• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First lite kits

CamoMan

Everyone that is using first lite what is your current kit? Im looking to get more cold weather gear in the future but just curious to how everyone is layering. I’m in SE MN and my current first lite gear is:

Uppers: Wick LS, Furnace quarter zip, Klamath quarter zip, and corrugate guide jacket, mid weight neck gaiter

Lower: Fuse, furnace, obsidian

I have the Woodbury and sanctuary bibs and it’s really warm. I wouldn’t wear it above freezing weather. The Woodbury might be good slightly above freezing. I absolutely love that jacket. I’ve been thinking about selling my sanctuary bibs just because it doesn’t get warm enough here in arkansas

Lower: furnace, catalyst, sanctuary

Upper: klamath, sanctuary

The sanctuary is pretty nice stuff. I really like the bibs. The jacket has their shooters cut so to be completely honest the sleeves are a little thin and they arent completely wind proof. On a cold single didigit MN day you should be good but if its windy eventually you will expierience wind leak. I'm looking at the Brooks down jacket/sweater to put under it.

The solitude also looks great and those bibs would probably keep you just as warm as the sanctuary stuff if you layer right. The kit link pass through would solve the cold arm issue.

The sancuary bibs are a little baggy in the thighs and thinner through the torso, however it doesn't bother me to have a little extra bulk because they seems to trap the heat. The zippers/open legs are amazing. You can dump a ton of heat on your hike in and easily change out boots without taking the bibs off. The design is very well thought out.

All in all, I would buy them again but the thing with first lite is layering. As long as you have a good kit with great base & mid layers you can stay warm and comfortable all year in Minnesota. As you know, all first lite is super comfortable. It's very "stretchy" and doesn't limit your ability as a bow hunter.

I run the Kiln and Furnace tops and bottoms for base layers

Catalyst Soft Shell jacket and bottoms most of the Fall

Sanctuary Bibs and Jacket when it gets in the teens and single digits.

I also run the Sawtooth Hybrid as an outer layer in early season

my next purchase will be the Solitude set as I feel that will fit the weather I hunt here in Missouri better than the Sanctuary. Also going to buy the Corrugate Guide Pant for chasing Spring Gobblers and summer work on the farm.

Lower: furnace, catalyst, sanctuary

Upper: klamath, sanctuary

The sanctuary is pretty nice stuff. I really like the bibs. The jacket has their shooters cut so to be completely honest the sleeves are a little thin and they arent completely wind proof. On a cold single didigit MN day you should be good but if its windy eventually you will expierience wind leak. I'm looking at the Brooks down jacket/sweater to put under it.

The solitude also looks great and those bibs would probably keep you just as warm as the sanctuary stuff if you layer right. The kit link pass through would solve the cold arm issue.

The sancuary bibs are a little baggy in the thighs and thinner through the torso, however it doesn't bother me to have a little extra bulk because they seems to trap the heat. The zippers/open legs are amazing. You can dump a ton of heat on your hike in and easily change out boots without taking the bibs off. The design is very well thought out.

All in all, I would buy them again but the thing with first lite is layering. As long as you have a good kit with great base & mid layers you can stay warm and comfortable all year in Minnesota. As you know, all first lite is super comfortable. It's very "stretchy" and doesn't limit your ability as a bow hunter.
I'm looking at the solitude set as well. I think it will be perfect for late season. I've heard good things about it

My current kit is a single First Lite hat (MeatEater version). With the current low interest rates, I’m planning to refinance my house soon using a cash-out option, which should enable me to add a single glove or maybe a sock to my kit. Stay tuned!
Good thing my other hobbies are cheap!! Because it adds up quick lol

I’ve been using the northbranch system for a few years with merino base layers and fleece mid layers as needed. I really wish the northbranch wasn’t so loud. It’s great gear for wind and water resistance and very tough as well but I think sitka or maybe the merino options from FL would be better suited to hunting from trees.

Good thing my other hobbies are cheap!! Because it adds up quick lol
Kidding aside, I’ll admit that I mightily covet folks with a full First Lite, Sitka, or Kuiu kit. But, having never been on a western elk hunt (hoping to go in 2022) and hunting primarily in Tennessee, it’s awfully tough for me to justify dropping that kind of dough on clothes when the cheaper stuff suffices for my purposes.

I eat tuna every day for lunch and chicken and rice every night for dinner so I can blow money on bows, accessories, tools, and gear that’s overpriced but really nice lol do I need it? No...is it nice to have? Oh yea. Also, no kids and no wife makes it much easier to justify...not that I need to

I eat tuna every day for lunch and chicken and rice every night for dinner so I can blow money on bows, accessories, tools, and gear that’s overpriced but really nice lol do I need it? No...is it nice to have? Oh yea. Also, no kids and no wife makes it much easier to justify...not that I need to
What about ramen for dinner!?

I agree though. I try and save where I can so I get stuff I want. But I have a wife and kids so that makes it even harder. But I just ship everything to work!!

What about ramen for dinner!?

I agree though. I try and save where I can so I get stuff I want. But I have a wife and kids so that makes it even harder. But I just ship everything to work!!
Haha I ship about 99% of my gear to work as well.

Spending extra money is worth it in the end. Most of my clothing will last at least 10 years if not more. Especially jackets/bibs. I only wear them 10-15 times a season. It's going to take a long time to wear out.

Back