• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First DIY saddle.

onestringer

SH Member
Looking at these pictures I am quite pleased with my first completed saddle. That’s where it ends. This thing is extremely uncomfortable it makes the mantis feel like a lazy boy recliner. Any suggestions from you folks who know what they are doing. I was going for a cruzr/phantom love child.

39721b23bb4615f0ad011a007b253800.jpg

ad23f79b5f0160f4b34f8e985e662dae.jpg

a6e761b0461303cab235b69819541744.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the pleat is too big and the mesh stretches too much. I am going to try and see a pleat closed and see how that works. It’s like I am just sitting on two pieces of seat belt webbing.

Did you measure and base the dimensions off of the cruzr/phantom? Looks pretty nice to me.

Ahh. Maybe too much fabric and its not cupping your butt

I think the pleat is too big and the mesh stretches too much. I am going to try and see a pleat closed and see how that works. It’s like I am just sitting on two pieces of seat belt webbing.

One of my most comfortable saddles is just seatbelt webbing you could try adding two small pieces of webbing from the front strap to the back strap right where you sit and that could help!

Maybe you need stiffer mesh. If it is too stretchy all the pressure will be across the 2 inch strap risking cutting off circulation in your legs. I like an 8 inch wide sling seat so I sewed one myself. It doesn't look like a commercial saddle but is very comfortable.

sewed up the pleat still very uncomfortable. Moving on to other designs.

I just finished some final touches on my own "sitdragmantis" Mashup and I had similar yet opposite issue. I felt a little too much support in the middle seat portion. I feel this is because the sitdrag is too small of a footprint for my rump.

But I did a "long" sit in my yard with my rock climbing harness and that made a huge difference in comfort level. I think the padding in the harness and its width helped add more support to my lower back and off my cheeks, even with my weight supported entirely by the saddle.

Have you tried your setup with all your expected clothing, even in the coldest gear. Maybe that extra padding in your trousers and other layers will give you that support you are looking for.

Looks like you used the grey or light tan mesh. Both of those are very flimsy. I would suggest sewing a piece of 2 inch webbing diagonally on either side, starting 3 inches from center bottom to around 8" from center top.

Additionally, you can sew straight stitches vertically on the seat, the full distance, every 3 or 4 inches to reduce the material stretch.

Coyote and black are the stiffer webbing. I dont know why.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Keep it up, I think the diagonal webbing will help as mentioned above. Your work looks good though man. I'm a big dude so it took me a minute to get the comfort i was seeking. Nice job.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

Keep it up, I think the diagonal webbing will help as mentioned above. Your work looks good though man. I'm a big dude so it took me a minute to get the comfort i was seeking. Nice job.

Oh I am not done. I finished a kestrel clone that is only 68% as comfortable as my real kestrel. Today I am gonna start another saddle version 5.0. I am just having fun trying my hand.

Oh I am not done. I finished a kestrel clone that is only 68% as comfortable as my real kestrel. Today I am gonna start another saddle version 5.0. I am just having fun trying my hand.
Gotcha, I really enjoy making this stuff. I made my kid and others a saddle and each one I make gets better and i enjoy more than the one before. There are so many different styles and features that one can employ on a saddle. It's cool to figure it all out.

Looks great man! You’ll get ‘er licked!
I also do some of my best work on the ping pong table!

sewed up the pleat still very uncomfortable. Moving on to other designs.

Be more specific, what makes it uncomfortable?

If I had to guess the material isn't stiff enough(mentioned above) and its not holding any weight, putting all your weight on a 2" strap right below your butt.

Be more specific, what makes it uncomfortable?

If I had to guess the material isn't stiff enough(mentioned above) and its not holding any weight, putting all your weight on a 2" strap right below your butt.
If I had to guess the seat is too big and the mesh stretches too much. Leaving the webbing supporting my weight.

Hey i just saw your photo in passing and make sure you swap out those aluminum g-hooks for some ITW steel ones because the aluminum ones with come look and even bend, I learned the hard way!

Back