Yea, shooting time ended at 5:47 last night if I believe. I still miss that extra hour of hunting in the evening, but I guess it could be worse.

Thanks everybody for the congrats. Still have to achieve my other goal for the season of getting by first deer with a bow, but the first buck goal is down and I couldn't be happier right now.

If you checked out my thread in the unsuccessful section you’ll know that I haven’t started hunting from a saddle yet as I’m still waiting on my mantis, but I like you guys so figured I’d share. Tonight everything came together and I shot my first buck ever.

At about 4:45 this evening I had two does working behind me at about 80 yards. I spun their direction with my rifle, but by the time I got the gun up they had moved through the only shooting lane I had over there. I was feeling a bit discouraged, but I knew more deer were working around this area so I stayed positive.

About 5:30 I saw a big body working out of the brush in front of me and slightly to the right. Then I saw antlers. I got the gun ready and picked out a few shooting lanes in that direction and just waited. I didn’t pay much attention to antler size and just focused on making a good shot. I actually told my dad on the phone he wasn’t a giant, but just a “good buck”.

When I got to the end of the blood trail I called my dad back and said he’s a lot bigger than I thought and I’m gonna need some help. 12 point frame with extra brow tines totaling 14 points if you count em all up. Possibly the biggest buck I’ll ever shoot and just happened to be my first.

Congrats man you set the bar pretty high on this one. Well done my friend

Great job! That’s a trophy worth mounting on the wall. Congratulations!

Back