• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First real hang out

wayne r

So I got all my diy kit together and wanted to get familiar with the set up before hunting properly, took all the kit and found a great spot to try everything out, it’s our roe deer rut so whilst hanging I thought I would have a go with calling. Now as I started the climb using DRT method I saw a young buck looking for the ladies so before I could even get set up on the platform I called him over for a look, he ended up catching my wind but entertaining and real impressed with hanging out

I'm new to the saddle hunting process this year and I have been thinking about trying the DRT method myself. What kind of rope are you using and where did you get it from? I watched a video of it and they was using Predator rope. I looked up the company they suggested and of course it is out of stock so I'm trying to decide on another rope.

Any good quality static climbing rope is suitable,8mm or above I think mine is 10mm stockist in the uk will probably be different but try a climbing shop or arborist stockists,These will probably be the cheapest you will need enough to double up over a branch unlike the SRT method for that though you need a few more things.
I have made some ally climbing sticks but after trying this method I found it simple to do, all you really need is a good rope a saddle or harness a couple of carabiners and a 2mm throw line and throw bag I haven't bothered with a friction saver but I think climbing would be even easier, it's really all about the thrust getting up but it is safe and I feel as quick as any other method I have had a full knee replacement so for me this is the easiest method and feel the safest, let us know how you get on, regards wayne

REI has good rope. Any 8mm actual climbing rope will work. Options on amazon, etc as well. A lot of these pre made lineman ropes and the others are pricey. They’re super easy to make.

Great videos, thanks for posting them! I'd love to hunt roe deer some day. When I was growing up, my grandparents had a roe buck skull mount in their house that my great-great grandfather shot in Germany in 1927 (if I remember correctly). It is part of the reason I got interested in hunting.

Great videos, thanks for posting them! I'd love to hunt roe deer some day. When I was growing up, my grandparents had a roe buck skull mount in their house that my great-great grandfather shot in Germany in 1927 (if I remember correctly). It is part of the reason I got interested in hunting.

I am not sure where you are in the world but if your ever in the uk you are welcome to hunt with me on my ground, the roe rut is around now give or take a week, so calling them in is exciting stalking on foot either in forestry or on arable land the challenges are different but both are great, I think roe deer are one of the most exciting of our species to hunt,regards wayne

I am not sure where you are in the world but if your ever in the uk you are welcome to hunt with me on my ground, the roe rut is around now give or take a week, so calling them in is exciting stalking on foot either in forestry or on arable land the challenges are different but both are great, I think roe deer are one of the most exciting of our species to hunt,regards wayne

Thank you very much! That is a very generous offer. I live in Ohio (United States). I may get to the UK in the next few years; you may be hearing from me again then. Best of luck during your season!

Thank you very much! That is a very generous offer. I live in Ohio (United States). I may get to the UK in the next few years; you may be hearing from me again then. Best of luck during your season!
Thanks I am looking forward to hunting this season I have had a few bucks already, I have a few trips lined up to hunt with the bow out of the Uk, just give us a shout if you do get across it would be great to get you a roe buck so you go full circle and have your own mount and story to tell, I am lucky to have some nice ground, good hunting,wayne

Back