• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First deer from saddle

slonstdy

SH Member
Hunting from a tree on a shelf along hillside and known bedding areas within 150yds. Had a couple of doe come in this morning around 7:15 in heavy fog and only spotted them 30yds out but didn't have a clear lane with all the brush and small trees around me. They walked on my strong side 9 o'clock thru the brush to my 6'o'clock and fed on acorns and hickory nuts at 15yds for about 30 mins all the while under the protective canopy of small trees . The wind picked up and one must have gotten a whiff of me because she got all serious like and did the foot stomp every minute or so while ears and head locked in my direction but thankfully not up towards me. They moved off and that was it for the morning. I went back to the house for lunch about 12:30.

Jumped back in same tree for the evening and got settled in by 5:15. At 6:00 three doe walk up the hill 60yds out and follow the same path the deer from the morning took. The first two walked thru the brush feeding and the third decided to take a slightly different path which led her directly behind me at 10yds. I drew as she was behind the last sapling and once she cleared the canopy I put the "Rage in the cage". It was a perfect double lung hit, high on my side and low exit. She bolted up the steep hillside like nothing happened but I know it was a good shot and started to pack my stuff.

Now here's the funny part. A few minutes later my phone vibrates and it's my son calling me from the house to tell me he was shooting at his lacrosse net in the front yard and saw a deer run into a few trees and fall down the hillside! " I think it's hurt" he said. I busted out laughing and told him that deer fell because I had just put an arrow thru it!

But the kicker of this story is that I used to hunt from a treestand in that same tree and only because I was in a saddle was I able to take the shot. The tree is about 16" diameter at that height and all I could have done from my LW Assault is lean over and watch them go by. So out of five saddles I own the Tactisaddle was the first to bring home the backstraps four days into the season!

Attachments

• doe 2019.jpg
    doe 2019.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 56
Thanks. Yeah she made it easy running towards the house, dragged her straight down the hill 60yds to my sugar shack/butcher shop.

Back