• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Mantis sit and one sticking climb/rappel for a big guy

SecretAgentMan

I'd start off my saying that this forum is such a wealth of information for newbies, and folks here are genuinely interested in helping someone out. So, thanks for that.

I'm about 6'3", 250 most days. 36" waist. I got my XL Mantis right after Christmas and like many, I went in head first and soaked up everything I could. I spent money recklessly. But whatever, most of what I don't wind up using I can sell or trade.

I settled on trying to one stick and rappel on single rope. Maybe not the easiest way to start, but the idea of not carry two sticks and being to able to go as high or as low as I want was appealing. I figured the beginning was as good of a time as any to learn what most might think is a little more advanced technique. I bought an Artisan platform to put on top of my Helium stick. I practiced several times in the yard and did anything new at ground level until I was very comfortable. I'm not a fan of heights, but if I feel safe, that is kept in check.

It took me a little while to get to height (maybe 25'-30' at head height). I'm sure I'll get more efficient with time. Learning to hang in the saddle dang near inverted to retrieve the stick seems to be the way to go maximize the gains with each stick movement. Also, I have a webbing step aide on it to give me another 18-20" or so with each move. I'm sure all of this has been covered in way more detail in a one sticking thread somewhere.

I've got a Cabela's Elite Scout pack that I use. It's plenty large for what I need. Maybe too large. My Mantis has two dump pouches on it that I bought on Amazon and a Allen retriever for my bow. For a tether and rappel rope, I have 8mm Oplux rope. Two separate pieces of rope, but I'll ultimately just use the rappel line as the tether too. I use a distel hitch while tethered and then a Grivel Mono Master with a Mad Rock Hulk HMS carabiner and a Sterling 6mm autoblock to come down. I may switch to the 6.8 mm. The 6.0 doesn't bite as well as I wish it would

Once I got to where I wanted to be, it was a constant battle the whole 3 hours I was out to get comfortable. I spent most of my time leaning. Some sitting. Maybe 70/30. Hip pinch galore both ways. I will say that I only had on some heavy material hunting pants with a leather belt. That could've been a big part of my issue. I've made my bridge adjustable, so I was able to play around with that some. I tinkered with tether height some, but it stay mostly at eye level (maybe another problem). I couldn't tell that the microfit adjusters did squat for me. I do have the recliner that Tethrd makes, and it was helpful to relieve some hip pinch. Regardless, I never sat still more than 10 minutes. I was under the impression that it should be worn above your iliac crest like a rock climbing harness, so that's what I did. That puts my buckle at just above my belly button. But I've seen other threads around here where folks said to have the top strap much lower, like down below your waist (to me, waist is below your gut, where normal fellers wear their belt.)

As far as the platform goes, my feet were plenty comfortable. I can see how having more surface area would be nice, but until I practice shooting at different angles more, I'm good with it.

I'm not giving up on it by any means. I know that everything has to find their own sweet spot. More time playing in the backyard is in order.
first hunt.jpg

I hate to say it but some people never find the mantis comfortable and some people love it

I do want to warn new saddle hunters so they don’t quit. You may need to try another brand or type of saddle. Don’t give up.

One sticking and rappelling aren’t to hard and are a good way to start

Saddles are like jeans. Your favourite brand may be uncomfortable for someone else.

Tethrd obviously is trying to address comfort with the phantom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Yeah, I love the concept enough to stay after it. If the Mantis isn't for me, I'll find someone to take it off my hands and go a different route. I wish the timing with the Phantom release was better, but it is what it is. I'm hoping that one of these nearby meetups comes to fruition and maybe I'll get to try before I buy with some fellow hunters, possibly.

I don't love my buddy's jeans, and he doesn't love mine. As far as I know...

Yeah, I love the concept enough to stay after it. If the Mantis isn't for me, I'll find someone to take it off my hands and go a different route. I wish the timing with the Phantom release was better, but it is what it is. I'm hoping that one of these nearby meetups comes to fruition and maybe I'll get to try before I buy with some fellow hunters, possibly.

I don't love my buddy's jeans, and he doesn't love mine. As far as I know...
HaHa... I edited my post to take out any confusion.

I like my mantis below my belt. Try moving it down on your body a bit. Also I've found pushing the bridge down on the loops helps pull the bottom of the saddle taking pressure off the hips

Second hunt (still ongoing) has been much improved thanks to y’all’s tips. Moving the top strap down helped tremendously. Short tether. Really, my tether length is only about the length of my distel hitch legs and the Petzl William biner. When standing, tether is at about neck height on the tree.

I made my Mantis bridge adjustable, but really, it’s about the same length as the stock one. And yes, moving the bridge toward the bottom of the loop helps a ton. I may have to figure out a way to make a channel there for it to stay put in. I’ve seen several diy methods on that around here somewhere. Hang in the there, fellow fat guys. It can be done.

About 30-45 min of daylight left. Time to lock in.

Back