• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Deer From My Saddle

Kelbrook

I’ve been stalking everybody’s posts on this site for the last several months. I think I’ve watched every single saddle hunting YouTube video be it a DIY saddle build, platforms, pack dumps or just hunts from a saddle. I’ve been more pumped up than my blood pressure in Atlanta traffic!

I got my saddle on Christmas Eve and scored on some Gecko spurs in great condition for $80. I climbed the oak in my backyard to about 10’ countless times over the next several days and sat for a while each time just to get used to it. I really didn’t think I needed to go higher than that just to practice. I was a pro on my backyard tree.

This past Sunday afternoon I finally got to get out for a hunt on a small piece of private property about 5 minutes down the road from my house. I was ready.........or so I thought. It was 1:45 and I was about 8’ off of the ground. I‘m thinking it was a combination of the tree being a little bigger, wearing my warm weather clothes, wearing my backpack and other gear up and just being nervous that this was not my backyard tree. I would compare my first climb to hunting height to someone trying to drive a zero turn lawn mower for the first time. I was all over that tree. I’m sure it would have been hilarious to watch. I will say that I now have full confidence that I will not fall out of this saddle. Finally I reached about 25. I set 2 wild edge steps for a platform, surprisingly easily considering, and set all my gear for the hunt.

Once set I was super comfortable even with the small steps as my platform. My backpack was hanging from my DIY gear strap on the right side of the tree. My Remington Model 7 .260 on an easy hanger screwed in at the perfect level to rest for a shot on the left side of the tree. I did not take my spurs off. I thought about it, but figured I’d had enough fighting for one hunt.

I had already told myself that if a big doe came by I would take it. My family of 5 goes through 4 or 5 deer a year and a good doe would hit our meat goal for this year.

Right at 5pm I heard squirrels barking over the ridge and readied myself just in case. A few minutes later a really big doe came over the ridge walking right down the trail she was supposed too. I set the rifle on my easy hanger gun rest and when she cleared the big white oak at about 40 yards I touched off the trigger. She kicked and ran up the ridge to my right and fell in the trail I walk in on at the edge of the field. I guess the good lord figured I’d had enough fighting for one hunt too.

I was Atlanta traffic pumped again as I am with any deer I take, but this one was from a saddle! Not only was it just a cool new experience, but now I could justify this new obsession to my wife

I eventually gained my composure. I gathered my gear and climbed down the tree with little effort. I guess I got enough practice on the way up. I walked up to my deer and thanked her for the hunt and what she’d give my family. Walked to my truck and drove right up to her. This hunt was front loaded with pain and suffering so loading her felt easy.

.......I just realized how long winded this story has gotten

I know that with practice and many more hunts ahead of me I will get better at climbing, but this first hunt from a saddle was a lesson in many of the things to not do.

Thanks for all the helpful posts y’all make. I look forward to reading more.

I’ve been stalking everybody’s posts on this site for the last several months. I think I’ve watched every single saddle hunting YouTube video be it a DIY saddle build, platforms, pack dumps or just hunts from a saddle. I’ve been more pumped up than my blood pressure in Atlanta traffic!

I got my saddle on Christmas Eve and scored on some Gecko spurs in great condition for $80. I climbed the oak in my backyard to about 10’ countless times over the next several days and sat for a while each time just to get used to it. I really didn’t think I needed to go higher than that just to practice. I was a pro on my backyard tree.

This past Sunday afternoon I finally got to get out for a hunt on a small piece of private property about 5 minutes down the road from my house. I was ready.........or so I thought. It was 1:45 and I was about 8’ off of the ground. I‘m thinking it was a combination of the tree being a little bigger, wearing my warm weather clothes, wearing my backpack and other gear up and just being nervous that this was not my backyard tree. I would compare my first climb to hunting height to someone trying to drive a zero turn lawn mower for the first time. I was all over that tree. I’m sure it would have been hilarious to watch. I will say that I now have full confidence that I will not fall out of this saddle. Finally I reached about 25. I set 2 wild edge steps for a platform, surprisingly easily considering, and set all my gear for the hunt.

Once set I was super comfortable even with the small steps as my platform. My backpack was hanging from my DIY gear strap on the right side of the tree. My Remington Model 7 .260 on an easy hanger screwed in at the perfect level to rest for a shot on the left side of the tree. I did not take my spurs off. I thought about it, but figured I’d had enough fighting for one hunt.

I had already told myself that if a big doe came by I would take it. My family of 5 goes through 4 or 5 deer a year and a good doe would hit our meat goal for this year.

Right at 5pm I heard squirrels barking over the ridge and readied myself just in case. A few minutes later a really big doe came over the ridge walking right down the trail she was supposed too. I set the rifle on my easy hanger gun rest and when she cleared the big white oak at about 40 yards I touched off the trigger. She kicked and ran up the ridge to my right and fell in the trail I walk in on at the edge of the field. I guess the good lord figured I’d had enough fighting for one hunt too.

I was Atlanta traffic pumped again as I am with any deer I take, but this one was from a saddle! Not only was it just a cool new experience, but now I could justify this new obsession to my wife

I eventually gained my composure. I gathered my gear and climbed down the tree with little effort. I guess I got enough practice on the way up. I walked up to my deer and thanked her for the hunt and what she’d give my family. Walked to my truck and drove right up to her. This hunt was front loaded with pain and suffering so loading her felt easy.

.......I just realized how long winded this story has gotten

I know that with practice and many more hunts ahead of me I will get better at climbing, but this first hunt from a saddle was a lesson in many of the things to not do.

Thanks for all the helpful posts y’all make. I look forward to reading more.

This is really cool and congratulations! I always wondered about spurs, but how did they do on the tree? As many times as I change trees over the course of the season I didn’t want to leave a lot of marks on them or leave them susceptible to bacteria or insects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really cool and congratulations! I always wondered about spurs, but how did they do on the tree? As many times as I change trees over the course of the season I didn’t want to leave a lot of marks on them or leave them susceptible to bacteria or insects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!
It really wasn’t bad. My climbers definitely cause a lot more damage than the spikes. It was a good sized Poplar tree and the gaffs didn’t even make it into the Cambium of the tree. I imagine that just like a climber, if you use the same tree over and over in the same hunting season it could cause some damage.

Congratulations for the new obsession and welcome to the rabbit hole!!! But seriously good job keep feeding the family!!!

Congrats! Even when everything doesn't seem to go perfectly, being in the woods alone is perfect enough in itself. Taking home a deer always adds to the adventure and the memories. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back