• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First lite Tether bags

brock6212

So I’ve basically dismantled a first lite corrugate jacket to build my saddle. I cut the sleeves off, in hopes to salvage a hooded vest out of the deal. Dumb luck, but I only ended up using the upper portions of the sleeves, and had the last 8-9” remaining, down to the cuff. I originally was going to wrap an existing hand muff, but the sleeve remnants were way to tight. So here I sat with useless scraps.

I know lots of guys use the molle dump pouches, but they are so loud, and in the ensuing cold I can imagine they’ll get louder. It dawned on me I could simply stitch the sleeves together, and attach a piece of webbing, along with a triglide, and attach them to the molles on my saddle. Unfortunately I don’t have any triglides, but I did have some molle bungee clips. I ended up stitching those to the sleeve cuffs on the inside. Of course before all of this I coiled up my tethers to see if they’d fit. The stretch fabric works nicely to keep things tidy, and the stretchy/smaller cuff opening keeps things secure as well. They’re dead silent, at least compared to the dump pouches. In my experience this material gets even more quiet with use.
For reference, I’m running an 11mm 8‘ tether, no sewn eyelets-tied knots, a prusik on one, and a michocoan on the other, along with a biner on each hitch. Kinda seems bulky, but packs nicely in these new bags.

Attachments

• 9B2FA7C2-C956-49FC-90DD-BBF452206BE6.jpeg
    9B2FA7C2-C956-49FC-90DD-BBF452206BE6.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 3612B30C-F1E0-44D1-91AE-E70ED7989E3D.jpeg
    3612B30C-F1E0-44D1-91AE-E70ED7989E3D.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
I love that camo. Sure would be nice if we could just buy that fabric with camo pattern!

Nice sewing!

So I’ve basically dismantled a first lite corrugate jacket to build my saddle. I cut the sleeves off, in hopes to salvage a hooded vest out of the deal. Dumb luck, but I only ended up using the upper portions of the sleeves, and had the last 8-9” remaining, down to the cuff. I originally was going to wrap an existing hand muff, but the sleeve remnants were way to tight. So here I sat with useless scraps.

I know lots of guys use the molle dump pouches, but they are so loud, and in the ensuing cold I can imagine they’ll get louder. It dawned on me I could simply stitch the sleeves together, and attach a piece of webbing, along with a triglide, and attach them to the molles on my saddle. Unfortunately I don’t have any triglides, but I did have some molle bungee clips. I ended up stitching those to the sleeve cuffs on the inside. Of course before all of this I coiled up my tethers to see if they’d fit. The stretch fabric works nicely to keep things tidy, and the stretchy/smaller cuff opening keeps things secure as well. They’re dead silent, at least compared to the dump pouches. In my experience this material gets even more quiet with use.
For reference, I’m running an 11mm 8‘ tether, no sewn eyelets-tied knots, a prusik on one, and a michocoan on the other, along with a biner on each hitch. Kinda seems bulky, but packs nicely in these new bags.
Post some more pics of the saddle please.

Did you use a machine for stitching or handheld?
I have some projects I would like to tinker with this winter, been thinking about getting a (not sure on name) speedy stitching device?
Do you just order appropriate strength thread for the project at hand?
Or are there better options out there (if you do not have a sewing machine).

Did you use a machine for stitching or handheld?
I have some projects I would like to tinker with this winter, been thinking about getting a (not sure on name) speedy stitching device?
Do you just order appropriate strength thread for the project at hand?
Or are there better options out there (if you do not have a sewing machine).
You can get a brand new singer heavy duty with a good warranty for 150 at walmart.

You can get a brand new singer heavy duty with a good warranty for 150 at walmart.
I used the very one you’re talking about. Heavy Duty 44s. It will hammer through 3 layers of webbing, but 4 will start to jack with timing and bend/break needles.

You are way more ballsy then me for cutting up a FL jacket. Thats some real testicular fortitude my man.

Changed up the attachment on these. After the first outing it was apparent the bungees wasn’t a good long term idea. They started separating pretty quickly. I kinda thought it looked janky to begin with.

I took some webbing scraps and made some simple pass throughs with the tab that catches. Not sure what the technical name is. Before I sewed one to a pouch I slid it into the molle and gave it a good tug. Seems like it’ll work.

Attachments

• 47198EC0-DFBC-48C1-A9D3-8DCCA2DC2D6E.jpeg
    47198EC0-DFBC-48C1-A9D3-8DCCA2DC2D6E.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 31
Back