• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Everything

SouthernTierHunter

To keep things relatively brief I had so many firsts happen on MD's Archery Opener on 9/7

1st Buck
1st Velvet Buck
1st Saddle Hunt
1st Animal with a Bow
1st Animal from an Elevated Position
1st Animal from a Saddle
1st Sika
1st Hunt in another sate
1st Hunt in Maryland (Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge)

I drove 6 hours down with absolutely no where to stay other than in my truck in the Wal-Mart parking lot. I showed up at the visitor center to ensure that I had all the regulations figured out. While talking to the park ranger he recommended I speak with Allen Johnston, the Hunting Coordinator.

I was directed to a little back office where a super cool older gentleman proceeded to hook me up with a good spot to go. When I got to the spot to scout it out a little I met a fellow Sika hunter at the trail head. Doug gave me some pointers on where I should focus my efforts. "It's not going to be easy." he said. He had been hunting them for several years and has yet to kill one.

I decided to hunt the evening and went crabbing during the middle of the day.

I got to the trail head at 2PM and slowly walked the 3/4 mile along a ditch to the woods I planned to hunt. You could see mini deer trails coming out of the marsh heading to a cornfield. There were several great looking trails I would have liked to set up on but there were no trees to set up in. I came to a particularly small trail, but there was a PERFECT tree, so I decided to set up there. This tree and most of the trees there were impossible to set a stand in, so the saddle strikes again!

I sat there all day getting destroyed by bugs and seeing almost nothing, other than a fox hunting mice in a field. BTW saddle shape is a real thing, I was hurting during that first hang. In MD you can hunt 1/2 and hour after sunset and as soon as the sunset I could hear stuff moving brush in the swamp beyond me. I could hear a deer right in front of me, I dare not smack any of the 200 mosquitos bitting me. The head of the dear came into my shooting land and I could see it was a buck. With the next step he took he was all the way in my land at 5 yards away. Just then he smelled my hat that fell off during my climb. I new had to make a move soon. He put his head down to fake feed, then popped it up. When he went down the next time I drew back, aimed low behind the shoulder and let her rip! Thwack, a mule kick and he peeled off. He made an arching loop back to the cover. I heard crashing, moaning and a gurgling death rattle that brought the whole thing to a beautiful end.

The slick trick double lunged him and embedded in the ground. He made it less than 50 yards and died in about 30 sec. I field dressed and tagged him, got him in to cooler and headed home to NY smiling ear to ear.

Buck Pic
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1gK-qQem4nyWUJYQTh4cndUM0UxcDJ5ZmhJeWhBZlAtRHdZ

Buck Pic
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZOOsacxPTGZawV67Iek2FeF9jLIcC3-t

Kill Shot
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F6T8Ia8Wa4uXA6P9cBycC3vTjE2eSD8Q

My Rig
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FbhH5iWT4aJTuNqU_HEC3hXbFhCETCAl

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_162231538.jpg
    IMG_20180907_162231538.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 98
Congrats! A lot of firsts on a out of state diy hunt had to be a great feeling! Well done and thanks for the story!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Congrats! I’m heading down in October for SikaPolooza but I’m concerned about the mosquitoes. Bugs love me. Were you running a thermacell and still getting bitten up?

Hahahaha welllll ...I had a Thermacell, but never actually turned it on. The mosquitos come out right about the time the deer do, so I didn't dare swat at them. I have literally a 100 bites on me but oh well I heard venison is a good cure.
Nice! Congrats! I’m heading down in October for SikaPolooza but I’m concerned about the mosquitoes. Bugs love me. Were you running a thermacell and still getting bitten up?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Back