• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First fall in many years of hunting...

Stuck on state land

Been hunting hang on stands,blinds and ladder stands for years... third day in a saddle (well besides lots of practice in yard) and learned a important life or death lesson about knots... 30ft up in a tree and my bridge knot (well the prussic loop knot) came undone... scary stuff, so LUCKY I was able to grab a branch and found myself hanging 6' away from trunk and 25' up... somehow managed to shimmy back close enough to sticks to get a foothold.. then after cleaning my britches and hugging the tree till sundown, I hit up YouTube and learned about closed loop prussic rope.. thanks NY saddlehunter... you felt like I got hit by a train.. today(Monday) (fell Saturday after work hunting last light) I was back in the saddle again!!(Aerosmith ) even with no prussic and a brand new 10mm bridge I never unhooked my linemans belt nor felt real comfortable at least untill I watched the lucky little spike horn buck pass (again like the third time) then got excited again... MORAL of the story? CHECK YOUR KNOTS.. check your equipment regularly!! I checked my knots every 30seconds today.. I got lucky, not everybody does... wether news or complacent pro PLEASE be SAFE... thanks
Rick P

Get a Ropeman 1... glad you didn't fall bro

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
I have 2 ropeman ascenders... one on L/B and one on tether... lol bought out all they had.. now the bridge is tied in on both ends,and have a shorty and a longer one both tied in... Thanks,fell 5ft before landing on ribs and managed to catch branch in armpit.. a bit sore but learned an important lesson.. at least my latitude/longitude for spot(s) is in HuntStand so if I don't return home wife can send help..

Can you elaborate on the knot that came loose? Was it the knot that attaches your bridge to the saddle, or your bridge to the tether?

I'm glad you caught yourself. That's a very close call and a great reminder to the rest of us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate on the knot that came loose? Was it the knot that attaches your bridge to the saddle, or your bridge to the tether?

I'm glad you caught yourself. That's a very close call and a great reminder to the rest of us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I had a prussic on my bridge for adjustment and my prussic knot came undone.. now I have a fixed loop prussic but instead made two separate bridges with endloops and biners to attach to saddle... not too trusting in knots at this moment.. a bit sore from falling 5' but alive to talk about it... thanks bro!!

I second that question. How did the Prussic come undone? Do you mean it literally unraveled from around the tether?
That is scary...
I had a self tied prussic on bridge.. note HAD... lol after the fall I learned about fixed loops , using that method now and not on bridge I now have a long one and a short one with tight loop on ends and biners.. lol that was the last prussic on my setup and only my secondary linemans belt has one now.. hate being unattached to tree going around branches so as a backup I will use that one.. a bit more weight but safety first..

I'd been thinking of adding a secondary prussic and carbiner to my tether on the slack but it would be just another prussic/carbinter attached to my bridge. Is it possible to buy a pre-made fixed loop prussic that I can trust rather than try to tie my own?

I'd been thinking of adding a secondary prussic and carbiner to my tether on the slack but it would be just another prussic/carbinter attached to my bridge. Is it possible to buy a pre-made fixed loop prussic that I can trust rather than try to tie my own?
This is what I use. Not sure if this is what your looking for or not.

Do you mind saying what knot you used to make your prussiks loop? Should be a double fisherman's and NOT an overhand knot. I've noticed that most commercially purchased prussiks are actually tied on the ends with a overhand....which is not a life safety, reliable knot in that instance, ESPECIALLY if your carabiner is loaded against said knot. It should always be offset and the knot should not be on the main line, either.

Do you mind saying what knot you used to make your prussiks loop? Should be a double fisherman's and NOT an overhand knot. I've noticed that most commercially purchased prussiks are actually tied on the ends with a overhand....which is not a life safety, reliable knot in that instance, ESPECIALLY if your carabiner is loaded against said knot. It should always be offset and the knot should not be on the main line, either.
It was tied at end with carabiner loading knot... was all wrong, that was the last prussic in my rig. It's gone now got a closed loop 10mm but it is on my secondary linemans belt which is 11.5mm rope.. only used as a holder while going over branches.. my bridges are now 11.5mm 24strand like my climbing rope and the ends are closed loops with carabiners as well..

Scott from NYsaddlehunters said he uses 10mm closed loops from wespurs

Back